Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

A week on my own, flying from Barbados

8 replies

grenache · 08/10/2021 23:46

I am going to Barbados for a family wedding in November. My partner and family have to fly back for work, but I have the week after as leave.

I have a bit of money (not massive amounts) and lots of airmiles if necessary. I like the outdoors and culture. But I do not want to end up feeling awkward for being alone somewhere, as lots of places near to Barbados seem to be couples destinations.

I was thinking maybe of doing a few days extra or a week somewhere. I thought maybe another island or maybe New York if it’s opened up by then.

Obviously covid makes these things so much more complicated.

Anyone got any decent suggestions?

OP posts:
Please
or

thatonesmine · 08/10/2021 23:57

New York would be a good choice and you wouldn't feel out of place on your own, it's popular with women making solo trips. The weather in November should be ok, their seasons are about a month behind ours so similar to our October, depending on timing you'd probably see autumn colours.

Please
or

underneaththeash · 09/10/2021 06:26

Le sport in St Lucia is lovely and lots of women go alone.
Miami is also usually fairly warm, but I always feel less safe there than in New York.
There are also direct flights to Boston - but I'm not sure that the weather is great in November (seem to remember a friend was snowed in once!)

Please
or

PlateSpinnerExtraordinaire · 09/10/2021 07:50

I second Bodyhotel St Lucia

Please
or

Dontforgetyourbrolly · 09/10/2021 07:53

Speaking as a travel agent here id not twin centre right now due to rules and regulations. That's double the paperwork and testing and double the risk of your flight being cancelled
Don't be fooled by the ' relaxed regulations ' thats only the UK. Other countries have been changing their restrictions weekly.
Stay in Barbados there's plenty to do

Please
or

Dontforgetyourbrolly · 09/10/2021 07:54

No one has officially given the go ahead for travel into the US either

Please
or

NewIdeasToday · 09/10/2021 08:26

Barbados is fab. If it was me I’d just book a lovely hotel and stay there for another week. Take some good books and enjoy the peace. There are bound to be yours you could join if you’d prefer to explore but want some company. A good guide can make a trip much more interesting.

Please
or

NewIdeasToday · 09/10/2021 08:26

Should be ‘tours’ not ‘yours’

Please
or

musaib · 09/10/2021 12:18

As you say, it depends on the US rules on Brits entering. But I would recommend Washington DC or New York.

You could go to one of the less 'well known'/touristic Caribbean islands like Dominica or St Vincent? Anguilla? But then these are pretty pricey to get to, and would require you to go back to a 'big' island for direct flights back to the UK.

I personally wasn't a huge fan of places in the Caribbean, but that's because I'm a tight arse and I thought quite a lot of things were overpriced :P

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?