Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Holiday must haves ideas

21 replies

Mrsmch123 · 25/01/2022 11:29

Hi, we have booked our first holiday as a family of three. We will be going to Majorca for two weeks. My little one will almost be one.
How many swim nappies to take? I'm going to have him off formula milk by then as he will be one three days after we come back. So Shouldn't need sterilising stuff.
Any good tips/hacks on what to take?
We have paid for a seat for him on the plane to try and make life a little easier🙈

OP posts:
Please
or

rosydreams · 25/01/2022 16:00

you need something for them to suck on,on the plane it will help with the pressure on the ears.

swim nappies it depends how often you want to go swimming.Maybe get two reusable ones.That way you can hand wash one let it dry while you use the other.

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/305831765?selectedUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fdigitalcontent.api.tesco.com%2Fv2%2Fmedia%2Fghs%2F8d96fe99-4720-4070-bfde-0cc49e23f702%2Fsnapshotimagehandler_1547913038.jpeg%3Fh%3D540%26w%3D540

a spray sun cream good for a wriggling child ,i suggest aldi sun cream .Really good does not react with my daughters sensitive skin.Just remember to reapply after swimming or every few hours.

plenty snacks for plane

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 25/01/2022 17:11

Black out blind
Plastic cutlery
If you plan on spending a lot of time on the beach, take a UV pop up tent for your LO to nap in.
Maybe dummy clips for the plane
Inflatable swim seat
Calpol sachets
Find out whether your bathroom will have a bath, and if it doesn’t find out whether the hotel has baby baths. If they don’t, then you could either take an inflatable baby bath or step into the shower yourself holding your LO.

Please
or

gogohm · 25/01/2022 17:52

Take snacks for the plane, and things to distract, a reclining buggy so you can go out in the evening (and a light blanket can get a little chilly in the evening) and remember to have a great time

Please
or

Mrsmch123 · 25/01/2022 19:52

Fab ideas so far so thank you everyone!

OP posts:
Please
or

languagelover96 · 26/01/2022 14:28

First aid kit
Money
Camera
A positive mindset
Books
Games
Wine
Toys
Towel
Insurance
Common sense
Spare clothes
Cutlery
Snacks
Lots of patience
Contact details etc

Please
or

Mrsmch123 · 26/01/2022 14:56

@languagelover96 thanks is it that bad taking a one year old🙈😂

OP posts:
Please
or

justaweeone · 26/01/2022 15:11

It's fine taking a one year old, mine are now 18 & 24 years! That age they are not mobile like toddlers or as they are now at an age where they double your bar bill🙈😂
It's just a bit different, the secret I found was to chill and go with the flow. Ours just got put in the buggy in the evening and we went out for a drink and to eat, we didn't worry about their bed time.
Although my Dd once threw up on me on the plane so although we had spare clothes for her I didn't for me, she could have at least done it on Dh. One think I did find really handy on holidays was a bundle of cotton sarongs that you could use for loads of things and were easily washed and dried.
Enjoy

Please
or

Rosa · 26/01/2022 15:19

pegs . If you are walking and buggy / l/o is in the sun take a sarong / cotton muslin and peg it over the buggy . Parasols never cover all .. Make sure its something light so the air gets through - My buggy was open at the back when reclined ! Stickers on the plane , kept mine amused for hours.

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 26/01/2022 15:23

Uv sunsuits.

I would keep him on the formula rather than risking a upset tummy over unfamiliar milk.

Please
or

Flingingmelon · 26/01/2022 15:28

I used to apply sun cream with a sponge, easier to make sure you've got all the nooks and crannies.

Second pegs! On the plane I used to put a blanket or a muslin under DS and then pegged the loose ends to the pocket in the seat in front of us. Saves hours and hours of trying to retrieve lost toys / snacks etc from under the seats around you, everything falls into the muslin.

Please
or

MotherOfCrocodiles · 26/01/2022 15:32

Re swim nappies, many pools require double nappy- disposable + happy nappy type.

We took dds little bike when we went on holiday about that age, she was highly entertained by riding it up and down the roads in the campsite and indeed, around the airport...!

Please
or

justaweeone · 26/01/2022 15:42

OOh, it's all coming back!
Forgot about pegs and uv tops/ all in ones
I used to tie a bandana on their head as well as it was harder to remove than a hat.
Are you self catering OP?

Please
or

Theyweretheworstoftimes · 26/01/2022 15:49

Padded bag for car seat. Protects car seat on plane

Buggy bag - stops pushchair getting trashed

Buggy fan keeps them cool

Bath mat - hotel baths are slippery

Fabric high chair- no guarantee that places will have them and this is a game changer Chuck it in your hand bag and off you go.

Bambiomio do great swim nappies

UV sunsuit

Roll on sunscreen

Please
or

usernotfound0000 · 26/01/2022 16:18

Portable high chair/booster seat thing - we found not everywhere had highchairs and sometimes the ones provided were grim.

Reusable swim nappies are great, I take 2 and a handful of dispoable ones just in case. You can also reuse the disposable ones if they haven''t pooed in them - just leave them to dry.

Snoozeshade for buggy - a safe way to cover the pram for naps without them over heating.

I took some toddler snacks (bear paws/fruit yo-yos/rice cakes, that kind of thing) as sometimes there wasn't suitable options for DDs when they were little, or it helps to pacify if waiting for food in a restaurant.

Thick UV swimsuit - even if it is warm, the pool will likely be cold and a thick swimsuit will allow them to tolerate the water for longer.

Baby swim ring - we found this great as they didn't get as cold and your arms don't get so tired holding them all the time in the water.

Please
or

TheFishWillSeeYouNow · 26/01/2022 16:30

Make sure you have travel insurance and that you know what to do if he gets ill while you are out there.

Please
or

SomethingAboutNothing · 26/01/2022 16:44

If you are spending much time on the beach then take talc, it magically removes sand from hands and feet (and everywhere else).

Please
or

Mrsmch123 · 26/01/2022 19:59

@Aroundtheworldin80moves that's a good point about the milk!
@justaweeone we are all inclusive but have a basic kitchen in the apartment.
Some really good ideas on here thanks everyone!😊

OP posts:
Please
or

justaweeone · 26/01/2022 21:21

Tube of travel wash/small pack of detergent depending on if you have to use a specific type/brand
Depending on what your little one eats some
cereal/porridge, Ella kitchen type stuff etc for if they wake up early or need an early evening snack.

Please
or

justaweeone · 26/01/2022 21:27

Just remembered that when ours were younger we allocated a time when either my Dh or I 'was on watch'
Therefore there was never had the situation when we thought the other one was 'watching them'.

Please
or

Topbird29 · 26/01/2022 21:31

We got flight earplug things for plane to help with pressure- boots did them in adult or young child size. Although we did need a spare set as one fell out. Am sure they helped as 2 year old and 4 1/2 year old didn't complain of hurt ears. This was about 5 years ago now so not if still sold. Also, kindle fire /tablet with episodes of peppa pig etc, and maybe some interactive games you can do with them, and over ear headphones are good. Not normally one to encourage constant screens, but they are helpful on a plane! Maybe a simple sticker book. Basically nothing with bits to fall on floor. For beach - small pop up tent is good.

Please
or

micacarata · 27/01/2022 12:48

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or