Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Xmas on my own - inspiration pls!

16 replies

Pogodog · 10/10/2021 20:59

DS 10 is going to be with his dad this year for the first time, which means I’ve potentially got 3 nights on my own over Xmas. I feel okay about this I think, and I’m trying to see it as a chance to do something different.

I’ve thought about going away somewhere, would like to do a walking or group activity maybe, but everything seems to be for 5 days plus. I’m also trying not to think of forced games and jollity with a load of strangers in a hotel, gamely pulling crackers while grimacing inwardly (probably just me)!!

What Xmases have worked best for you if you’ve been on your own, and if you’ve done a solo trip, how was it?

Any ideas would be great.

OP posts:
Please
or

Wanttohideaway · 10/10/2021 21:03

Hello OP. I had a Christmas alone once, I literally used the time to declutter the house and have a good sort out. I know it doesn't sound very exciting or interesting though! I'd have loved a few days away alone.

Please
or

AuntieStella · 10/10/2021 21:05

I haven't been in your shoes, but as walking appeals, I suggest you do a parkrun on Christmas Day (despite the name, it's absolutely fine to walk). It'll be a friendly group (fancy dress not compulsory) and take up the morning.

Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, even if you're not religious (just go for the carols and the atmosphere)

And there are lots of events on Boxing Day (runs, open water swims if you're very hardy!)

Please
or

pennysays · 10/10/2021 21:06

Oh bliss!! Well, what do you like to do? If it was me I would ignore Christmas and have an “exactly what I want” day. Which would be some form of exercise in the day, a hot bath a couple of amazing films, great food, day time drinking and a seriously early night!

Please
or

abricotine · 10/10/2021 21:22

Maybe not what you are after but a friend of mine used to volunteer on the day serving Xmas dinner in a shelter or to lonely elderly etc - there was a good festive atmosphere along with the other helpers and people were enormously grateful. Coupled with some good cheese and wine in the evening, and a hot bath and good movies later on as suggested above, I could definitely be tempted!

Please
or

languagelover96 · 11/10/2021 16:44

Xmas in a hotel somewhere

Please
or

BluebelllsRosesDaffodills · 11/10/2021 16:45

Ask local pubs and hotels if they need any staff?

Please
or

BluebelllsRosesDaffodills · 11/10/2021 16:46

Go to Russia, where Xmas is a completely different day

Please
or

CareerConcerns1999 · 11/10/2021 16:47

@Wanttohideaway

Hello OP. I had a Christmas alone once, I literally used the time to declutter the house and have a good sort out. I know it doesn't sound very exciting or interesting though! I'd have loved a few days away alone.

Oh god this is what I would do!
Please
or

CurryLover55 · 11/10/2021 16:49

3 night break in a cottage? Log fire, roll top bath etc. Bliss!

Please
or

GoodnightGrandma · 11/10/2021 16:51

I would also forget Xmas and do some decorating or have a clear out of my loft.

Please
or

RainyDayzs · 11/10/2021 16:52

Which area are you in?
We can find you a 3 night break away!

Please
or

Pogodog · 11/10/2021 21:31

Thanks all. Love hearing people’s different ideas!
Am determined not to do clear out stuff as I’ve done a lot of that recently… am definitely edging more towards the nicer stuff Smile.
Tempted to do something in a group but no dates add up.

Rainydayz, I’m in the south west

OP posts:
Please
or

Laurie01 · 11/10/2021 21:37

pennysays Sounds perfect!

Please
or

CareerConcerns1999 · 11/10/2021 21:38

A whistle stop trip to NYC?

Drop dc at their dads at 8am, off to the airport, you would be in NYC by 1pm their time. 3xnights and days exploring.

Please
or

SingingSands · 11/10/2021 21:44

I did a posh shop at M&S, buying all the food I couldn't normally justify buying, with some prosecco and wine. I lit some lovely candles, watched some lovely films and ate my lovely food, wrapped up in a lovely blanket on my sofa. I don't think I actually left the house, it was really just about pottering about, eating and drinking when I wanted, napping and watching tv. I didn't realise how much good it had done me until I caught myself in the mirror - my shoulders were down, my face was relaxed, I felt peaceful.

Please
or

Skiptotheloo1 · 12/10/2021 13:59

How about flight from Bristol to Iceland for a couple of nights. Amazing country which would be magical at Christmas

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?