Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

9 year old covid vaccination

9 replies

Zodlebud · 21/01/2022 13:16

Not strictly travel but I have the potential to go and work in NYC for a year. All fine and wonderful but I have a 9 year old with no health issues who would need double vaccinating, ideally before we go. I am happy with her being unvaccinated in the U.K. in accordance with government policy, but equally happy getting her jabbed in accordance with NYC policy.

My request to my GP was met with a flat out no. Can’t find anywhere that can do them privately. Is my only option really going to be getting her done once we arrive and have three weeks of her not being able to do anything between first and second jabs?

Anyone found any secret knowledge?

My hope is that it will become an optional thing and treated like normal holiday jabs in the future, but there’s literally no guidance or inklings anywhere online about it.

OP posts:
Please
or

WiseUpJanetWeiss · 22/01/2022 19:44

No there are no plans at present to vaccinate non-CV children under 12. It is not possible to get Covid vaccines privately.

Good luck in your new job!

Please
or

Zodlebud · 23/01/2022 09:19

Yes this is what I knew to be the case - I just wondered if there are any special dispensations in these sorts of circumstances. I could provide copies of work contracts etc. My employer is adamant there must be a way to get her jabbed in advance, but short of flying into another state and getting her jabbed there, staying there three weeks, then getting her second jab and then waiting 14 days, I can’t see another way round it. That’s five weeks just hanging around before we could move to NYC and be able to actually go in anywhere.

OP posts:
Please
or

vickyc90 · 23/01/2022 09:26

Yup it sucks, wish they were offered privately. We are looking at getting DS done in Italy with cheap flights

Please
or

MrsPerfect12 · 23/01/2022 09:28

There is a jab available in the US that doesn't require a second dose. I can't remember the name of it.

Please
or

Zodlebud · 23/01/2022 14:03

The Janssen single jab dose isn’t authorised for use in under 18s.

Jabs in Italy are only available to those with citizenship at present apparently. It looks like my only option is some arse about face going to the USA several weeks before I need to be there.

OP posts:
Please
or

Dontrainonmyparade · 24/01/2022 20:31

@Zodlebud I’m taking my child to Austria for covid vaccines, they will vaccinate non resident children, quite a few parents have taken their children there.

Please
or

Zodlebud · 24/01/2022 20:43

Oooooh - that’s very interesting thank you @Dontrainonmyparade. I have been googling flights to NYC for Feb half term and Easter. I’ll look into Austria.

OP posts:
Please
or

Dontrainonmyparade · 24/01/2022 20:45

Please
or

gogohm · 24/01/2022 20:46

See if you can vaccinate her in france, if she's had one vaccine then it will be quicker on arrival in the USA - also you could try a private gp here and see if it's possible that way

Please
or