Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

NYC & Vegas

5 replies

itsureis · 22/09/2021 15:17

Hi ...
I'm hoping to take an 8 day break next April.
I have the obvious sights on my 'to do' list but is there any hidden gems which I need to research/ book.
Thanks !

OP posts:
Please
or

MissConductUS · 22/09/2021 15:21

I'm a New Yorker. It really depends on how much time you plan on spending here, where you'll be staying and what your interests are. If you can expand a bit, I'll try to make some suggestions. Smile

Please
or

itsureis · 22/09/2021 15:38

Oh lovely .... not sure where we're staying as my DP has booked it - I'll find out and I think it's 4 days in NYC, 4 days Vegas.

I've never been before whereas he's been a few times so it would be lovely to do a few things that's he's not done/ seen.

We like good food and cocktails without the smart dress code; walking with great views; comedy; live music; not big into serious theatre/ museums.

Not sure what else 🤔

OP posts:
Please
or

MissConductUS · 22/09/2021 16:32

Here's a gem, but fairly well known so you have to book a table months ahead of time, which you can do on their website:

www.unionsquarecafe.com/

You can't show up looking a mess, but it's not coats and ties for the men. The food is divine and the restaurant itself is lovely and in a very nice, central location. Go for a walk around Union Square Park before or after. There's some nice shopping in the area as well.

The Highline, obviously, for walking with great views. Go early, as it can get quite crowded in the afternoons.

Even if you're not normally a museum person, I still highly recommend the 9/11 museum and memorial site. The museum is brilliantly done, and reverant, not maudlin. Buy your tickets ahead of time on the website and you'll have a much shorter queue when you get there.

You might also like

www.intrepidmuseum.org/

as you get to tour an aircraft carrier and submarine. Lovely water views as well of course.

TimeOut New York is the indispensable guide to theater, nightlife and live entertainment.

www.timeout.com/newyork

Please
or

itsureis · 22/09/2021 17:48

Oo thank you - I'll show these to my DP.
I'm very excited !

OP posts:
Please
or

MissConductUS · 22/09/2021 18:28

I'm glad I could help. Feel free to PM me if you have a question and this thread has dropped off our MN radar.

We do love our UK tourists in NY, so you can expect a very warm welcome. One request - please follow local tipping customs in restaurants. The tip is an important part of the wage and not really optional unless the service was truly atrocious.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?