Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Holiday to spain. What's needed

13 replies

bellalou1234 · 09/12/2021 09:40

My dm and her friend are planning a trip to Spain over Christmas. Both in their 70s and not good with technology. I'm lost with what she needs to do prior to going whilst there and on return. Can anyone tell me in easy terms what's needed?

OP posts:
Please
or

MuthaHubbard · 09/12/2021 09:44

Complete a Spanish heath form - this can only be submitted 48 hrs before flight out.
Order a Lft/PCR to be done 48 hrs before flight back which gives them a 'fit to fly' note
Complete UK passenger locator form which can only be submitted 48 hrs before flight
Order day two Pcr test to do when home. The code from this test needs to be input on the UK passenger locator form

Please
or

EileenGC · 09/12/2021 09:53

All of the above is correct. Keep in mind both the Spanish and the UK forms will issue a QR code that needs to be shown at the airports if/when they ask for them. So make sure they’re either carrying a paper copy on the way out, and a hotel or copy place in Spain can print the ones to come back… or that they know how to save them and show them on their phones.

You could complete all the forms for them, and book the tests etc… but they need to be able to show these forms themselves.

Please
or

MuthaHubbard · 09/12/2021 10:04

Oh and download/copy of covid passport. We printed that and the Spanish qr so we had less things to scroll through on phone and covid passport print can be used on way back also

Please
or

bellalou1234 · 10/12/2021 09:54

Thank you everyone

OP posts:
Please
or

EmpressCixi · 10/12/2021 09:58

If they are driving a rental car, they will need to go to Post Office and get international driving license since U.K. licenses are no longer EU. They will also need a credit card to pay damage deposit as debit cards not accepted.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 10/12/2021 09:58

@EmpressCixi

If they are driving a rental car, they will need to go to Post Office and get international driving license since U.K. licenses are no longer EU. They will also need a credit card to pay damage deposit as debit cards not accepted.

You can still drive in Spain with your UK licence
Please
or

EmpressCixi · 10/12/2021 10:01

@Hoppinggreen
When I went in October I had to have international license from post office and credit card. Maybe some places are lax and others enforce it more. We rented our car through Avis.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 10/12/2021 10:12

I have hired cars 3 times in Spain and Portugal this year and have only ever showed my UK licence. I do agree about the credit card though
However, everyone should do their own research and not just take the word of a stranger on the internet

www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu

Please
or

EmpressCixi · 10/12/2021 10:35

Well, all I can say is I had to produce one. Apparently, my experience was not unique:

“UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has stated that British drivers will not need to possess an IDP to drive in Spain and France, but there are reports that hire car companies are refusing to rent vehicles to UK citizens without an IDP. Checking with your hire car firm before travelling, or simply playing it safe by purchasing an IDP, might be sensible Brits who are planning to hire a vehicle in France, Spain and other EU countries.“- 3 December 2021 update.
www.petebarden.co.uk/news/articles/international-driving-permit-guide.html

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 10/12/2021 11:07

As I said, it’s sensible to check as each company might have their own policies but it is NOT yet a legal requirement

Please
or

EmpressCixi · 10/12/2021 13:38

@Hoppinggreen

Oh is that what you meant when you said “don’t trust a stranger on the internet”? Sorry did not quite understand that to actually mean “sensible to check as each company might have own policies”
Confused

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 10/12/2021 14:13

Don’t be a Dick
We are all just trying to provide advice, it’s not a competition.
I was referring to myself as a Stranger on the internet as well, not just you.

Please
or

1910username · 13/12/2021 22:16

One thing, I can’t remember returning to England, but when going to Spain, you have to enter the seat number on the passenger locator form, so you should do it after having checked in (which many companies only allow to do it free 24 hours from the flight time).

Please
or