Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Hotels in spain which are 'autism friendly'?

17 replies

Newrunner29 · 27/10/2021 08:54

I am looking at maybe booking our first family holiday abroad next year. I will have a 3 and half year old and a 5 and half year old who has asd , non verbal and significant learning disability, i was wondering if there was any hotels which had swimming pool that were autism friendly mainly just understanding of autism , having sensory room would be amazing but im doubtful that will happen. Just want somewhere that be understanding if she was to have meltdown also when stimming, she can be very vocal making sounds and needing to run
I desperately want to holiday abroad but worried we wont find anywhere.

OP posts:
Please
or

HalfShrunkMoreToGo · 27/10/2021 09:36

Sorry I have no idea on hotels but would a villa with pool be a possibility? That way you would have more control of the environment, food etc.

Please
or

Newrunner29 · 27/10/2021 09:51

Thank u good idea , i was thinking package holiday as get transfers included and may have more of water park and not just swimming pool, also activities for younger daughter . Its difficult to decide which would be better

OP posts:
Please
or

clockover · 27/10/2021 10:02

I desperately want to holiday abroad

In the nicest possible way, I think you have to consider this might not be possible. Your child must come before your want, and I do mean that kindly. You also know this as you are looking for somewhere to accommodate her needs, but even with a sensory room etc a holiday abroad is hugely stressful and you might find a UK break to be much more enjoyable for all.

Please
or

PersephoneJames · 27/10/2021 10:31

htsi.iqs.edu/htsi-colabora-sector-hotelero-fomentar-la-accesibilidad-ninos-autismo/ Have a read of this link. They’ve collaborated with the Marriott in Barcelona and an autism charity to make an ideal autism friendly hotel.

Please
or

Newrunner29 · 27/10/2021 11:20

@PersephoneJames

htsi.iqs.edu/htsi-colabora-sector-hotelero-fomentar-la-accesibilidad-ninos-autismo/ Have a read of this link. They’ve collaborated with the Marriott in Barcelona and an autism charity to make an ideal autism friendly hotel.

Thank u thats great
OP posts:
Please
or

Newrunner29 · 27/10/2021 11:27

@clockover

I desperately want to holiday abroad

In the nicest possible way, I think you have to consider this might not be possible. Your child must come before your want, and I do mean that kindly. You also know this as you are looking for somewhere to accommodate her needs, but even with a sensory room etc a holiday abroad is hugely stressful and you might find a UK break to be much more enjoyable for all.

I know u said u meant it kindly and maybe this is the case for u, but If i thought she wouldnt cope or not want to go abroad on holiday, i wouldnt have asked for advice on mm in first place. She copes well in new environments and as long as we are in swimming daily i know she would love it.
Asking about senosry room is mainly because then i know they would obviously have understanding, and she also likes being in there and doesnt nessassry need one.
OP posts:
Please
or

Sprogonthetyne · 27/10/2021 11:36

If finance's allow, I would book a villa and a hire car. Takes out the stress of transfers and also means you can drive to supermarket and buy close to your normal food to cook. I know it makes it less relaxing for you to have to cook, but the more you keep familiar, the easier it will be. You can also replicate normal bed time and elements of your routine.

Please
or

hilbil21 · 27/10/2021 11:39

Our 6 year old is autistic and in 2019 we went to Hilton Dalaman in Turkey. I had read reviews before booking and they mentioned the kids club was very good with children with additional needs. It was! They also had a number of different pools. I would definitely go back.

Please
or

Silkieschickens · 27/10/2021 11:45

I have a DS with autism and when he was around that age we used to go to the First Choice Holiday Villages which are all inclusive and all have swimming pools. Once both were 5 we went to Splashworld range which are waterparks and all inclusive. He loved them, loved that you could get plain food, eat in the same place and same time every day, loved the unlimited ice cream and the routine of it, he loved the bingo and the repeated childrens songs each night. Not geared to autism but lots of louder children running around there so never had to worry about behaviour. They are a bit noisy so would not suit all with autism.

