Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Another 'can I get my 16 year old to spain in half term' thread. She had Covid 2 weeks ago!

19 replies

Heedly · 06/10/2021 06:36

We're due to fly on 18 October. She had a positive PCR on 23 September.

I've read, as she is 16, she can get a covid passport on her phone, and now the passport will show the date of a positive PCR. A record of recovery effectively.

Spain doesn't accept certificates of recovery from the UK, for some reason - it does from the EU, so I am assuming we still need to get DD a PCR 72 hours before.

We fly on a Monday, so I will worry about the time for getting results back on the weekend, so likely to do that test on the Friday. That will be 22 days after she tested positive. What chance is there of her still registering as positive? Does anyone have any data? It would be nice to know if it's 50% chance or 3% chance.

GCSE year so it's the last chance of a break before next summer.

OP posts:
Please
or

Heedly · 07/10/2021 07:58

Anyone?

OP posts:
Please
or

ChristmasWithDC · 07/10/2021 08:03

My partner had similar with his 16yo at the beginning of September. He’d tested positive for Covid at the end of July but multiple lateral flow tests came back negative from early August onwards. He still tested positive for Covid with the PCR test that was needed just before travel and none of them could go as a result.

I don’t have any data I’m afraid but could you fill in the form saying she has symptoms so you can get another PCR test? Then at least you’ll have an idea if it’s still in her system or not.

Please
or

Weepingwillows12 · 07/10/2021 08:08

I don't have data either but a colleague got stuck in Spain for 5 weeks, 7 weeks after having covid because the pcrs were still showing her as positive.

Please
or

EileenGC · 07/10/2021 08:12

No one can give an exact figure because it will depend on how much viral load your daughter is carrying when she does the test… some people have it show up for 2-3 months, others are negative within days. It’s really random. I guess she’s not fully vaccinated yet?

Please
or

Heedly · 07/10/2021 08:34

No, she got covid the week she turned 16. The day I was taking her to be vaccinated I instead took her for a pcr test, due to her symptoms and it running rampant through the school. She'd not have been fully vaccinated anyway, with just one.

OP posts:
Please
or

tumpymummy · 07/10/2021 17:42

A friend of mine had this worry in the summer after her son had covid. In the end they booked a PCR at a normal walk in to see if son could get a PCR without showing positive. He did. So that reassured them that when he went for the 72 hour test he would be negative.

Please
or

Abraxan · 07/10/2021 18:09

DD's friend was testing negative from about 8 days after first testing positive. She was due to fly home after a gap year but tested positive on her previous departure test. She flew home just short of a fortnight later, having tested negative on both pcr and lft.

Please
or

Abraxan · 07/10/2021 18:10

Have you tried testing her on a home LFT to see if that is registering it?

Please
or

Kaka303 · 07/10/2021 19:52

I'm currently in the same situation. We were told by test and Protect that our kids don't need to take any tests to fly because of their recent positive tests and the email or text from them is proof of recovery and this should be ok?

Please
or

abricotine · 07/10/2021 20:13

Who is Test and Protect? The FCDO say “ Certificates of recovery - a medical document certifying that you have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months prior to travel - is not currently accepted for arrivals from the UK. See the Spanish Ministry of Health ‘Travel and COVID-19’ page for details.”

Please
or

MovingtoEssex · 07/10/2021 20:24

DD tested positive on 7th sept and a PCR on 29th Sept was negative.
You could get an NHS one a couple of days before to test it out - go to a centre a results are back pretty quick.

Please
or

Kaka303 · 07/10/2021 20:39

Test and Protect are the ones who contact you when you have a positive test in scotland. They advised several people have contacted them about this and that's their advice. But yes I've looked at the Spanish regulations and read that too

Please
or

Heedly · 07/10/2021 20:53

@MovingtoEssex Won't they know she had a PCR test just a few weeks ago - and the advice is to wait 90 days until you test again?

OP posts:
Please
or

abricotine · 07/10/2021 21:39

@Kaka303 apologies I didn’t recognise the name.
Good luck to you for your travels, hopefully T&P have some basis / agreement with Spain in order to make that statement surely?

Please
or

Kaka303 · 07/10/2021 22:19

@abricotine you would think so but I'm not holding my breath!

Please
or

MovingtoEssex · 08/10/2021 00:30

@Heedly
Fair point - ours was part of the ONS study so happening anyway.
I've just looked at the nhs form and it doesn't ask about previous tests and let me get through to the page choose a time slot.

Please
or

Clammyclam · 10/10/2021 00:04

[quote MovingtoEssex]@Heedly
Fair point - ours was part of the ONS study so happening anyway.
I've just looked at the nhs form and it doesn't ask about previous tests and let me get through to the page choose a time slot.[/quote]
What happens if it's positive on a NHS PCR (2nd time) do they expect you to self isolate again
I'm sure I read this somewhere but would happily be told I'm wrong

DD is 12 and we are due to go to Spain soon.
She's only 2.5 weeks post positive PCR
We have booked a lamp test as read they were 1. Accepted and 2. Less sensitive.
I'm not holding my breath though.
I hate this unknown- as essentially as a doubled vaccinated adult I could still travel with it and be asymptotic which is bonkers!!!

Any further advice welcome here too.

Please
or

trumpisagit · 10/10/2021 21:05

@Clammyclam where did you book a LAMP test?

Please
or

Clammyclam · 10/10/2021 21:11

[quote dHJ1bXBpc2FnaXRdKipAClammyclam** where did you book a LAMP test?[/quote]

I saw on JET2 that those were accepted so looked at our nearest provider and it was an airport not too far away.
I do believe you can get postal ones too

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?