Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Foldable, lightweight luggage trolley for airport

10 replies

Happyasahedgehog · 06/10/2021 14:41

I have just bought new luggage, cabin size backpacks 55 x 40 x 20cm and I'm now looking for a lightweight, folding luggage trolley that I can use at the airport, then put away in one of the backpacks, as I don't think that my youngest child will be able to carry his luggage very far, and from my experience, you can't always find a trolley when you need one at an airport.
Does such a thing exist?

OP posts:
Please
or

emmathedilemma · 06/10/2021 14:55

Why didn't you just buy the more common option of luggage with wheels??

Please
or

Justmuddlingalong · 06/10/2021 15:00

I think the majority of travellers used wheeled luggage so in my experience there are always loads of spare luggage trolleys.

Please
or

notimagain · 06/10/2021 15:53

There are plenty of small foldable carts around on the usual on line selling sites but I suspect even when collapsed they’d take up a fair amount of the volume of a 55x40x20 cm backpack…

When I’ve seen these used in the past on aircraft the users generally don’t fold them up and put them inside the bags, they stow them as a separate item in the overhead locker …just be aware you may have troubles doing that at some airlines if the carry-on baggage policy is strict and is enforced…

Probably a bit late to mention this now but there are backpacks around that come with built in wheels and extendable handles but the wheels and other bits add to the weight and reduce internal volume.

Please
or

Happyasahedgehog · 06/10/2021 16:03

I bought the bags without the wheels as I am desperate to max out the size of our cabin baggage and the airlines take the size of the wheels in to account in terms of the overall measurements; so I would rather have the extra internal space. I'll have a Google and see what I turn up.

OP posts:
Please
or

Nookable · 06/10/2021 16:08

If its just the youngest that can't carry it can you carry yours on your back and their one on your front?

Backpackers do it all the time and it would mean you wouldn't lose any space.

Please
or

notimagain · 06/10/2021 16:57

@Happyasahedgehog

I bought the bags without the wheels as I am desperate to max out the size of our cabin baggage and the airlines take the size of the wheels in to account in terms of the overall measurements; so I would rather have the extra internal space. I'll have a Google and see what I turn up.

OK good luck, hope you get something that works.

“ the airlines take the size of the wheels in to account in terms of the overall measurements; ”

They certainly often do…I once witnessed a passenger trying to smash the wheels off his wheeled bag by slamming it repeatedly onto the terminal floor in an attempt to get it into the gauging box used by Easyjet……the look on the gate staffs’ faces was priceless.

I was getting on another flight at an adjacent gate so never saw how it all ended up.
Please
or

Happyasahedgehog · 06/10/2021 17:21

@Nookable

If its just the youngest that can't carry it can you carry yours on your back and their one on your front?

Backpackers do it all the time and it would mean you wouldn't lose any space.

Good idea!
OP posts:
Please
or

emmathedilemma · 06/10/2021 17:39

I bought the bags without the wheels as I am desperate to max out the size of our cabin baggage and the airlines take the size of the wheels in to account in terms of the overall measurements; so I would rather have the extra internal space
But now you're got to fit a trolley in that'll take up your extra internal space!!

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 06/10/2021 21:51

They certainly often do…I once witnessed a passenger trying to smash the wheels off his wheeled bag by slamming it repeatedly onto the terminal floor in an attempt to get it into the gauging box used by Easyjet……the look on the gate staffs’ faces was priceless

Makes perfect sense. The cost of replacing the bag will often be less than the money the airline want to put it in the hold.

To be honest, I'd just buy an It World's lightest cabin case. The handle goes round the outside so it takes far more stuff than many trolley cases. Cheap folding trolleys will be rubbish and take up space in your bag anyway.

www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2708854_c101/it-luggage-world-s-lightest-wide-handle-suitcase-black

Please
or

Happyasahedgehog · 07/10/2021 09:53

@emmathedilemma

I bought the bags without the wheels as I am desperate to max out the size of our cabin baggage and the airlines take the size of the wheels in to account in terms of the overall measurements; so I would rather have the extra internal space
But now you're got to fit a trolley in that'll take up your extra internal space!!

True! Blush
OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?