Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Texas USA road trip

11 replies

Nevercan · 19/11/2021 13:50

We are thinking about a road trip around Texas , USA in april for 2 weeks - 2 adults and DD1 10 and DD2 12. Does anyone has any must see or do's whilst we are there? Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

KatherineofGaunt · 19/11/2021 13:50

Cadillac Ranch!

Please
or

Nevercan · 19/11/2021 14:25

That looks good thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

PleaseSendNoodles · 19/11/2021 14:36

The River Walk and Alamo in San Antonio. NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston. It’s worth seeing the Stock Show (basically a real cowboy/horse parade) in Downtown Fort Worth which is near Dallas. Speaking of Dallas, go and see the museum at the School Book Repository which is where John F. Kennedy was shot from. It’s fascinating to learn about what happened. Check out Austin for its hip bar and restaurant culture (it’s the least conservative of the Texan cities). Make sure you get some authentic tex-mex food and try on (and maybe buy) some proper western (cowboy) boots! I live in the states if you want any more ideas. Have fun!

Please
or

PleaseSendNoodles · 19/11/2021 14:38

Oh I’d also highly recommend an app called RoadTrippers which helps you plot the best route and highlights cool things to see along the way.

Please
or

DulciUke · 19/11/2021 14:47

It's a bit out of the way, but Big Bend National Park is really nice. Ft. Davis isn't too far north from there and is in another scenic area.

Please
or

DulciUke · 19/11/2021 14:48

Oh, and in addition to Tex-Mex, make sure that you have some Texas barbecue while you're there.

Please
or

Nevercan · 19/11/2021 14:50

@PleaseSendNoodles thank you for the suggestions and the app sounds very useful

@KatherineofGaunt thanks I will look it up

OP posts:
Please
or

BloodyAlarms · 19/11/2021 14:54

So see the bats in Austin.

Please
or

APerfectSky · 19/11/2021 14:54

We stayed on a Racnh (Dixie dude ranch I think it was called, but there are quite a few around that area) where we did riding twice a day and the kids just hung out and made friend with the other kids. Also had a pool.

Space center in Houston was so good, but I wasn't fussed for the rest of Houston really, it's huge!

Galveston was nice, some fairground rides and pretty area.

Loved San Antonio, saw the Alamo, did a boat trip down the river, really pretty town.

Please
or

zafferana · 27/11/2021 10:28

I haven't been to Texas for years, but it's a surprisingly fun state. I liked Austin a lot - very laid back vibe, much more Liberal feel to the city than many other places in Texas (which can be very red state IYKWIM!). San Antonio is also nice and The Alamo is a must see from an American history POV. I haven't been to the Johnson Space Center, but we loved the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, so I'm sure you'd find the one in Texas interesting. There's a good art museum in Dallas/Fort Worth, if that's your bag. Otherwise, Gulf beaches are lovely - huge and sandy.

Please
or

MisterT373 · 07/12/2021 11:19

I've been travelling to Texas for 30 years and the last 10 spent a lot of time around San Antonio. Texas is so big you have to be careful not to spent too much time driving and not visiting places.

Please
or