Hope you can find somewhere, its a bit trial and error but my DS loves his holidays abroad and always asks for all inclusive as he loves routine, plain food for him as an option and hotels are similar. Very easy as a parent as everything is done for you, transfer, food, washing up, entertainment, cleaning so you get a break.

Please
or

Newrunner29 · 27/10/2021 12:03

@Silkieschickens

I have a DS with autism and when he was around that age we used to go to the First Choice Holiday Villages which are all inclusive and all have swimming pools. Once both were 5 we went to Splashworld range which are waterparks and all inclusive. He loved them, loved that you could get plain food, eat in the same place and same time every day, loved the unlimited ice cream and the routine of it, he loved the bingo and the repeated childrens songs each night. Not geared to autism but lots of louder children running around there so never had to worry about behaviour. They are a bit noisy so would not suit all with autism.

Hope you can find somewhere, its a bit trial and error but my DS loves his holidays abroad and always asks for all inclusive as he loves routine, plain food for him as an option and hotels are similar. Very easy as a parent as everything is done for you, transfer, food, washing up, entertainment, cleaning so you get a break.

Thank u thats exactly what im looking for , she loves waterparks so staying on a waterpark resort would be ideal , we go center parcs which she loves , ill have look thank you
OP posts:
Please
or

Silkieschickens · 27/10/2021 12:15

We stayed at Magic Natura, that has a waterpark on site and a zoo, that one was very good. Also the Splashworld in Menorca with First Choice but was 10 years or so now, that was fine. Then Estival Park, this was more for teenage kids and more of a walk away.

Please
or
Please
or

gogohm · 27/10/2021 12:41

I would consider French holiday parks initially to see how it works out. It's where we went when they were young - west coast in the Vendee is a good option as the drive isn't as long. We stayed at places with 2-3 pools, cafes, next to beach but crucially had self catering in case she had a major issue, going out in the evening we found was challenging sometimes so plan b was bbq.

My dd is autistic and once she was older we basically avoided places with lots of kids because she couldn't deal with the noise, inland Spain for instance worked out brilliantly, only kids at the hotel

Please
or

Lovesicecreams · 07/11/2021 20:06

Wow op I have kids with sn too - thanks for this amazing thread

Please
or

OrangeSamphire · 07/11/2021 20:11

Hi OP, I’m autistic and so is my daughter. I also have a son who has learning disabilities and is a wheelchair user.

We have travelled three times to Lopesan Baobab resort in Gran Canaria. It’s a sensory paradise in a very nature-led way and has five wonderful pools. Staff are lovely. It’s a short journey from the airport. Lovely little walk along to the waterfront and boulevard / shops. All very manageable.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday wherever you choose. Don’t ever let anyone say you can’t or shouldn’t do these things. You know your family and you and your children can do this.

Please
or

Newrunner29 · 07/11/2021 20:15

@OrangeSamphire

Hi OP, I’m autistic and so is my daughter. I also have a son who has learning disabilities and is a wheelchair user.

We have travelled three times to Lopesan Baobab resort in Gran Canaria. It’s a sensory paradise in a very nature-led way and has five wonderful pools. Staff are lovely. It’s a short journey from the airport. Lovely little walk along to the waterfront and boulevard / shops. All very manageable.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday wherever you choose. Don’t ever let anyone say you can’t or shouldn’t do these things. You know your family and you and your children can do this.

Thank u this sounds amazing and perfect 🥰
OP posts:
Please
or

Icannever · 09/11/2021 07:19

I second the idea of french holiday parks especially if you could go out of the main busy season.
Have a look at eurocamp or Thomson al fresco. I think they are best of both worlds as you get you own caravan/lodge so you have self catering facilities and seperate bedrooms plus your own outdoor space/decking. But you have the facilities of a great hotel too, pools and slides and play areas. We stayed at a Yelloh! One right on the beach called la Serignan Plage. It’s has amazing pools, and quiet indoor play areas, a spa, direct beach access, kids clubs, little parks, loads and loads of space. It also just has a lovely calm atmosphere (at least it did when we went in June)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?