Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Portugal rules - anyone got up-to-date info?

10 replies

Motherdare · 14/10/2021 13:40

I think we don’t need to test before we go. I think the NHS Covid vaccination certificate is all we need to go, is that right? And then nothing before you return, just the day 2 test once back home?

Can anyone just confirm if I’m right? The info out there is often not updated and I don’t want to make a mistake. Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please
or

KnottyKnitting · 14/10/2021 14:04

Yes- no test needed if fully vaccinated - Portugal are now accepting the NHS digital covid passport. Locator form 48 hours before you fly there is still required. On the way back locator form for the UK also needed with the code for the day 2 test filled in.

Currently day 2 test is a PCR but likely to move to an LFT by the end of October. ( Either test still needs to be from a private provider.)

Please
or

Motherdare · 14/10/2021 14:06

Thanks, phew!

For the day 2 test, is it all children age 5 and over?

OP posts:
Please
or

Motherdare · 14/10/2021 14:06

We’re going next week so I guess I have to stick with current rules - annoying if it changes to lateral flow and everything paid for PCR.

OP posts:
Please
or

IsabellesMissingSock · 14/10/2021 15:02

@Motherdare

We’re going next week so I guess I have to stick with current rules - annoying if it changes to lateral flow and everything paid for PCR.

You can order the tests while you're away so might be worth waiting. I'm flying home on Sat and have yet to order my day 2 tests. I was hoping the change would happen this week but I've admitted defeat...
Please
or

Delatron · 14/10/2021 16:00

It’s annoying they’ve not said when they’ll drop the day 2 return PCR. They said by half term - 31st October but that’s after half term!

I’m waiting and ordering out there (we’re off to Canaries).

What I found annoying in the summer is that I bought 4 PCR tests for kids too and on the PLF back in to the U.K. they only ask for the code for adults. They also don’t follow up the tests so it’s just money making. Obviously some tests need to be done but a cheaper LFT should suffice. Hopefully the rules will change soon.

Please
or

KnottyKnitting · 14/10/2021 16:49

Yeah we are waiting to order our day 2 tests- will do it while we are out there in Portugal ( going out for 10 days next week. ) Will be fine so long as I have the code for the locator form which is filled in 48 hours before you return to the uk- plan to leave it as long as possible and hope it will be an LFT by the time we are due to return.

Please
or

KnottyKnitting · 15/10/2021 08:43

Just confirmed- day 2 tests to be LFTS from 24th October and if these are positive then a free NHS PCR can be used to confirm.

Covid-19: Cheaper travel tests to start on 24 October www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58917231

Please
or

Longdistance · 15/10/2021 08:44

We’re heading to Portugal on the 24th. No tests for me, dh and dd2 as we’re vaccinated and dd2 is too young, dd1 however has to test.
When we return we’ll have to do the day 2 test which we’ll order whilst out there (wait) to see if anything changes.

Please
or

Longdistance · 15/10/2021 08:51

@KnottyKnitting cross post. That’s good news about the LFT. The PCR test is more expensive. I was glad when they said double jabbed didn’t need a test. We’d have begrudgingly paid for the tests, but it’s always good when you save a bit of money.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?