Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Chicago in February

5 replies

Namek · 11/01/2022 21:09

I am off to Chicago next month. I know it’ll be freezing but would like to know the must dos and if anyone has been in February - what did they do? Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 12/01/2022 13:53

There are some great museums in Chicago, all of which would be a treat in any month, particularly the Art Institute of Chicago, the Oriental Institute Museum and the Field Museum. There are some lovely parks in the centre of the city, there's Oak Park, a suburb which is full of buildings and the original home and office of architect Frank Lloyd Wright, there's the Robie House (handily next door to the Oriental Institute Museum), and then there are loads of great places to eat out and listen to live music. Chicago is one of my favourite US cities and it's got that Midwest friendliness about it. Wrap up warm and you'll have a great time.

Please
or

NotCure172 · 23/01/2022 11:39

Have you been yet Op? What did you think?

Please
or

ZZTopGuitarSolo · 25/01/2022 04:42

I have a child at college there so when we visit in winter we do...

Ice skating at the Maggie Daley Park Skating Ribbon followed by a trip to the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel - I just love the atmosphere there. They have a rooftop restaurant called Cindy's, and an amazing game room. Packed at the weekend so try to go in the week.
www.chicagoathletichotel.com

The stuff Zafferana said is all great, and we also liked the Shedd Aquarium.

You should do one tall building at least. I don't think it really matters which. One is in the Loop, another is up Michigan Ave.

You ought to go shopping up Michigan Ave too. Somewhere off it is Bloomingdale's Home + Furniture which is one of my favourite stores.

Pizza at Lou Malnati's - my favourite one is the one near Washington Square Park but they all serve the same food. That's a cool bit of Chicago to explore, up at the top of Michigan Ave.

I suggest the Architectural Boat Tour if it's not TOO cold. We've done it in late November and one of my kids survived despite forgetting her coat. Go with Wendella Boats. Wrap up warm. www.wendellaboats.com/Boat-Tours/chicagos-original-architecture-tour/.

We often go and see a college football or basketball game while we're there. This is basketball season, although I think football is more of a fun experience. DH is there in a couple of weeks and he's seeing Northwestern play basketball against someone while he's there.

Eat well there - the food is soooo good.

Explore some suburbs if you have time.

It's such a great city!

Please
or

MagpieWife · 25/01/2022 05:03

I live in Chicago! Not far from the Robie House and Oriental Institute actually. All zafferana's suggestions are good!

Will you have kids with you? Mine love the zoo, the Shedd aquarium, and the Museum of Science and Industry.

Whereabouts are you staying? Are you visiting friends?

Please
or

Namek · 25/01/2022 06:33

Thanks ladies! Nope, no kids! Just me and DH. We are staying at the Langham so The Loop. I have bought some thermals so I’m well prepared Grin.

OP posts:
Please
or