Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Totally bewildered by Spain

43 replies

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 00:24

Please help!
I’ve just booked five days in barfxelona going Tuesday (myself and two incompletely vaccinated 13 year olds)
So: we all need a Covid test to fly to Spain
. But is it antigen or PCR? Unjust can’t work it out!
If it’s PCR how does it work.. should I have it on Sunday - or Monday and how do the results get back In time?
Then when we’re there we need to find somewhere in Barcelona that does fit to fly antigen tests for the two children
And then when we’re back we have to have day 2 pcrs. We have to have booked these in advance and have a code but when do we need this - do I need to book them before we leave?
It’s so confusing

OP posts:
Please
or

shalanga2 · 16/10/2021 00:33

If you're vaccinated you don't need a test. If you are: "For persons resident in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland coming directly from this country, in addition to the vaccination certificate, diagnostic certificates of NAAT tests (nucleic acid amplification tests, e.g.: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, HAD, NEAR, CRISPR, SDA.....) will also be considered valid" from www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm

Please
or

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 00:35

And do 13 year olds. Red only a day two PCR or a day 8 as well????

OP posts:
Please
or

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 00:37

Thanks
So I don’t need a test
But my incompletely vaccinated (thanks uk government…) do need a test
I don’t really understand all these acronyms but I think antigen tests aren’t included?

Then the children need to take antigen tests to come home

And then we all book pcrs for day 2 in return. Hit do the kids need to do a day 8 as well?

OP posts:
Please
or

GreenLunchBox · 16/10/2021 00:39

Can people not wait until things calm down to travel for a bloody holiday, FFS? We've got disgusting rates of infection.

Please
or

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 00:44

Ok I’ve waded through it - whole single dose people do need to do day 2 and day 8 tests children ages 5-28 don not need to compete a day 8 test

OP posts:
Please
or

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 00:46

I sort of agree with you and I am very much regretting my very expensive impulse buy

OP posts:
Please
or

stickygotstuck · 16/10/2021 00:47

OP as I understand it, you all need PCR tests (since you are not fully vaccinated) taken within 72 hours of arriving in Spain. Plus you all need to fill in a passenger locator/health monitoring form for the Spanish authorities.

Then you all need either antigen or PCR tests before you can get the plane back (antigen ones are faster and cheaper, readily available in many private clinics in Barcelona).

Then you all need 2nd day PCR tests. You need to hook these in avance because you need the reference to fill your psssengee locator form to fly back to the UK.

But do check the link posted above by a PP for up to date information.

Please
or

GreenLunchBox · 16/10/2021 00:47

@lateforschool

I sort of agree with you and I am very much regretting my very expensive impulse buy

Are you replying to me?
Please
or

trumpisagit · 16/10/2021 00:56

You need pcr's less than 72 hrs before you arrive in Spain. You need the result before you fly, so probably do them tomorrow.
It depends on availability locally, there's some choice of providers in larger cities.
Given you are tight for time they may cost up to £100.
You will all need day 2 tests when you get home.

Please
or

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 00:57

Ah and now I see why I was confused about antigen or PCR. If we hadn’t left the EU we could use the far cheaper antigen tests like all the other countries.
For a government that spouts off about the importance of freedoms I can’t say that leaving the EU has done anything but restrict our freedom of travel .

OP posts:
Please
or

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 00:57

Yes

OP posts:
Please
or

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 01:00

@stickygotstuck

OP as I understand it, you all need PCR tests (since you are not fully vaccinated) taken within 72 hours of arriving in Spain. Plus you all need to fill in a passenger locator/health monitoring form for the Spanish authorities.

Then you all need either antigen or PCR tests before you can get the plane back (antigen ones are faster and cheaper, readily available in many private clinics in Barcelona).

Then you all need 2nd day PCR tests. You need to hook these in avance because you need the reference to fill your psssengee locator form to fly back to the UK.

But do check the link posted above by a PP for up to date information.

Thank you.
OP posts:
Please
or

EmmaStone · 16/10/2021 07:53

We're going to Spain on Wednesday.

Double vaxxed don't need to test

Unvaccinated need a (private, not NHS) PCR taken no more than 72 hours before landing. I am taking my kids for theirs on Sunday morning, so I'd try and do yours today to allow plenty of time for the results.

You need to complete the Spanish passenger locator form no more than 48 hrs before you fly.

To return (as of yesterday), you will all need to do a (private, not NHS) LFT by Day 2.

Please
or

EmmaStone · 16/10/2021 07:55

Oh and make sure you've downloaded your confirmation of vaccination on the App for your proof.

Please
or

Zampa · 16/10/2021 07:58

To return (as of yesterday), you will all need to do a (private, not NHS) LFT by Day 2

The removal of Day 2 PCRs comes in on 24/10 and LFTs can be booked from 22/10.

Please
or

NCTDN · 16/10/2021 08:04

@lateforschool

Thanks
So I don’t need a test
But my incompletely vaccinated (thanks uk government…) do need a test
I don’t really understand all these acronyms but I think antigen tests aren’t included?

Then the children need to take antigen tests to come home

And then we all book pcrs for day 2 in return. Hit do the kids need to do a day 8 as well?

Do the children need tests in Spain before flying home?
Please
or

EmmaStone · 16/10/2021 08:14

@Zampa

To return (as of yesterday), you will all need to do a (private, not NHS) LFT by Day 2

The removal of Day 2 PCRs comes in on 24/10 and LFTs can be booked from 22/10.

