Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

What do I need to cross into the USA from Canada?

8 replies

ThankGoodnessForTea · 26/12/2021 16:44

Hello,

We are going to Vancouver next July and are planning on driving into the USA and staying in Seattle one night (2.5 hours away) and then going on to Mount Rainer National Park. We are hiring a car in Canada so I'll have to check with the car hire place about crossing the border but what do I need in terms of documentation apart from a passport? It's years since I last went to the USA.

TIA Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

MissConductUS · 26/12/2021 16:47

See here on the visa waiver program and ETSA:

uk.usembassy.gov/visiting-united-states/

Please
or

BackToWhereItAllBegan · 26/12/2021 17:16

Right now you'd also need proof of vaccinations and a negative test taken within the last 24 hours to enter the US but obviously those regulations could change several times between now and July!

Please
or

BritWifeInUSA · 26/12/2021 18:23

You don’t need an RSYA yo cross by land - they are for land and sea crossings only. You need to complete an I-94W and pay around $6.

The rental car will be allowed across the border - no issue with that. If you are returning the car to SeaTac they have a separate area for cars that were picked up in Canada and are being returned to Canada.

I live in Washington state. Used to live in Seattle for several years but we’ve now moved to a much nicer part of the state. Seattle is OK. Nothing to get excited about.

Please
or

BritWifeInUSA · 26/12/2021 18:23

you don’t need an ESTA that should be

Please
or

BritWifeInUSA · 26/12/2021 18:26

[quote MissConductUS]See here on the visa waiver program and ETSA:

[[https://uk.usembassy.gov/visiting-united-states/XV1bL3F1b3Rl]
ESTA is only for land and cruise arrivals. Land arrivals don’t need it. The VWP still applies so she can enter without a visa (assuming she meets the requirements of the VWP), but she’ll need to do the paper I-94W and pay the paper processing fee (which was $6, according to the signage last time I crossed).

Please
or

BritWifeInUSA · 26/12/2021 18:27

Only for air and cruise…aargh…need more chocolate

Please
or

MissConductUS · 26/12/2021 18:44

Britwife, chocolate and a strong coffee I think. Xmas Grin

Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 27/12/2021 12:49

If you are flying into Canada from the UK and are a UK citizen you will need a Canadian eta (electronic travel authorisation).

Please
or