Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Passport Application Turnaround Return of Supporting Documents

17 replies

afuckinggoat · 18/01/2022 19:46

I've got another thread going about this, but wondered if there were any other people who applied to passports end of last year (I applied in November) who could tell me how long it took for them to receive their supporting documents back?

I am meant to be going on holiday on 30th Jan, but the supporting documents from my son's application, which include my passport), still has not been returned. I received his passport over two weeks ago now.

OP posts:
Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 18/01/2022 19:55

Applied end of October
Recieved new passports end of November
Recueved old passports mid December

Please
or

BurntToastAgain · 18/01/2022 19:57

I received my passport last week, and received the supporting document the next day.

Please
or

BurntToastAgain · 18/01/2022 19:58

Why do you need the supporting documents to go on holiday?

If it’s a birth certificate, you can buy another copy.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 18/01/2022 20:02

Why did you send your passport? You normally only need to put the passport number on the application not send the actual passport

Please
or

afuckinggoat · 18/01/2022 20:04

@Aroundtheworldin80moves

Applied end of October
Recieved new passports end of November
Recueved old passports mid December

Do you mind me asking how many working days between receiving the new passport and the supporting documents?
OP posts:
Please
or

afuckinggoat · 18/01/2022 20:05

@dementedpixie

Why did you send your passport? You normally only need to put the passport number on the application not send the actual passport

I sent my passport as a supporting document for my son's first passport application.
OP posts:
Please
or

afuckinggoat · 18/01/2022 20:05

@BurntToastAgain

Why do you need the supporting documents to go on holiday?

If it’s a birth certificate, you can buy another copy.

The supporting document is my passport. I sent it for my son's passport application.
OP posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 18/01/2022 20:06

But you don't need to send your passport as supporting evidence as you put your passport number on the application. I've never sent my passport when applying for my kids' passports

Please
or

dementedpixie · 18/01/2022 20:07

Do you have a British passport?
Hope they haven't lost it as you wouldn't normally send it as supporting evidence

Please
or

TwoBlueFish · 18/01/2022 20:08

I applied at the end of November for mine and my 2 DS’s passports. They were all renewals but were first adult passports for both DS’s. We’ve had the new passports and the old ones for at least a couple of weeks. One application went to Peterborough, the others to Liverpool.

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 18/01/2022 20:09

@afuckinggoat it was 2weeks 2 days between the two deliveries. One from Liverpool, one from Durham. (Both applications went through the process pretty much identically)

Please
or

alwaysraining123 · 18/01/2022 20:09

I can’t remember the exact time frame between receiving my sons passport and birth certificate back but it was between 3-4 weeks

Please
or

afuckinggoat · 18/01/2022 20:11

@dementedpixie

Do you have a British passport?
Hope they haven't lost it as you wouldn't normally send it as supporting evidence

I've just re-read the guidance and I only needed to send my passport for a non-British parent supporting document.

I am devastated.
OP posts:
Please
or

KristaK · 19/01/2022 09:50

I wold contact them and, if they have lost it, try to get it replaced via the 1 week service in time for your trip. We have been going through the process for one of my daughters and the guidance is a mess at the moment - my husband is Irish and we now had to follow the non-British process according to the booklet but then when I got to the desk they said 'oh, we don't need all that stuff'. I think the changeover in rules is creating some problems. If they have lost your passport I dont think you should have to pay to replace it! It's worth doing it soon though, given how quickly you are travelling?

Please
or

afuckinggoat · 19/01/2022 13:43

I managed to get over the horror of having sent my passport away unnecessarily without drinking so I am counting that as a win.

I called again this morning and was advised that if I cancelled my passport and reported it lost, I could apply for a new passport through the premium online service and collect it in 3 days.

This is different to the information I'd been told so far but I did it anyway, only to discover that the online premium service is not available for lost passports.

I've ended up booking an appointment for tomorrow in Newport. It's an 8 day turnaround (I really hope it's not 8 working days!!) for a 1 week fast track service. That'll bring us to Friday and hopefully get it in time for the holiday.

Only limiting factor now is whether it is approved as lost when they might still have it.

Has anyone used the fast track service recently? How many days did it take?

OP posts:
Please
or

boringaccountant · 19/01/2022 13:56

Just something to think about: did you enter passport numbers when booking your holiday/flights. I recently booked a flight and there was a note on there to say make sure your passport number was correct and valid because it couldn't be changed after booking.

Please
or

afuckinggoat · 20/01/2022 14:38

Application was accepted at my Fast Track appointment.

I was terrified that it would be rejected because the person who countersigned for me yesterday let their bloody signature go outside the box (and I'd already fluffed my spare form).

Luckily, I don't think I actually needed the counter signature for the fast track application as the lovely lady doing my appointment said she could ID me from my lost passport photo.

Wish me luck that it arrives in time for next weekend!

OP posts:
Please
or