Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

France over Xmas

9 replies

strawberrysummer19 · 19/09/2021 18:26

We've decided to go to France for Xmas
We are going 23rd-27th we've booked a hotel so we won't feel too isolated compared to an apartment so hoping there are some Xmas celebrations

We are staying in le touquet but are yet to find somewhere to eat Xmas day - even our hotel said it's too early to book with them

We know there will be Xmas markets to visit but just hoping things are open

Wondered if anyone can help with things to do that will be open if anyone lives or has visited over Xmas

Thank you

Xx

OP posts:
Please
or

Molly499 · 21/09/2021 01:36

You need to make sure that the hotel will be doing a Xmas meal. The main event will be on the 24th, this is when Xmas is celebrated. Going out for Xmas is a pretty rare event, it is almost always celebrated at home. The 25th is a bit of a non day and everything will be shut as will the 26th.

I don’t want to rain on your parade but you need to really do your research for this holiday. Xmas in France is not the big event that it is here, the focus is on food and family. You need to make sure that the hotel is doing something, not sure what that might be if anything.

What are you hoping that it will be like? Might be able to help more if I understood your expectations. Do you have children, what ages?

Please
or

Molly499 · 21/09/2021 01:42

The 24th is a fun day, go to the food markets, might also be a Xmas market too. Could be a small ice skating rink in the town. Everything will close around 4pm. You could possibly book somewhere for that evening but after that you will need to eat in the hotel so make sure they have a good restaurant, everything else will close until at least the Monday.

Take plenty of books and maybe board games if you have children.

Please
or

notimagain · 21/09/2021 10:41

I don’t want to rain on your parade but you need to really do your research for this holiday. Xmas in France is not the big event that it is here, the focus is on food and family.

^^ This….

As Molly499 has said there might be lots going on on Christmas Eve but many places close early so people can travel/get home to family.

Christmas Day itself is a standalone single jour ferie (excuse the lack of accents - anyhow that’s a public holiday ) and then most/many people are back into work on the 26th…

Please
or

notimagain · 21/09/2021 10:44

Slight correction to the above in that I failed to NB that Christmas Day is on a Saturday…so the Sunday will be a normal Sunday with folks back at work on the Monday.

Please
or

snanagram · 21/09/2021 13:20

As others have said, Christmas in France is very, very different to the UK.

A late meal on Christmas Eve (and possibly midnight mass) is probably the main thing that happens then everything just goes back to normal. Unless you are in a very big city you aren't going to find ice rinks or festive light displays and most markets will start packing up at lunch-time on Christmas Eve.

The whole 24/7, Christmas starting weeks before and carrying on through to New Year just doesn't happen here and if you are after a short break filled with celebrations and sparkle then you might want to reconsider.

Boxing Day is a Sunday so most things will be closed anyway.
Similar to Christmas, Sundays in France are very much centred on family gatherings and you will struggle to find anything that is open.

Bank holidays in France don't get "carried over" as they do in the UK, if Christmas Day falls on a Saturday then it's just tough. Monday will be a normal working day.

I'm not being a Grinch, that's just the way it is.

Please
or

strawberrysummer19 · 21/09/2021 17:44

Thanks everyone.

Well I had a quick look at one website which said there is a Xmas market in letouquet along with an ice skating rink. So we thought on 23rd and 24th Xmas markets, ice skating and a nice meal.

We have a 10 yr old so just us three.

The hotel we are staying at is right on the beach so we thought a nice cold walk on the beach Xmas day and we have a swimming pool so was thinking a swim after.

The hotel just said they haven't released their menu yet but said it's open Xmas eve and Xmas day for food.

Board games / Wii / films was our plan.

We are taking presents for little one but as we have very little family and only spending it alone in our flat here we just thought it might be nice to get away. The hotel is gorgeous and we've spent a fair bit on it as we've upgraded the room.

So if it means eating in the hotel then that's ok with us but have since found out that Xmas celebrations are on 24th so thanks everyone xx

OP posts:
Please
or

Molly499 · 21/09/2021 21:54

Ok so it sounds like you can make it work. Supermarkets will close early on the 24th and will be a bit of a scrum so get some nice room treats on the 23rd, drinks and snacks etc. I would also consider taking a kettle and long life milk, tea, coffee etc. The hotel may be really quiet so this could work in your favour for use of lounges and pool, I don’t think the French would ever consider staying in a hotel at Xmas. You could search to see if there is a bowling alley that might open on the 26th, same for the mini golf, leisure facilities close on holidays mostly unlike here.

Montreuil is very close and has a nice walk on the old ramparts.

I hope you have a lovely break, if the French could see how Xmas was done in the UK they would assume that we were completely mad, much less commercial in France and perhaps a better balance.

Please
or

strawberrysummer19 · 21/09/2021 21:59

@Molly499 yeah I think so, considering if we were staying home it would be much the same as in we wouldn't be going out Xmas day or Boxing Day so I think if we make most of 23rd and 24th and we will visit city Europe to get some yummies for the room hoping we can make it work.

Thanks for the idea, we shall add it in the itinerary

Here is our room - as I say we did go overboard but how lovely waking up here on Xmas day x

France over Xmas
OP posts:
Please
or

snanagram · 22/09/2021 10:40

That looks bloody lovely OP.

Glad that there are some activities going on. Hope you have a lovely Christmas.

We are going to the UK so very much the opposite experience for us. I may need to lie down in a darkened room Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?