Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Single parent - first holiday abroad

7 replies

Metooyoubear · 24/01/2022 21:25

Single parent to DD and wanting to go abroad in the Easter holidays. Looking for somewhere hot so thinking Canary Islands. I’ve not been Lanzarote before so this is looking like a good option. I’m really nervous to do our first solo holiday. Looking at all inclusive family resorts.

Any tips ?

OP posts:
Please
or

Yellow85 · 24/01/2022 21:32

How old is DD? We’ve been to Lanzarote twice with toddlers, Playa Blanca both times. Flight a little bit of a struggle, but it was great whilst there. Not too hot in winter, I would advise somewhere with a heated kids pool though as it can be quite windy!

We stayed at Elba Lanzarote and Santos Papagayo. Elba was a bit nicer, but service and entertainment better in Sandos.

Lovely walkway right along the front the kids toddled along. Rubicon Marina had an indoor softplay too which was good for getting out the sun.

Please
or

Metooyoubear · 24/01/2022 21:36

She’s 7 so a little older. Thank you for the recommendations, I will have a look at those hotels now :)

OP posts:
Please
or

Yellow85 · 24/01/2022 21:44

In which case the Elba is right next to a water park. There’s also some trampolines down on the main beach front promenade too.

It’s a nice place to start as it’s not too much. My eldest was 6 last time we went.

Please
or

megladon2020 · 24/01/2022 22:12

Maybe the holiday village in lanzaraote. Good quality, great entertainment, kids clubs etc.

Please
or

CheshireSuburbs · 24/01/2022 22:36

You will be fine and it's a very empowering experience to know you can do it. I think I took my two when they were 4&5 the first time. I went to a family resort as well because my dc loved the entertainment and we had a great time. Take yourself some books to read.
I have been several times and sometimes I have struck lucky with the kids finding friends and the parents of the kids being welcoming to me which makes for a lovely holiday.
I have also had a couple where the DC didn't make friends or the parents weren't as welcoming and i have had had to have a word with myself for being upset about being (afaik) the only single parent in a sea of families. I have seen other single parents but invariably they came with a grandparent or two.
The staff at these places are usually so helpful and kind and your DD will love it.
I didn't bother going all inclusive because had done that a few times and they just ended up eating plain pasta or crackers so not worth it for me.

Please
or

PicaK · 26/01/2022 19:24

No use for Easter but there's a single parents group holiday abroad in October half term. They also do camping in the Summer
www.campmates.co.uk/overview-campmates-spain.html

Please
or

Notnastypasty · 26/01/2022 23:50

I’m also a single parent to a DD and have been taking her on holiday alone since she was 8. Holiday villages can be good as there’s lots for kids to do although there’s lots of other all inclusive resorts that are just as good.

We went to Lanzarote a few years ago at Easter and it was so windy - made it very chilly and not much fun to sunbathe. Gran Canaria might be better at that time of year.

Please
or