Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Connecting Flight Advice

13 replies

Brycare · 24/11/2021 20:42

Hi guys.
I am looking into flying between Lisbon and Palma next summer.
Based on current plans, on the day we would be doing that route there is no direct flight between the two cities.
We would have to take a connection through Madrid, Barcelona etc.
The shortest route is with Iberia and involves a 45 minute connection in Madrid airport (booked on the one ticket directly with Iberia).
The 2nd flight departs from the same terminal as the first one.
Am I correct in thinking that we don’t need to go back through security etc for the second flight?
45 mins seems very tight to me.
Anyone done a similar connection with Iberia before?

OP posts:
Please
or

chipsandpeas · 24/11/2021 20:55

usualy if the airline offers that connection buying direct they will make sure you get it or book you onto the next flight
never been in madrid airport so cant say whether or not it really is doable but agree it is tight
check the madrid airport sometimes they have a section where it tells you minimum connection times

Please
or

inflatableseahorses · 24/11/2021 22:12

Having spent 5hrs in Madrid airport a couple of years ago when our 45 minute connection turned out to be insufficient, I'd be wary.
Both flights were with Iberia. Flight from Heathrow to Madrid was delayed, they gathered information about who was on a connecting flight but then did nothing about it - didn't get us off the plane first, didn't prioritise us at passport control etc. It was so frustrating as we got to the gate for the next flight and the plane was still there and attached.
We all ended up at the Iberia desk which was in chaos even though they'd had a few hours notice of this issue. Several people had missed an onward flight to South America and one family were going to miss a wedding as a result and another their cruise departure. We were lucky as we got a flight that evening but there weren't enough seats for all of those who'd missed the same flight as us so they had to wait until the next day.
I'm sure 99% of times it is fine and we were just unlucky.

Please
or

Clymene · 24/11/2021 22:15

I have twice had connecting flights with Iberia. I wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole. They screwed up one so badly I missed a whole week of a holiday. Absolutely hopeless.

45 minutes is not long enough.

If I were you, I'd spend an overnight in Madrid/Barca and then go to Palma the following day

Please
or

Brycare · 24/11/2021 22:23

Interesting thoughts. Iberia have 2 more flights later in the day also going to Palma, so maybe they would put us on one of those instead if the first flight was delayed.
Obviously that would depend on those flights not being fully booked.
It is risky for sure.

OP posts:
Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 25/11/2021 10:32

Like a PP says, airlines that offer this sort of arrangement will have a minimum connection time but it will be ambitious.

They've probably set it based on it working most of the time, and they will put it right when it doesn't. I'm not sure I understand how badly they would need to screw up for you to miss a whole week of a holiday though. Most of the time they would put you on the next flight, which through a major hub should be a few hours later, or early the next morning.

But if your first flight is delayed, or you aren't able to frogmarch from one end of a large airport to the other, you might struggle. I've crossed several large airports on short connections and it's not fun, especially the time I had to get on a bus at CDG and it seemed to be going here there and everywhere and getting nowhere near my terminal. I did make the flight in the end though.

Please
or

TheCanyon · 25/11/2021 10:44

What about vueling via barcelona?

Please
or

Brycare · 25/11/2021 11:05

Yeah there are a good few other flights with longer connection times in fairness. Quite a few flights from both Barcelona and Madrid to Palma thankfully.
There is another Iberia flight with a 3.5 hour connection time and also Air Europa with a 3.5 hour connection time.
The longer connection wouldn't bother me at all, it's just we will have 2 young kids with us so was wondering if I should take the chance on the shorter connection time.

OP posts:
Please
or

Brycare · 25/11/2021 11:06

Also, Vueling seem to be quite a bit more expensive especially when paying for 4 flights.

OP posts:
Please
or

Clymene · 25/11/2021 11:09

@BarbaraofSeville

Like a PP says, airlines that offer this sort of arrangement will have a minimum connection time but it will be ambitious.

They've probably set it based on it working most of the time, and they will put it right when it doesn't. I'm not sure I understand how badly they would need to screw up for you to miss a whole week of a holiday though. Most of the time they would put you on the next flight, which through a major hub should be a few hours later, or early the next morning.

But if your first flight is delayed, or you aren't able to frogmarch from one end of a large airport to the other, you might struggle. I've crossed several large airports on short connections and it's not fun, especially the time I had to get on a bus at CDG and it seemed to be going here there and everywhere and getting nowhere near my terminal. I did make the flight in the end though.

Because I was flying to south America and there aren't many flights to the Amazon jungle
Please
or

notimagain · 25/11/2021 12:42

Having spent 5hrs in Madrid airport a couple of years ago when our 45 minute connection turned out to be insufficient, I'd be wary.

Seconded..for us both sectors with Iberia, so same supposedly terminal but….the inbound arrived on T4 main about 10 min late..the onwards sector was off the T4 satellite …….we didn’t make it…

Please
or

Wilma55 · 25/11/2021 12:47

We had to spend a night in Madrid when our flight from Heathrow was delayed. Missed connection to Santiago. We had 4 hours but it was jot enough. We found Madtid Airport huge and on the following day we're running about like headless chickens looking for our gate number. We were with Iberia and they did put us up in hotel overnight

Please
or

InTheLabyrinth · 25/11/2021 12:57

Madrid is a big airport. Never been to Barcelona.
45 mins is a tight connection in any airport. Even if you make it, the chances are your bags might not.
Pegging it across an airport with 2 small children isnt a great idea either. I'd choose a longer connection (I've crossed Schipol airport in 10 mins, it's not something I'd like to repeat!)

You say there are no direct flights that day. Would you consider shifting your travel day to get a direct flight?

Please
or

Brycare · 25/11/2021 15:12

@InTheLabyrinth

Madrid is a big airport. Never been to Barcelona.
45 mins is a tight connection in any airport. Even if you make it, the chances are your bags might not.
Pegging it across an airport with 2 small children isnt a great idea either. I'd choose a longer connection (I've crossed Schipol airport in 10 mins, it's not something I'd like to repeat!)

You say there are no direct flights that day. Would you consider shifting your travel day to get a direct flight?

We could do that alright. Only issue with this is the direct flight gets into Palma close to midnight. Not sure that's a good idea with a just turned 3 year old (knowing what she is like now) :-)
OP posts:
Please
or