Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Antigen test

13 replies

loveisagirlnameddaisy · 17/01/2022 18:06

Just looking at entry requirements for France for school trip for DD in the summer. It says 'negative PCR or antigen test result taken 24 hours pre-departure'. I know I should know this by now, but is an antigen test the same thing as the lateral flow tests we've all been doing at home?

And if so, how can countries trust the results when they can so easily be faked? I've always assumed it would need to be a test administered by a healthcare professional so the results are more robust?

OP posts:
Please
or

LakeShoreD · 17/01/2022 18:07

Yes it’s the same sort of test but it has to be done at a clinic precisely so you can’t fake it

Please
or

DistrictCommissioner · 17/01/2022 18:08

I had exactly the same question today!

Please
or

LakeShoreD · 17/01/2022 18:10

See link here: uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-between-France-and-the-UK-28918
Self-administered tests whose results are not certified by a laboratory (e.g. free tests provided by the NHS) are not authorized for travel. The NHS has stated that it will not carry out any tests for the purposes of travel. People should therefore use private organizations providing a similar service. No specific tests exist which are linked to the new variant identified.

Please
or

loveisagirlnameddaisy · 17/01/2022 18:54

@LakeShoreD

See link here: uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-between-France-and-the-UK-28918
Self-administered tests whose results are not certified by a laboratory (e.g. free tests provided by the NHS) are not authorized for travel. The NHS has stated that it will not carry out any tests for the purposes of travel. People should therefore use private organizations providing a similar service. No specific tests exist which are linked to the new variant identified.

Thanks for this - will do some more research.

If it's done through a private provider, is there any benefit to paying for an antigen instead of a PCR?
OP posts:
Please
or

chipsandpeas · 17/01/2022 18:59

antigens are a lot cheaper

Please
or

loveisagirlnameddaisy · 17/01/2022 19:07

Just looked at the Randox website and looks like you can still do them at home, email them the results and they send you a certificate. All sounds completely pointless.

OP posts:
Please
or

AnyFucker · 17/01/2022 19:13

All sounds completely pointless

You just realised this ? Smile

Please
or

LakeShoreD · 17/01/2022 19:14

@loveisagirlnameddaisy

Just looked at the Randox website and looks like you can still do them at home, email them the results and they send you a certificate. All sounds completely pointless.

Well yes 🤣
If trip isn’t until the summer I wouldn’t even think about it now. Revisit a few weeks before as chances are it’ll change a dozen times between now and then.
Please
or

gogohm · 17/01/2022 19:15

You have to take a photo and upload it, but I wouldn't book anything yet, there's a good chance they will be dropped before summer

Please
or

Abraxan · 17/01/2022 19:17

@LakeShoreD

Yes it’s the same sort of test but it has to be done at a clinic precisely so you can’t fake it

Not all countries require it to be done in person, some countries accept privately bought LFTs which are done at home and posted.
Please
or

lljkk · 17/01/2022 19:18

I dunno about Randox, but with C19, you use their app or portal to upload the images. (it's not email) The image still needs a visible control line so you have to figure out how to get that without giving a sample -- or just give a sample. You also need to show your ID in the image with the test result.

Agree with others that the rules may well change and soon, plan the test as late as possible.

Please
or

Abraxan · 17/01/2022 19:18

Sorry - not posted by mail. I mean the LFT qr code is posted online to a website and the test result - either typed in or a photograph of result shown

Please
or

loveisagirlnameddaisy · 17/01/2022 19:22

Thanks everyone and yes, wise advice to wait as the rules are changing all the time!

OP posts:
Please
or