Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Toronto budget

15 replies

Drumshambo · 17/11/2021 10:09

Hoping to go to Toronto next autumn. Haven't been to Canada before. Looking for some guidance on budget. Basing it loosely on our trip to new York a couple of years ago.
Thinking return flights around £400 each. Accommodation wise, we would like to stay in an apartment rather than a hotel. For 7 nights, and two nights in a hotel in niagra. Was thinking about £2,000. Spends for 9-10 days around £3,000., So around £6000 for the whole trip.
Is this a realistic budget of do we need to up it.
Thanks for any advice. It would be two adults.

OP posts:
Please
or

Londonnight · 17/11/2021 10:18

That seems a huge amount for 10 days! Look at air bnbs in Toronto, look at Liberty Village to stay. It's an easy walk to the lake from the too.

You won't need a car as public transport is great to get around the city.

Niagara is okay, you can do the boat trip, can't remember the name of the company now, used to Maid of the Mist, but I know it changed hands. But think of a mini Blackpool, that is what most of Niagara is like. Depends what you want to do. You can get the train from Toronto and back in a day. It's around 2 1/2 hours each way. You have to get a bus for the last bit.

My son lives in Toronto so have been many times. it is a really great country.

Please
or

Drumshambo · 17/11/2021 10:45

@Londonnight Thanks for the tips. Yeah Niagara is one of those places that seems tacky. - but when in Rome and all that.. Just had a look at airbnb, and am pleasantly surprised. Great to hear about public transport being good.

OP posts:
Please
or

Kitkat151 · 17/11/2021 10:47

Niagra is what it is...but yes you’ve got to do it....but why not spend some of your time over that way ...Niagra on the lake is lovely and there’s lovely vineyards etc....plenty of time to do Toronto in say 4 or 5 days

Please
or

Drumshambo · 17/11/2021 12:29

@Kitkat151 Thank you. Never thought of that! So I could have a two centre holiday over the 10 days. What about my budget, about right. too much, too little?

OP posts:
Please
or

Kitkat151 · 17/11/2021 12:44

We didn’t find Toronto massively expensive to eat out....or sightseeing...shop around for your accommodation...we stayed in an apartment in Toronto...but they did vary a lot in price when looking.

Please
or

Neurodiversitydoctor · 17/11/2021 12:51

We have been twice (DH is Canadian) food is more expensive but not horrifically so. Don't drink the wine, it's filthy the beer is amazing, to visit some tap rooms. If going in the Autum it will be colder than you anticipate....you will need gloves and hats after September, I quite liked Niagra we got a room with a falls view well worth it IMO. Things we have really enjoyed are a Blue Jays game (ice hockey in the winter) and the boat to? Cental island.

Please
or

Neurodiversitydoctor · 17/11/2021 13:02

My favourite place in Torronto
www.harbourfrontcentre.com/

Please
or

Drumshambo · 18/11/2021 12:23

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

OP posts:
Please
or

TizerorFizz · 18/11/2021 17:22

I would f did to Toronto for 10 days. I would do Vancouver and Vancouver Island. We have just booked air tickets to Vancouver for next June snd they were expensive! £400 return sounds way too cheap! Unless you do some bizarre route with stops. I’d also look at East Coast Canada. Or Boston USA and drive North up the coast. I would find Toronto too limiting for 10 days.

Please
or

Katkincake · 19/11/2021 23:02

Went to Toronto for work a few years back. Nice city, but agree with Tizer, it does not need a 10 visit. Next time I’m lucky enough to return to Canada I’m visiting the west coast.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 19/11/2021 23:30

@Katkincake
If you like an amazing wildlife experience, I highly recommend The Great Bear Rainforest. Not a cheap destination but it’s magical!

Please
or

Wetellyourstory · 19/11/2021 23:54

You could consider adding a trip up to Alconquin for a few days. You’d need to hire a car but it’s the most amazing area to visit. Plenty of B&B’s in the area. We did Toronto, Alconquin and Niagra (include a trip down to the rapids) in a 14 day holiday.

Please
or

Hairbrush123 · 20/11/2021 09:39

I went to Toronto last month and thoroughly enjoyed it! We stayed in St Regis and found the location of that excellent. We spent about about £70 a day dining out but ate lunch cheaply (we went to 7-11 to use their hot food counter)!

If you love Thai food, I would recommend PAI. Really lovely restaurant! Don’t forget to save your NHS covid proof of vaccination (assuming it’s still required) as a pdf as it’s required if you’re dining indoors and to bring your driving licence as proof.

Enjoy Toronto! Definitely one of my favourite North American cities.

Please
or

thing47 · 21/11/2021 17:01

Algonquin is an excellent shout. It's about a 3 hour drive from memory, but we spent a magical long weekend there on one of our trips to Toronto.

As PP have said you don't have to actually stay in Niagara, it's an easy day trip from Toronto – either by a coach tour or drive yourself. We have done both but prefer to have own transport so not tied to others' timings. Don't forget to go behind the falls!

Totally agree with London, you don't need a car otherwise.

Please
or

Drumshambo · 21/11/2021 20:53

We won't be hiring a car. We'll use trains/buses. Going to to stick with Toronto mainly and spend a couple of days elswhere. Confident our budget will be plenty for what we want to do and see,- having read around it, looked at TripAdvisor etc. Maybe look at booking flights in the spring.

OP posts:
Please
or