Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

What holidays do you go on with only teen?

10 replies

OriginalM · 12/01/2022 19:37

Looking for inspiration for holidays in uk or anywhere really for family holiday with 15 year old teen with additional needs.
He doesn't want to bring a friend so ideally looking for somewhere that has lots of things to do and not too extreme/adventurous so I can do the things!
He doesn't like London it's too busy but we liked Liverpool.
Not done the Lake District as thinking all activities are spread out but could be wrong?
Any ideas?

OP posts:
Please
or

WellThatsATurnipForTheBooks · 12/01/2022 19:42

What about it being a camping trip?

Everything seems to take longer (so can pad out time) and can be a bit more of an adventure when camping.

If you camp near somewhere with lots to do, places to visit you can have day trips out. You could opt for somewhere coastal or inland.

What sort of things does your DS enjoy?

Please
or

OriginalM · 12/01/2022 19:50

Son likes all outdoor activities really, and gaming and theme parks but not when too busy! Camping is a great idea

OP posts:
Please
or

hopeishere · 16/01/2022 21:53

Cornwall? We took DS and he has a surfing lesson but there were full surf schools you could go to. Lots of other things to do as well.

Please
or

Funf · 17/01/2022 07:02

Liverpool is a great city loads to see and do in the city but also nearby as its a good base for seeing the Lakes and North Wales.
We find the lakes is often wet so we only go if the forecast is good, North Wales has different terrain so you can often pack up and drive for 30 mins to find sunshine.
Personally I would look at North Wales as it has lots on offer, if the weathers bad there are several traditional small cinemas.
Loads to see and do, the speed boat trip at the bottom of the page below is fantastic
www.donthibernate.co.uk/liverpool/
www.donthibernate.co.uk/route-1-llandudno-from-m62-m56/
www.donthibernate.co.uk/route-10-lad-dad-trip-to-mid-wales-and-internal-fire-museum/
In the Lakes
www.donthibernate.co.uk/route-9-the-lakes/

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 17/01/2022 18:13

Del Garda Village in Italy is close to Gardaland theme park. It’s not too big or crowded and has waterslides and activities

Please
or

MintJulia · 17/01/2022 18:33

I took my ds to a self catering cottage in mid Cornwall with direct car-free access onto the Camel trail. It meant we could cycle to the beach, to Wadebridge, Bodmin, Truro, to lots of cafes and restaurants.

DS likes bird watching and it gave us access to estuaries and loads of places to picnic.

We went to the Eden Project and some surfing beaches. Lots of cream teas and ice cream, cycled off afterwards. It was a good, active, stress-free week. It was rather dependent on the weather though. We were lucky.

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 18/01/2022 13:25

If you've got easy access to a ferry terminal or budget airline route then have a look at centre parcs in Europe - by the end of August their prices seem to plummet so I assume their schools have already gone back and it might be quieter.

Please
or

lljkk · 18/01/2022 13:31

If you think camping would work, what about a canal boat holiday? Whole other view on life, plus get to see how locks work (simple engineering technology).

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 19/01/2022 07:42

I wouldn’t do a canal boat holiday as a single adult, you’d be driving all the time and DS would always be doing the locks (some of which are hard and really need 2 people).

Please
or

lljkk · 19/01/2022 20:03

Canal people help each other, though, It's usual to see people help others at the locks.

Please
or