Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Advice on holidays in Europe next summer with 16 and 13 year old

4 replies

Meow13 · 26/10/2021 20:22

Hi we normally holiday in Cornwall but next year would like some guaranteed sun. We have never holidayed in Europe and usually do self-catering. Can anyone advise on best destinations with activities and sightseeing and also hotel v villa? Any help appreciated!!

OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 27/10/2021 08:32

Your question is FAR too broad OP. You could literally go anywhere in Europe and get good sightseeing and activities. If you specifically want a villa, then France, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy, Cyprus all fit the bill. How hot do you want it to be as some places are boiling in summer and regularly reach 40 degrees - even the south of France - so is that too hot for you? What kind of activities are you looking for - water sports, horse riding, hill walking, kiddie pool????

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 27/10/2021 08:44

Also, budget! You have essentially asked for the length of a piece of string

However on hotel vs villa with teens who are not well known for getting out of bed promptly of a morning we’ve always preferred a villa with a pool so everyone can do their own thing in the morning without loads of nagging and crossness and plan any outings etc for the afternoon / evening. It provides so much more flexibility as well as privacy (we are very anti social on holiday!)

Please
or

trumpisagit · 27/10/2021 10:06

Greek Islands, loads of choice and beautiful.
What languages are your kids studying? If you really don't mind where you go, I would go with their language choice as they will absorb some

Please
or

EmmaStone · 27/10/2021 10:36

We normally do self-catered villa in Europe in the summer (actually we normally do an enormous group holiday for one week, and one week just the 4 of us, which will sometimes be hotels as we may be travelling around).

The world is your oyster! As a starting point, what are your kids studying? Languages, History, Classics? Are they sporty, need lots of activity, or happy to swim in the pool and mooch around towns/sights? We try to balance out a week with everyone's input, so everyone gets to do something they want (eg DH - cycling or a sporting event of some kind, me - history/culture, DS - a water park, DD - late mornings, maybe a bit of culture).

As a PP mentioned, temps can vary across Europe, northern France will be similar to UK, but Southern Europe will be baking hot, which can impact on the activities you want to do (Pompeii in August was very, very warm!).

A hotel can give you the sense of a proper break, someone else cooking and cleaning for you, but I find eating out for every single meal gets a bit tiresome, and I yearn for some plain home-cooked food and a simple lunch. I also don't love sharing my space with others. I like a villla with my own pool that I don't have to share. We still tend to eat out at least once a day, but it makes for simpler meals back at the villa (and I love a mooch around a foreign supermarket!), and also means I don't come home feeling bloated and unhealthy!!

For villa bookings, I tend to use VRBO as my first port of call, but AirBNB is also useful.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?