Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Masks for travel to Italy

12 replies

Janek · 16/10/2021 07:31

We are flying to Italy on Friday and I wonder if anyone knows what masks we need for the plane - I am sure I read somewhere they needed to be those hardcore FFP2 ones, but I can't find it now, all I can see is 'medical masks' which I presume are the ordinary blue ones.

Can anyone enlighten me? Also, what about when we're there? Will our usual cloth masks do or do we need medical ones in shops etc too?

TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

Geamhradh · 16/10/2021 07:59

You might get away in some places with cloth ones, but I wouldn't risk it. Places can decide whether or not to allow them but only surgical and ffp2 are mandated by the govt. You can pick up surgical ones everywhere now, our local supermarket does 10 for €1,40. Ffp2s are the little white cone ones that fit more snuggly. Here you can get 3 of those for about €5.
I think individual airlines decide which type of masks to permit, so your airline website will tell you.

Please
or

Newnormal99 · 16/10/2021 08:07

We have an office in Italy and I know the ffp2 have to be worn when in the office. I am not 100% if that's company rules or Italian law but given how strict I know everything is there I suspect the latter!

Please
or

Caspianberg · 16/10/2021 08:11

FfP2 have to be worn in shops where we are also. I don’t think they had to be worn on plane though, as we wore recently but many had fabric on plane.
In Italy you will find FfP2 cheaply all over the place like supermarket/ pharmacies. In kost of Europe FfP2 masks had been compulsory for over a year now so easy to source

Please
or

Janek · 16/10/2021 08:13

That is really helpful, thank you both.

OP posts:
Please
or

Geamhradh · 16/10/2021 09:29

@Newnormal99

We have an office in Italy and I know the ffp2 have to be worn when in the office. I am not 100% if that's company rules or Italian law but given how strict I know everything is there I suspect the latter!

No, it's individual companies. There's no absolute govt mandate about types of mask. There was talk about mandating ffp2 for schools and I stocked up for DD, but the school is handing out packs of surgical.
Please
or

Janek · 16/10/2021 13:23

Where are you Caspianberg? We're going to Lunigiana, although it sounds like surgical masks are fine for the plane (I looked on the Ryanair website) and we can source the others when we're there is necessary. Thank you again :-).

OP posts:
Please
or

Sgtmajormummy · 16/10/2021 13:35

Ah, you’re going to Lunigiana! I lived and worked in Sarzana for several years. Any special reason? A visit to the Carrara Marble quarries is a must, as well as Luni archeological site. Fosdinovo Malaspina castle has some great views over the valley.

If you go to Sarzana (walled town) you HAVE to get an ice cream from Biagi, I still dream about their Pappa Reale (Royal jelly ) semifreddo…. A cheap meal can be had from the many takeaway filled focaccia places.

I’ll be in La Spezia over the weekend of 31/10 staying in Le Grazie- great for the Cinque Terre but only by train.

Please
or

Sgtmajormummy · 16/10/2021 13:38

And yes, ordinary disposable surgical masks are fine . Don’t know about air travel.
Restaurants can and museums will ask for proof of vaccination. Major museums will also need to be booked in advance, but the times I’ve visited Luni amphitheater we were the only visitors…

Please
or

Janek · 16/10/2021 13:38

At the risk of completely outing myself, my mil has an apartment in Bagnone. We've been lots of times, but it's been two years now, I can't wait, and I don't want to get refused entry on a technicality!!!

We haven't been to Sarzana for a long time, maybe we'll take a trip there for your gelateria.

OP posts:
Please
or

Sgtmajormummy · 16/10/2021 13:52

Much further North, then.
Have you seen the YouTube videos of the American Lady (forgotten her Estate but it’s a big one) who bought a tiny house in Villafranca?
She’s refreshingly down to earth as she searches in flea markets for old light fittings etc.

Please
or

Sgtmajormummy · 16/10/2021 13:55

Fivizzano

Please
or

Janek · 16/10/2021 14:37

I hadn't heard of her, no, but she's hilarious!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?