My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

South of France - where to stay!?

6 replies

IWasFunBeforeMum · 25/01/2022 22:06

Bonsoir!

I want to take my kids (3 and 4) to the south of France in June with my parents. Planning to fly into Nice.

I've stayed in Antibes previously and loved it but wondering if anyone has stayed in any of the other towns on the coast such as Juan Les Pins, St Maxime or Frejus? Or are they all much of the same?

Want to avoid the obvious £££s spots (St Tropez and Cannes).

Any opinions on where to stay/avoid or any general comments welcome! TIA

OP posts:
MissAmbrosia · 26/01/2022 12:06

I've just booked a week in Juan Les Pins. The beach is lovely, really gently shelving, lots of shops and restaurants and it's really easy to get up and down the coast on the train. Carousels on the sea front. Ste Maxime is really nice and not quite as pricey as St Tropez - but you can do a boat trip. Villefranche Sur Mer is easy on the bus or train from Nice. We rented an apartment once with a stunning view over the bay. It is very hilly though.

Rua13 · 26/01/2022 12:56

Pierre et Vacances have different locations in the South of France.it's been a while since I've stayed there though.
//www.pierreetvacances.com

MissAmbrosia · 26/01/2022 21:32

It depends what you want really. Nice itself has plenty going on - museums, tourist train, markets. If you want the beach and not to travel too far from Nice, Juan Les Pins wins hands down. From Nice you could also get the train along the coast into Italy. Ceriale, Loano etc are very nice towns and much cheaper than the French part of the Riviera. Alternative to fly to Toulon/Hyeres? Cavalaire and Le Lavandou also nice and maybe cheaper. I have only driven through rather than stayed though.

IWasFunBeforeMum · 26/01/2022 21:44

Thanks for the replies..I think we'll definitely look for an aparthotel in Juan Les Pins.

OP posts:
MissAmbrosia · 26/01/2022 22:04

www.lesstrelitzias.com/en/accueil.php This got very good reviews on Booking.com. I was toying with idea with apartment as my friend was thinking of coming so had it on my list. It's difficult with Covid as in olden days I would have thought nothing about paying upfront for a nice place via Homeaway etc but now I am not keen to pay everything too much in advance.

IWasFunBeforeMum · 26/01/2022 22:14

@missambrosia same here.. Ive watched some horror stories each morning on Ripped Off Britain Holidays on 1 and says about when you book separately you're not as protected when you don't book things as a package so me and my mum are going old school and going to visit an agent who will hopefully a. Find us somewhere to stay and b. Make sure it's all watertight in the event we can't go etc. Looks like it'll be costing a few grand as 7 of us so I'll be happier knowing we're covered if anything happens.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.