Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Long haul with twins

16 replies

glasshalfsomething · 19/01/2022 06:28

In April we will be making a long haul flight with twin 14 month olds!

I’ve got the bulkhead cot seats booked. It’s an overnight flight.

Bags are planned for each baby with all the usual stuff.
But how do I plan for milk? But cows milk at the airport?

Could do with all your top tips and advice!

OP posts:
Please
or

catblanket · 19/01/2022 06:37

Are you flying BA?

Please
or

Bananarice · 19/01/2022 06:43

I don't know about now, but Qatar and Ryanair have given me free hot water to make formula with.

Some flights lt you preorder food, see if you can add

Please
or

catblanket · 19/01/2022 06:44

The reason I ask is because only BA have special seats that would suit a 14 month old. They are like massive bouncy chairs that fit into the bassinet clips.

All other airlines (that I know of) will only have bassinets, which your twins will unfortunately be too big for now.

If you’re flying BA you will be fine - we specifically chose a BA flight for our twins at this age because of the special seats. But if you’re flying another airline I would strongly recommend that you buy at least one extra seat for the twins, if not two. A long haul flight with active twins on your laps is not fun.

Please
or

catblanket · 19/01/2022 06:45

Oh and as for milk, I wouldn’t bother at that age. But if you really want to, take some UHT milk - it will be allowed through security.

Please
or

glasshalfsomething · 19/01/2022 06:46

@catblanket

The reason I ask is because only BA have special seats that would suit a 14 month old. They are like massive bouncy chairs that fit into the bassinet clips.

All other airlines (that I know of) will only have bassinets, which your twins will unfortunately be too big for now.

If you’re flying BA you will be fine - we specifically chose a BA flight for our twins at this age because of the special seats. But if you’re flying another airline I would strongly recommend that you buy at least one extra seat for the twins, if not two. A long haul flight with active twins on your laps is not fun.

Yes! BA. Have seen those seats.
OP posts:
Please
or

glasshalfsomething · 19/01/2022 06:47

@catblanket

Oh and as for milk, I wouldn’t bother at that age. But if you really want to, take some UHT milk - it will be allowed through security.

A bottle still soothes them massively and I thought it would come in handy if they are cranky going to sleep.

Got plenty of snacks for actual hunger; it’s more to keep them calm
OP posts:
Please
or

OldMMC · 19/01/2022 06:58

Keep checking back on the website that you still have the bulkhead seats. We flew long haul with BA with a baby and they moved us twice, they moved us back when we asked.

Please
or

glasshalfsomething · 19/01/2022 07:12

I’ve just confirmed on the phone, as our flights got switched but will def check back.

We connect in London. Original plan was to leave buggy at the desk and do carriers all the way to destination.

However we now have 3.5 hours between flights at 8pm at night. Not sure whether to keep with the original plan.

Packing nappies, clothes, calpol, snacks, toys, thin blankets.

Any other suggestions?

OP posts:
Please
or

catblanket · 19/01/2022 07:16

Can you afford to invest in two Babyzen Yoyo strollers? You can get connectors for them now to join two together. They’re an absolute life saver for long haul, especially as you have a layover, as you can bring them into the cabin and put them in the overhead locker.

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 19/01/2022 07:44

Pack of change of clothes for yourselves too in case one of them is sick over you or has a poonami!

Please
or

glasshalfsomething · 19/01/2022 12:13

I think that’s out of budget and we wouldn’t use them any other time. The good old baby jogger will have to do

OP posts:
Please
or

glasshalfsomething · 19/01/2022 19:29

That’s a good shout @emmathedilemma! Noted.

OP posts:
Please
or

Rrrob · 19/01/2022 19:43

Good luck @glasshalfsomething! I’ve not taken my twins on a plane yet.

You know you can rent baby yo-yo pushchairs? A twin mum friend just did for a flight to SA.

Please
or

glasshalfsomething · 20/01/2022 05:57

Oh. Where did she rent from?

OP posts:
Please
or

Diggersaursarethebest · 20/01/2022 07:00

Sometimes airports have courtesy pushchairs that they let parents borrow between the gate and the bagage check - I bet you could organize that for your London stop.

Please
or

glasshalfsomething · 21/01/2022 12:44

Can’t see anything for healthrow @Diggersaursarethebest but will keep looking

OP posts:
Please
or