Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Driving in Italy (Low Emission Zones)

6 replies

Keladrythesaviour · 10/01/2022 18:12

Two questions really, probably for those of you who live in aitaly, or travel there regularly.
All being well (covid allowing) we will be driving through Italy in June. Part of our journey (lasting several weeks) will see us travel from Lake Como to Ancona.
My first question is:
According to ViaMichelin the recommended route includes entry into a low emission zone, but very helpfully doesn't tell me where. From what I can see the route skirts around several cities but doesn't go through any of them. Do any of the cities of Milan, Moderna, Bologna, Rimini have low emission zones that cover the surrounding ring roads
2nd question:
We will be driving a petrol hybrid, from what I can tell this should currently get us through most low emission zones, but do we need to pre-register anyway like you do for London Congestion charge? We wil have a sticker for France that gets us through but not sure in Italy? The website I'm looking at seems to suggest we don't need a sticker, but I know you have to register to go into ZTLs and I wondered if LEZs were the same.

Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

Rosa · 10/01/2022 18:19

Right now no , If there is smog then there are restrictions but in teh summer that is unlikely. If you head to the cities watch out for the ZTLs they sneak up on you when you lest expect them and then the fines arrive .... Also the signs are just like any other ones! We use WAZE locally simply as they say when the speed cameras are active and find them themost reliable. FYI The drive from Como to Ancona is pretty boring its all autostrada but there are some nice places to stop enroute ! Thsi is the equivalent of the AA overhere so it maybe of use !www.aci.it/laci/driving-in-italy/driving-in-italy-information-for-visiting-motorists.html

Please
or

Keladrythesaviour · 10/01/2022 18:34

@Rosa that's really helpful, thank you. We use Waze in the UK so good to know it's useful abroad to (though we will have to sort out data now we are post Brexit). We are expecting a lot of autostrada - we are driving down to Puglia and back with several stops along the way across the three weeks, but have done lots of long boring drives before. Hopefully the stops will be worth it. Is there anywhere you can recommend on that stretch that doesn't involve entering a big city? I had hoped to pop to San Marino but it's about an hour/90minute diversion on a long day so not sure it will be worth it.

OP posts:
Please
or

Rosa · 10/01/2022 19:30

@Keladrythesaviour On the stretch down you have Imola ( home of Ferrari !) Or my favourute is in the hills near Modena . Something a bit different Balsamic vinegar tasting and maybe lunch at an agriturismo . One I like is the Acetai Sereni but ther a are good few in the area ..Or of course around Parma you have proscuitto tasting places !!! I wouldn't go off track to San Marino to be honest unless as that is a full day . Something similar not too far off track is San Leo or maybe stopp for a fish lunch along the Adriatic - Mind you if you are heading to Puglia you will probably get your fill down there !! My worry if you are driving would be leaving the car with luggage in it especially in busy areas .

Please
or

Keladrythesaviour · 10/01/2022 19:49

Oh brilliant, some great things to look up - thank you so much. I think, sadly, you are right about San Marino.
Yes it is a concern to us, we try to pack light and always with a boot cover etc and nothing on display and so far in previous trips (to Spain etc) have managed okay, but it is always on our minds. We have been warned in Puglia in particular, but will have our main accomodation there so shouldn't carry too much in the car.
The holiday had been cancelled three times already so split between getting plans sorted and not getting my hopes up...

OP posts:
Please
or

Keladrythesaviour · 11/01/2022 16:21

@Rosa - just to say thanks again. Car nut DH is very happy to fit in a trip to Ferrari museo in Modena, and lunch in the outskirts (avoiding the ZTL!). I thought our visit to the car museum in Turin on our way back would be our only one, but no such luck GrinWink. I really appreciate the advice.

OP posts:
Please
or

Rosa · 11/01/2022 18:28

@Keladrythesaviour Opps Sorry Smile I think you have to book your slot or entrance in advance - well that must mean a bag / shoes/ extra prosecco or something for you then !!! HAve a great time and if you divert past Venice then let me know !!!

Please
or