Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Is Dubai too hot in summer for family hol?

20 replies

Magnalux · 03/10/2021 23:31

Hi,
Was looking at Dubai for next years summer holiday at the start of July.. is the heat unbearable ? Can you actually get out and about. Kids are 9, 11,12 Many thanks for any info!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Nanny67 · 03/10/2021 23:58

My daughter lives there and I visit around 4 times a year. July is horrific, it's the worst month with temperatures averaging 42-50 degrees. You won't be able to sunbathe or walk about in that heat. Everywhere inside is air conditioned but you don't want to stay indoors on your holiday! The best months are November to march.

Please
or

Rebeccasmoonnecklace · 04/10/2021 00:27

I went to Dubai one year in August, average daily heat was 45, it was unbearably hot.

Please
or

UrbanRambler2 · 04/10/2021 00:46

Yes, OP, much too hot, unless you're a family of lizards.

Please
or

Insert1x20p · 04/10/2021 00:49

I used to live there pre-kids so didn't do the summer exodus that many of the families do. It is unbelievably hot in summer. Only place I've been where the hot yoga studio was cooler than outside Grin. It's also got this weird dry humidity so the air feels thick around you. You end up hopping from air con to air con or submerged in a (chilled) pool. Would not be able to eat outside or stroll around. I now live in HK and it's still pretty grim but nowhere near as hot as Dubai.

Please
or

IsabellesMissingSock · 04/10/2021 05:55

I'm there now, it's 9am, 33 degrees, "real feel" 42 degrees. I imagine in July it's unbearable, and I'm someone who likes the heat.

Please
or

Florencenotflo · 04/10/2021 06:07

We've been in June and November before. The heat really is something else.

Everywhere indoors is air conditioned, outside is sometimes unbearable it honestly takes your breath away as you walk outside. But It does depend on what you're doing. We took Dd when she was 2, that was June 2018 and they were having a heat wave. We stayed at The Atlantis both times , it's an amazing hotel.

We'd get up and out to the water park as soon as it opened. Spend a couple of hours there. Go indoors around lunch, have some food. Dd was still napping at that age so she'd have an hour or so in the room. DH and I started to have a nap too 😂 have a look around the aquariums indoors, then we'd go back out again around 3 for a few more hours in the water park.

The water parks are built for the heat so a lot of canopies and shade around the kids area etc.

But you will need factor 50 and lots of it. Probably easier if your kids will wear them to get UV safe surf tops or something as well as sun cream. Hats, always. Plenty of water all day. And pool shoes. The pathways around the water parks are scorching hot, you can obviously buy them in the hotel, but save yourself some money and get them in sports direct.

We love the heat, but if you find Summer in Spain too hot, I can't imagine it being much fun.

Please
or

Indoctro · 04/10/2021 06:42

Absolutely no way can you visit in summer months for a holiday

Please
or

Autumn101 · 04/10/2021 06:48

I would absolutely avoid July and August - it’s not just the heat, there’s always summer humidity which is horrendous. Some days even walking outside to your car from the supermarket you’re drenched in sweat!

June is very different as it’s still pretty dry heat which is so much easier to deal with

Please
or

pilates · 04/10/2021 06:48

Yes unbearable

Please
or

SpeakingFranglais · 04/10/2021 06:52

I went in April and it was scorching, we only came out at night. During the day I went shopping, skiing and visiting with my friend whose son lives there. So basically stayed inside.

Please
or

PineapplePower · 04/10/2021 07:11

Don’t even think about going outside, the heat is unimaginable to someone from the British Isles. Your kids will not be able to tolerate outdoor activities and unless you hop from mall to mall, not especially great for them.

Even nightfall is thick and oppressive, you just don’t have to worry about getting sunburned I guess.

Please
or

lnsufficientFuns · 04/10/2021 07:13

Are you kidding OP

We went in November and it was verging on horrendous

If you want a holiday entirely indoors - go for it!

Please
or

Magnalux · 04/10/2021 07:23

Thanks for that folks.. hotels are quite cheap at this time.. now I know why!!! I think we will just stick with Europe.

OP posts:
Please
or

bendmeoverbackwards · 05/10/2021 08:54

Is December any cooler?

Please
or

IsabellesMissingSock · 05/10/2021 09:21

@bendmeoverbackwards

Is December any cooler?

I'm sure you can Google it, but yes I believe December to be cooler than the summer months in Dubai.
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 05/10/2021 09:24

The summer heat is also why many Emirati citizens pack up and head overseas for the summer months.

It can be pretty warm then as well; average daytime temperature was low 80s the December I travelled there.

Please
or

TheCanyon · 05/10/2021 09:44

My sil is coming back home next week for a month as it's still so ridiculously hot atm. Dec-feb is the best time to visit really.

Please
or

Sausagesandhoney · 23/10/2021 21:27

Far to hot right now at end of October!

Please
or

Toodlydoo · 23/10/2021 21:44

Yes, awful.

Please
or

MyrtlethePurpleTurtle · 24/10/2021 20:04

@UrbanRambler2

Yes, OP, much too hot, unless you're a family of lizards.

Grin
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?