Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Dream holiday for 1 week in Jan/ Feb

13 replies

PissyMum · 16/11/2021 21:23

I am incredibly lucky in that within the next few weeks (hopefully!) I’ll be inheriting some money from a beloved family member who died recently. I had no idea I would be included in her will, no idea she had this kind of money at all actually but she did. She had included a lovely letter in her will that said obviously she couldn’t tell me what to spend my money on but she really wanted me to do something just for me with at least half the money.

She was always asking me to go on holiday with her but as I couldn’t afford to and I felt guilty about her paying I always declined. So, when I found out that she’d left me some money I decided I’d spend half of it on a massive splash out holiday for myself and my partner. Except I’ve just found out that rather than the couple of thousand I was expecting that it’s actually £40,000 that she’s left me 😱. Obviously I’m not going to spend £20k on a holiday but I would like to really push the boat out.

I’d ideally like to go away in Jan/ Feb. Somewhere hot would be nice or if not hot then lots of culture. Definitely somewhere that it was safe to walk around outside the hotel/ resort, don’t really fancy going somewhere where we’d be hassled to buy stuff all the time. I went to Tobago for my honeymoon many years ago and loved it there but would feel odd going back with new partner. Somewhere like that would be lovely if anyone knows anywhere?

Any recommendations at all? I don’t think I could do the Middle East as the whole built on slavery and women’s rights issues would bother me too much. Not sure I fancy Indian Ocean as I’d like something to do other than just floating about in the sea/ on the beach. Zanzibar looks nice but possibly a bit dangerous to wander about.

Please help!

OP posts:
Please
or

SweetBabyCheeses99 · 16/11/2021 21:41

Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico…that’s about all that’s left if you don’t want to spend more time worrying about testing, forms, jabs, quarantine, masks etc. Not my idea of a holiday otherwise!
Mexico would be lush, good mix of beaches and culture.

Please
or

orangechairs · 16/11/2021 22:08

A 2 week Caribbean cruise, with a balcony cabin.
Look at P&O (very British). Approx £3k per person.
Royal Caribbean (very American). Approx £4K per person.

Those prices include food and flights.

Or just a normal holiday in the Caribbean. Barbados has lots to do and beautiful beaches.

Or Mexico.

Please
or

Aposterhasnoname · 16/11/2021 22:14

Mexico would probably be perfect, but why just a week? It’s a long way to go for seven days.

Please
or

CasparsWineBar · 16/11/2021 22:22

I'd definitely go for more than a week - if you're going long haul you'll need at least 2 weeks!

Please
or

CasparsWineBar · 16/11/2021 22:24

How about the far east?

Thailand
Vietnam
Japan
Malaysia

All the above are safe and interesting!

Please
or

Seaweedhair · 16/11/2021 22:29

Chile. With your budget I'd be staying at the Explora Torres del Paine

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 16/11/2021 22:34

@CasparsWineBar

How about the far east?

Thailand
Vietnam
Japan
Malaysia

All the above are safe and interesting!

Vietnam is currently closed to most tourists and Thailand is only just opening up and possibly not to Brits yet.

OP we loved Zanzibar. But it might be tricky to get to atm. We flew via Kenya.
Please
or

PissyMum · 16/11/2021 22:35

I can’t go for more than a week as I’d be leaving dc with exh. I’m going to take them away for a nice holiday over summer but I want to do an adult only thing for the first time in over a decade. I don’t mind doing long haul for just a week, I used to do it a lot when exh worked in the states. I was in my 20’s and pre kids then though so I’ll probably feel it a bit more now! Not fussed about vaccines forms and masks etc. either.

I hadn’t even considered a cruise! That could definitely work. Also when you’re at sea I wouldn’t feel guilty about not doing enough all the time as I wouldn’t be able to go anywhere! Mexico sounds good too, is there anywhere in particular you know @Aposterhasnoname?

@CasparsWineBar I had considered the Far East. I’m not sure if o could cope with the culture shock of Japan but Thailand, Vietnam or Malaysia would be lovely, flights don’t look too bad either as it looks around 12 hours overnight each way so you don’t lose too much time. I think the reason I didn’t look into it originally was because Jan/Feb are the cooler months there. It’s certainly not cold though and looks like beach would still be very much doable.

OP posts:
Please
or

CasparsWineBar · 17/11/2021 08:16

If you're going for only a week then maybe look for somewhere where there's not too much of a time change then so you're not jet lagged. However as pp pointed out I think some of the places you might consider would have travel or COVID restrictions - I think all these are 3 hours or less time change

South Africa- I loved Cape Town!
Rio
Zanzibar
Cape Verde
Argentina
Tenerife
Morocco

Please
or

PissyMum · 17/11/2021 11:28

@CasparsWineBar I hadn’t considered South Africa. Is Cape Town safe to wander around? I’ve read so many horror stories but obviously millions of people live there so it can’t be that terrible. It does look absolutely beautiful but I don’t know how safe I’d feel in the sea with great white sharks 😱

I’d ideally like somewhere a bit warmer than Tenerife or Morocco in January but if inheritance takes longer to come through than hoped it could work. Is there much to do in Cabo Verde? I don’t think I’d feel like I’d had a proper “dream” holiday if I’d just sat by the pool all week.

OP posts:
Please
or

Mirrorxx · 17/11/2021 11:46

The best holiday ive been on in January was to South Africa. It is their wet season but it’s mostly just very hot, which I like. Plus it’s easy for a week as no jet lag. I think we easily spent 12-15k but that was business class flights

I would also recommend Tanzania as it’s the time all the baby animals are born.

Please
or

Mindgone · 18/11/2021 00:25

Barbados would be lovely then. Business class flights and only one flight needed, hire a car to explore. We felt very safe there. How lovely 😊

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 18/11/2021 17:17

It won’t be very wet in Cape Town in Jan/Feb. You might get thunder stunts though. In South Africa you always stick to the safe “tourist” “white” areas. The best places to stay are guest houses and they will tell you where to go and where not to go. You can rent a car and drive around the Cape and then go to the Winelands. It’s around 90 mins easy driving. With longer you could drive the garden route.

Another idea is a safari. Fly to Nairobi and then go to the Mara and other reserves. You can also do a circuit of some great parks in Tanzania for a week. It’s also possible to do a safari in and out of Joburg for a week. We find them unforgettable!!

There’s also India. Delhi, Agra and Jaipur would be very possible. I wouldn’t do a cruise but you could look at any great hotel in the Caribbean. A great treat is the BVIs or the Grenadines. Think a bit more luxurious and you will remember it!! The beaches and swimming are amazing!

I’m assuming you have the money now and any IHT is paid!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?