Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Blow - out family holiday?

43 replies

AnSionnachGlic · 16/01/2022 19:43

Have unexpectedly extra budget for our summer holiday, so would love some advice on possible destinations. Have not been abroad for 3 years ,( due to health, covid etc) , and have had a few milestone family birthday s so want to treat ourselves. Have been looking at Sugar Beach in St Lucia and also Maldives but going round in circles! It's for myself, dh and 4 teenage/adult kids ,( ages 16 - 21,) so would like villa type property on 5 star resort , with watersports, spa and good food,! Have any of you got any recommendations?? We are tied to school/college holidays so has to be July - August.

OP posts:
Please
or

wanderlustgirl · 16/01/2022 20:13

Maldives is my favourite beach holiday and if you choose the right hotel so much to do in terms of sports facilities etc

Please
or

AnSionnachGlic · 16/01/2022 20:21

Thanks wanderlustgirl, can you recommend a particular area in Maldives? It's so confusing with all the options!

OP posts:
Please
or

shivawn · 17/01/2022 01:16

It'll be rainy season in both those places in July and August, you could get lucky with the weather but I'd be slow to risk it on a blow out holiday. Mauritius or Bali might be options for that time of year? I don't know what the covid restrictions are in either place though.

Please
or

Emily29 · 17/01/2022 19:59

Blue Waters Antigua (Cove Suites)

The Bodyholiday St Lucia

Colony Club Barbados (or other hotels in the Holetown area)

Please
or

savvy7 · 17/01/2022 21:51

The Caribbean is a better option for July and Barbados or similar might be more suitable for teens. The Maldives is better at Easter weather wise.

Please
or

RubyViolet · 17/01/2022 21:57

@Emily29

Blue Waters Antigua (Cove Suites)

The Bodyholiday St Lucia

Colony Club Barbados (or other hotels in the Holetown area)

Barbados Colony Club is great for teens, free water sports, waterski instruction on a beautiful beach.
Other hotels on the same West Coast l would recommend are The Royal Pavillion, The Tamarind and Crystal Cove.
Please
or

RubyViolet · 17/01/2022 21:59

Late July/ early August is also Crop Over carnival on Barbados so a fabulous time to visit.

Please
or

RubyViolet · 17/01/2022 22:07

Just noticed you wanted a Villa type property.
The hotels l mentioned would be rooms not villas.
There are 2 villa “resorts” The Royal Westmoreland and Sugar Hill. But l can also vouch for booking a villa independent from resorts and booking into the 5* spas at Sandy Lane, Coral Reef Hotel etc.
www.blueskyluxury.com/barbados/ This is a good place to start looking for villas.

Please
or

SarahJessicaParkin · 17/01/2022 22:10

I've been to St Lucia and it was beautiful. We also went in July/August though and we did get a proper hurricane! They had to put sandbags around the hotel and the friend I was with was having a full blown panic attack in the night as it sounded like like roof might come off the building. It was fine though and we lived to tell the tale

Please
or

RubyViolet · 17/01/2022 22:26

@SarahJessicaParkin

I've been to St Lucia and it was beautiful. We also went in July/August though and we did get a proper hurricane! They had to put sandbags around the hotel and the friend I was with was having a full blown panic attack in the night as it sounded like like roof might come off the building. It was fine though and we lived to tell the tale

Yikes ! A hurricane definitely isn’t fun. St Lucia is stunningly beautiful though !
Barbados is further South than St Lucia and out of the hurricane belt. It’s stinking hot in July though, but l don’t mind that.
Please
or

whiteroseredrose · 17/01/2022 22:45

I was looking at Costa Rica pre Covid. It looks amazing with lots to do. Volcanoes, rope bridges through rainforest, beaches, snorkeling, wildlife. My DC would have loved it. We aren't sunbathing people though.

Please
or

SarahJessicaParkin · 18/01/2022 06:29

Tbh ruby, it was fine. The hotel had a bit of flooding, but it soon drained away and we didn't even skip a meal iirc. Friend I was with was overreacting a little imo, truth be told.

And it only affected maybe a day of our 10 day holiday. The rest of the time it was scorching and mainly dry, if a bit grey and humid sometimes.

Please
or

Itsnotdeep · 18/01/2022 06:40

We went to Indonesia in August and the weather was lovely. I'm not a fan of the Caribbean really, there is more to do /see in Indonesia and the food is delicious. Have you thought about that? We travelled a bit and went to Java and Lombok. My teens loved it.

Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 18/01/2022 06:45

Hurricane season versus monsoon season. I'd pick hurricane (Caribbean). It's not as luxurious as Indian ocean but generally it's better for teens and I find it has more of a buzz.

Please
or

AnSionnachGlic · 18/01/2022 19:35

Have been to Bali and Bancock in the past, and also the U.S several times but really like the idea of a relaxing, stress-free luxurious break! Have never done All Inclusive before, but considering it this time, as my 2 teenage boys have very large appetites and my dds ,( 20 and 21) have developed a fondness for cocktails, so figure food and drink would be v expensive!! We have had a very rough couple years, so we are all looking forward to lying on an exotic beach, cocktail in hand, with nothing to think about except where we'd like to eat! The reason I'd like a villa is because we all like to chill out in private with a book or to have a bit of space to spread out , together, rather than be in different hotel rooms. Obviously, we'd like some water sports and activities, but nothing too adventurous ( this time). I think we are leaning towards St Lucia or Barbados but don't want to make an expensive mistake! This also , will probably be the last time all 6 of us will be holidaying together as dds are in college.

OP posts:
Please
or

Needaholidayplease · 19/01/2022 19:48

Vietnam? We stayed at the six senses in na Trang, that was fabulous

Please
or

Needaholidayplease · 19/01/2022 19:49

Or if you're thinking Caribbean maybe spice island, Grenada. Nice beachfront rooms, and you could all be together

Please
or

cjpark · 19/01/2022 20:52

What about Aruba? In the Caribbean but far enough south to be hurricane free in the summer. Its also a Dutch Island so has a much more European feel than the other Caribbean islands and is perfectly safe to wander around unlike some parts of Jamaica or St Lucia.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 19/01/2022 23:30

We really like the BVIs. Ferries go between the islands. Fab beaches and snorkelling. Great shopping in Charlotte Amalie (USVI) and St John is a national park. If you stay on Virgin Gorda there are great villa rentals. Tortola too. Or see if any crewed boats are for hire. Usually out of Tortola. They take you to fantastic places and cook for you. Nothing better!

Please
or

Groovytiger · 20/01/2022 08:44

We went to The Maldives in the summer holidays with two teenagers and it was the best holiday we've ever had we've been to Antigua at the same time of the year when it was end of season and it rained throughout. We had wonderful weather in The Maldives and it didn't rain once for the two weeks we were there. We booked through Purely Maldives who were excellent and cheaper than other mainstream agents. We went to a place called Ayada which really was heaven on earth. We went for the Diamond Package so all was included and there was so much to do. The teens absolutely loved it as there was so much for them to do there. It ticked all the boxes and even more that we didn't know existed!!!

Please
or

Groovytiger · 20/01/2022 08:50

And we had a sea villa with its own pool on the sea, kitchen and even butler. Choice of four restaurants of which one was an outdoor teppanyaki grill where they did lobster and wavy beef. And the most incredible cocktails. All included in the package. And darts and snooker too!!!

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 20/01/2022 08:57

Yes, you can get showers that are intense in the Caribbean but they are never all day and every day. It can be humid in the summer though which is why sailing is great.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 20/01/2022 08:58

Although the Easter holidays is best for the Caribbean. Cheaper and just as good as the winter season.

Please
or

Doublechocolatetiffin · 20/01/2022 09:11

Maldives isn't great in July/August. Only 7 hours of daylight and high chance of rain. I'd pick the carribean instead. I've been to St Lucia twice and really enjoyed it, we're just doing the same as you and trying to decide whether to go again this summer. I've been in June a few times and the weather has been great, a short rain shower most days but usually 10 mins and it's done. I think hurricanes in July are rare. Sugar beach is a fabulous place, if you have the budget for it then do it. You will not regret it, the service was amazing and food was fantastic. We went pre children and I would love to go back there but its soooo expensive for 2 weeks in the holidays for 5 of us! I think I just got a 22k quote for bed and breakfast Shock

Please
or

Isonthecase · 20/01/2022 09:36

What's the budget? If big enough I'd wait for Christmas and go to the Galapagos, bloody expensive but absolutely mind blowing and you can do a bit of time in Quito or Costa rica on the side to extend it a bit. Otherwise you really need northern hemisphere for summer sun, maybe Greece or Italy? My other big holiday plan is an Antarctic expedition cruise but not exactly cocktails on the beach 😂

Please
or