Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Mask for kids to fly in

7 replies

orangina01 · 24/10/2021 09:37

Hi there, we hope to be flying to the USA at Christmas. I believe US airlines require masks for anyone over two on all flights. We have some masks mine have been wearing when needed in the UK, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a really comfortable kids mask that would be good for wearing for such a long period? Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

SummerHouse · 24/10/2021 09:41

I think I would make them. Then you can get exactly the right fit and material. Are you crafty? I am definitely not but I have never found a comfortable shop bought mask. Apart from one I bought at the sea side that's really just a scrap of material with slits cut out at the sides for the ears. It's so breathable it's probably not that effective to be fair.

Please
or

BlackAmericanoNoSugar · 24/10/2021 09:49

The Under Armour masks are supposed to be very cool and comfortable. I haven't tried it myself because I never need to wear a mask for an extended period, but I've heard good things. They come in different sizes.

Please
or

SapereAude · 24/10/2021 14:00

You need the children's surgical masks or ffp2s.
Check if your airline mandates certain types.

Please
or

vajingleberry · 24/10/2021 14:19

I think I would make them

As @SapereAude says, most airlines require passengers to wear the surgical masks or FFP2s.

Please
or

orangina01 · 24/10/2021 20:49

Thanks all, I hadn't seen anything about the surgical masks so will define look that up. All the photos my sister sent of her kids on flights in the US they were wearing standard fabric ones so I'll definitely need to check!

OP posts:
Please
or

saltedcaramelanything · 24/10/2021 20:50

Fabric ones are okay - the only stipulation is not the type with vents

Please
or

SapereAude · 25/10/2021 10:04

@saltedcaramelanything

Fabric ones are okay - the only stipulation is not the type with vents

Depends on the airline. It's not a blanket aviation industry policy. Some insist on "not cloth"
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?