Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Successful holidays with lone teenager?

21 replies

IToldYouIWasFreaky · 20/01/2022 13:35

I'm looking for a summer holiday for me, DP and 14 year old DS. DS wants to go somewhere hot with a pool. We've usually done those types of holidays with extended family so DS has had other kids to hang out with but that won't be happening this year so it'll just be the three of us.
My concern is that if we do a "normal" beach/pool type holiday at a hotel or villa, DP and I will want to lounge and DS will want to be in the pool all day, which will be a bit miserable for him on his own!
I'd really like somewhere with lots going on. DS is really sporty and would love to try watersports etc. DP and I wouldn't be averse to joining in either.
Does such a thing exist? If you've had a really successful holiday with just one teenager then I'd love to hear about it!

OP posts:
Please
or

doorornottodoor · 20/01/2022 15:37

Neilson/Mark Warner? Or take a friend for him?

Please
or

m1shap3 · 20/01/2022 15:46

We've had this issue, so we learned to ski and went skiing

Please
or

corlan · 20/01/2022 15:46

Explore do Family holidays where there would be other teenagers. There are a few really active ones which your son might enjoy. If you look on their website, they tell you the average age of children that have taken each trip . I've been on a few with my kids and really enjoyed them.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 20/01/2022 15:49

Depends on your budget - Eurocamp/Canvas etc have parks that are well set up for teenagers with lots of activities laid on. Companies like Neilson do watersports holidays.

Please
or

delilahbucket · 20/01/2022 15:50

Stay somewhere where there will be others if your child is sociable. In 2020 we didn't do this and DS was bored so he's requested at least a shared pool this year.

Please
or

EdinaMonsoon · 20/01/2022 16:21

Several places in the Greek islands have organised beach clubs for water sports to entertain teenagers. Off the top of my head, Naxos and Lefkas are both great for windsurfing, kite surfing, paddle boarding etc but plenty to do away from that scene too.

In Naxos I would recommend staying somewhere like Agios Prokopios because it's a more organised resort with a great beach and more teens around. DS could easily have a wander around by himself as it's very safe. Plenty of accommodation with pools too. You can then take the bus or drive to the water sport beaches when you have sessions booked (a very easy one-road drive along the beach road). Personally I think a teen would find the surf beaches a bit quiet outside of their sessions as their isn't a lot else to do - they tend to be proper barefoot surfer type places with a basic carpark and a taverna/cafe! Mikri Vigla is the best one apparently.

On Lefkas, Club Vass in Vassiliki is the most famous I think but there are probably others too.

Please
or

Theblacksheepandme · 20/01/2022 17:05

Austria is great in the Summer.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 20/01/2022 17:11

We took my teen interrailing a couple of years ago. There was a notable lack of pools though. She really enjoyed it.

Please
or

gogohm · 20/01/2022 17:15

We went to a tui magiclife resort for a last minute break and they had all kinds of sports (not water particularly but others do) lots of pools and in school holidays they have a teen programme (we were in term time so only the tots club was happening) they market all over Europe so a good opportunity for him to meet young people from other countries. I think there was a learn to surf option and snorkelling

Please
or

gogohm · 20/01/2022 17:16

Oh and it was pretty cheap considering it was ai 4 star

Please
or

Ragwort · 20/01/2022 17:22

Another recommendation for Neilson - we have an only child, a DS, & we had two fantastic holidays at Neilson in Greece. DS was 16 the first time we went..... he is very sporty and loved it. Initially he said he wasn't going to join in anything but after about five minutes he had signed up for everything going and was the one organising the pool games etc. Met some really nice friends and they all enjoyed hanging out together. I think technically the second time he was too old for the teenagers club but he was still able to join in... had a wonderful time and so did DH and I. We've since booked to back on our own.

Please
or

Twizbe · 20/01/2022 17:24

I was just coming to say mark Warner as well. Loads to do that's included in the price.

Please
or

Karenetta · 20/01/2022 17:27

Lots of coastal resorts all over the place have wee snorkeling/scuba/surfing clubs that you can book sessions and classes with. If you Google the name of where you're going it will give you details of such businesses nearby. That way you're not tied into programmes or limited to hotels etc that might not suit you in other ways.

Please
or

dingledanglewoowoo · 20/01/2022 17:56

We go camping in France, and there are usually groups of teens mooching round who've palled up at the site. The campsite are amazing, pools, tennis courts etc. And if you're not a camper most have Eurocamp type lodges available.

Please
or

Imissmoominmama · 20/01/2022 18:00

Neilson. I’ve taken my teenage son by myself and we’ve had an absolute blast.

Please
or

sweepthenmop · 20/01/2022 18:05

Neilson - awesome holidays for everyone!

Please
or

Chewbecca · 20/01/2022 18:08

Cruising worked really well for us and our lone teenager.

On sea days, he would hang out with his new friends.

On port days, we would go out together and explore the local town or go on a trip like a catamaran / snorkelling trip.

We had dinner together each evening, then he’d meet up with teens after dinner.

It was a great balance of family time and couple time. Lots of fun for him and independence but in a very controlled way. He loved the ability to go get food and drink anytime he fancied too - midnight pizza was always fun.

Please
or

Keepitonthedownlow · 20/01/2022 18:21

PGR have a resort in France don't they?

Please
or
Please
or

Babymamamama · 20/01/2022 18:33

Club med?

Please
or

BackToWhereItAllBegan · 20/01/2022 22:35

I agree with @Chewbecca, we did a Mediterranean cruise with my then 14yr old DS and it was a great success. We all enjoyed the port days with excursions such as Pompeii and the Nou Camp them on sea days there was tons to do on the ship either as a family or with the many other teens on board.

Please
or