Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where to pair with a week in NYC?

13 replies

Makeminea · 04/10/2021 15:56

Hi folks, I’m looking at a week in New York City next summer, with 2 teens.
I’m trying to decide where to go for a second week. We’ll be doing lots of sightseeing, walking etc so would like some downtime in the second week.
Any suggestions? Either areas close to NYC or perhaps a second city that’s more relaxing? Either hotel or house rental, won’t be hiring a car. Happy with beach or countryside.
Don’t want to have too much travel but happy for a shortish flight to the second place, provided we can then fly straight to London return.

OP posts:
Please
or

gogohm · 04/10/2021 16:11

Long Island? Personally i would love to go up to Niagara etc but I'm not into downtime really so I would go to a few places as a mini road trip

Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 04/10/2021 18:25

Washington DC may suit you here for the second week and you can get on a train between the two cities.

Please
or

HundredMilesAnHour · 04/10/2021 18:36

I'd hop on a flight to the Bahamas. Only 4 hours flying time.

Please
or

bookish83 · 04/10/2021 18:39

Cape Cod

Please
or

Auntpodder · 04/10/2021 18:39

Miami will be v cheap in summer - muggy/tropical storm time but fun for teens…

Please
or

BrilloPaddy · 04/10/2021 18:47

Long Island would be amazing, and you can get the train from Grand Central. Montauk is on my bucket list.

Please
or

littlefireseverywhere · 04/10/2021 18:48

I'd second Long Island, Bermuda or the Bahamas.

Please
or

sar302 · 04/10/2021 18:53

Long Island is lovely, but it will be rammed and expensive in the summer as everyone is trying to escape NYC.

If it were me, I'd fly up to somewhere in New England. Maybe do a few days in Boston, or head straight to Maine. Waterfront cottage some where. water sports. As much lobster as I could eat....

Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 04/10/2021 19:10

Bear Mountain State Park is fairly easy to get to. You could take the Metro-North Railroad from Grand Central to the Peekskill station, and then it's a short ride by taxi to the park. I think there are also coaches from New York City Port Authority terminal.
There’s also Cold Spring which is gorgeous and accessible by train from NYC.

Please
or

Imohsotired · 04/10/2021 19:11

I’d fly to Mexico/a Caribbean island for some down time. If you want to stay in US you could take the train to Boston or Washington or fly to West Coast.

Please
or

Zodlebud · 04/10/2021 19:18

Ogunquit and Perkins Cove (Maine). Short flight from La Guardia to Portland and pick up a hire car for the half hour drive or get a cab.

Amazing beach, lots of great restaurants, boutique shops and art galleries and all very walkable. Most accommodation has a pool. It is worth having a car though just to do short day trips to Kennebunkport, Wells etc. A slightly longer drive and you reach some Maine national parks. You’ll be the only Brit tourists there.

You can then fly back home from Boston (about 75 miles away), stopping off in Salem and hearing all about the witch trials.

We had a fab lazy week there.

Please
or

RusholmeRuffian · 06/10/2021 13:34

I'd go to coastal Maine or the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

Please
or

sunshinegirl28 · 06/10/2021 13:35

We did a week New York and then flew to Miami and did a week Caribbean cruise. Was a trio of a life time!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?