Crikey yes! Sorry to miss that, it fits in with our dates, hence the oversight to point it out!
Please
or

AuditAngel · 16/10/2021 08:26

And don’t forget to complete your UK passenger locator form 2 days before returning to the UK

Please
or

AliasGrape · 16/10/2021 08:38

We’ve just been to Spain.

Me and husband fully vaccinated - no test needed to fly out or whilst there - we had to fill out a passenger locator form before flying and also take our vaccine information with us - mine was checked on arrival but DH’s wasn’t. DD did not need to test or have vaccine info as she’s under 12. DD did need her own passenger locator form.

We did not need to test whilst there - that’s been scrapped now for fully vaccinated.

We did need to book Day 2 tests for our return. We ordered them before we left so that we had a reference number - these reference numbers were required for the passenger locator forms that we had to fill in before returning to the UK. These forms were not checked at all on return to the UK but the airline check in staff did give them a quick glance before we took off. I’m sure this varies!

For travel TO Spain:
If you’re fully vaccinated you don’t need any further pcr tests, just your vaccine pass and their version of the passenger locator form.

If your children are under 12 they don’t need any pcr test or vaccine certificate. They’ll need their own passenger locator forms still.

If your child hasn’t had any dose of the vaccine and is over 12 then yes they will need additional PCR tests.

If your child has had one dose of the vaccine - unclear. The UK and Spanish gov sites both say that you must show proof of vaccination with either both doses of a 2 dose vaccine or 1 dose of a single dose vaccine. As children of this age are ONLY being offered a single dose, I would think that would be sufficient - however I’d check this, your travel agent or airline might be a good place to start?

For return to the UK:

For return to the UK

You don’t need a pre departure pcr test if file vaccinated.

Your under 18 children do not need a pre-departure test whether vaccinated or not.

Fully vaccinated adults and anyone under 18 do not need to quarantine on arrival back in UK.

Adults and anyone over 5 will need the day 2 PCR tests on return - book these before you go (we used randox and they were posted to us ready to use when you arrive back) so that you have the reference numbers. These reference numbers are needed for the UK passenger locator forms which you need to fill in from 48 hours before you return to the uk.

If you’re returning to the Uk AFTER the 24th October you don’t need to do the more expensive PCR tests and can do what’s called lateral flow or antigen tests instead - although I’m not sure if that’s been made official yet.

Please
or

Wegobshite · 16/10/2021 08:42

You can use Expert medical for the day two test
They are 28 quid
Print everything out just in case
There are some very good Facebook pages with all the up to date info

Please
or

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 10:18

Thank you.
The single shot in the UK does not count as vaccinated sadly - it counts as incompletely vaccinated
I’m glad we don’t need lateral flows before travelling back. Such conflicting advice though. Kuoni says under 18 don’t need it but another website says all unvaccinated do
Seems cray to me that under 18s can travel to England without testing when these are the groups with the highest Covid rates
Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 10:19

Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

abricotine · 16/10/2021 10:26

Why is it crazy? The U18s are catching covid in their classrooms in the U.K., not on holiday in places with low case rates, high vaccinations and masks…
Hope you have a great time, almost any
standard holiday destination is safer than here right now!

Please
or

lateforschool · 16/10/2021 11:19

@AliasGrape

We’ve just been to Spain.

Me and husband fully vaccinated - no test needed to fly out or whilst there - we had to fill out a passenger locator form before flying and also take our vaccine information with us - mine was checked on arrival but DH’s wasn’t. DD did not need to test or have vaccine info as she’s under 12. DD did need her own passenger locator form.

We did not need to test whilst there - that’s been scrapped now for fully vaccinated.

We did need to book Day 2 tests for our return. We ordered them before we left so that we had a reference number - these reference numbers were required for the passenger locator forms that we had to fill in before returning to the UK. These forms were not checked at all on return to the UK but the airline check in staff did give them a quick glance before we took off. I’m sure this varies!

For travel TO Spain:
If you’re fully vaccinated you don’t need any further pcr tests, just your vaccine pass and their version of the passenger locator form.

If your children are under 12 they don’t need any pcr test or vaccine certificate. They’ll need their own passenger locator forms still.

If your child hasn’t had any dose of the vaccine and is over 12 then yes they will need additional PCR tests.

If your child has had one dose of the vaccine - unclear. The UK and Spanish gov sites both say that you must show proof of vaccination with either both doses of a 2 dose vaccine or 1 dose of a single dose vaccine. As children of this age are ONLY being offered a single dose, I would think that would be sufficient - however I’d check this, your travel agent or airline might be a good place to start?

For return to the UK:

For return to the UK

You don’t need a pre departure pcr test if file vaccinated.

Your under 18 children do not need a pre-departure test whether vaccinated or not.

Fully vaccinated adults and anyone under 18 do not need to quarantine on arrival back in UK.

Adults and anyone over 5 will need the day 2 PCR tests on return - book these before you go (we used randox and they were posted to us ready to use when you arrive back) so that you have the reference numbers. These reference numbers are needed for the UK passenger locator forms which you need to fill in from 48 hours before you return to the uk.

If you’re returning to the Uk AFTER the 24th October you don’t need to do the more expensive PCR tests and can do what’s called lateral flow or antigen tests instead - although I’m not sure if that’s been made official yet.

The standard just ean an sticks saying children under ten only don’t need a pre departure test before returning to UK.
OP posts:
Please
or

Remmy123 · 16/10/2021 14:38

@GreenLunchBox wait for how long??? Covid is here to stay - I went to Spain in august with my kids and had a fab time!!

You can carry on restricting your life.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?