Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

USA travel

20 replies

PossiblyPFB · 13/09/2021 18:29

Hi everyone.

Apologies if this has been done before.

We are trawling the internet trying to work out if our 8 year old will need to quarantine upon arrival in the USA. DH and I are both fully vaccinated and we have citizenship so we can travel.

Just can find nothing about unvaccinated children over the age of 2 … we won’t go if she has to quarantine..!

Any help or guidance very much appreciated! Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

Remmy123 · 13/09/2021 20:37

I'm also on in the internet trying to work out if you can travel from U.K. to the US (not a citizen)

It is on the amber list do your kids do
Not have to quarantine

Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 13/09/2021 21:05

President Biden has not lifted the travel ban for either UK or European citizens for travel to the US. There is still no indication as to when this is going to be lifted.

The fact it’s on the UKs amber list counts for nothing really due to their own rules of admittance.

Please
or

Remmy123 · 13/09/2021 22:10

Why it on the amber list then!!! How misleading 😬

Please
or

GreySweater · 13/09/2021 22:17

I have just cancelled our October flights to USA and asked for a BA voucher (again!). I think it's very unlikely air travel will be open by October. However we aren't US citizens like OP.
OP have you been double jabbed and is it a vaccine recognised by US medical authorities ie not the AZ jab? That was another issue for us... Only have AZ vaccine which hasn't been approved by US yet.
No idea about quarantine (sorry - not very helpful!). Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Please
or

fairlygoodmother · 13/09/2021 22:30

I live in the US and travelled here from the UK recently. There's no quarantine requirement. I think the information you want is here:
www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

To board the flight you will all need a negative covid test, a rapid/antigen test is okay.
There are different recommendations for unvaccinated people but no national quarantine requirements.
There may be different rules at state level so you should check for whichever state(s) you're going to as well.

Please
or

crispinglovershighkick · 13/09/2021 22:37

I went to NJ end of July and there was no post-flight testing or quarantine required, which I didn't find out for a couple of days despite diligent googling. I suspect it may vary from state to state. There was a form to fill out for NY Port Authority (flew into JFK) giving contact details but we weren't contacted. It was all very confusing tbh, and hard to find out the relevant details.

Please
or

crispinglovershighkick · 13/09/2021 22:38

Sorry, x post!

Please
or

BritWifeInUSA · 14/09/2021 01:18

It depends on the stars you are traveling to. Each state sets their own quarantine requirements. Some want you to quarantine, some don’t.

If you are both citizens then is your child also not a citizen? Or did you not meet the presence requirement for the CRBA?

Please
or

SeaToSki · 14/09/2021 01:23

Do you have a US passport for your DC? Or at least a US birth certificate? If you dont, its going to be difficult to be allowed on a plane. I am assuming you and DH both have in date US passports or green cards.

Past that, there isnt any quarantine requirement for anyone when arriving. You have to test before you leave the UK (and the 2 yr old as well) but beyond that there is nothing (unless you are going to Hawaii)

travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information1.html

Please
or

PossiblyPFB · 14/09/2021 06:12

DC has a US passport for those asking. We meet citizenship travel criteria.

@fairlygoodmother thanks for the link.

Copying pertinent bit here from unvaccinated guidance;

After you travel:
Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel AND stay home and self-quarantine for a full 7 days after travel.
Even if you test negative, stay home and self-quarantine for the full 7 days.
If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected.
If you don’t get tested, stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days after travel.
Avoid being around people who are at increased risk for severe illness for 14 days, whether you get tested or not.
Self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms; isolate and get tested if you develop symptoms.
Follow all state and local recommendations or requirements.

This looks to me that she is expected to quarantine for 7 days ? Or do people just ignore as it’s not enforced??

…The state is in the top 10 nationwide for covid cases currently & one parent is unvaccinated (by choice) Hmm - thinking it’s not a good overall idea.

OP posts:
Please
or

PossiblyPFB · 14/09/2021 06:20

We DO have AZ @GreySweater - had not realised it isn’t approved/ doesn’t count there!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 14/09/2021 06:35

AZ vaccine will likely not go on to the CDC approved list until the end of the year (paperwork issues).

Please
or

P0ntiacBandit · 14/09/2021 07:36

@PossiblyPFB

DC has a US passport for those asking. We meet citizenship travel criteria.

*@fairlygoodmother* thanks for the link.

Copying pertinent bit here from unvaccinated guidance;

After you travel:
Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel AND stay home and self-quarantine for a full 7 days after travel.
__Even if you test negative, stay home and self-quarantine for the full 7 days.__
If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected.
If you don’t get tested, stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days after travel.
Avoid being around people who are at increased risk for severe illness for 14 days, whether you get tested or not.
Self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms; isolate and get tested if you develop symptoms.
Follow all state and local recommendations or requirements.

This looks to me that she is expected to quarantine for 7 days ? Or do people just ignore as it’s not enforced??

…The state is in the top 10 nationwide for covid cases currently & one parent is unvaccinated (by choice) Hmm - thinking it’s not a good overall idea.

My friend went back home to Seattle recently and she said there was no instructions as such to self quarantine but they did it as a family anyway because they didn't want to risk their elderly parents.
Please
or

notimagain · 14/09/2021 08:15

@Remmy123

Why it on the amber list then!!! How misleading 😬

Assuming thats still a ? of sorts (forgive me if it is not) the reason is that the UK colour code is for arrivals into the UK only from anywhere in the world. The States needs to be on that list somewhere so travellers entering the UK from the States know what to do but going the other way you need to be aware of the US rules…

FWIW a task force was set up in the summer to examine the whole issue of UK>US travel but as was suspected when it was announced it looks like the can has been kicked down the road.

The rules appear to be quite asymmetric ATM, and there’s a suspicion some are more than happy for it to stay that way for as long as possible.
Please
or

BackToWhereItAllBegan · 14/09/2021 19:29

I'm a US citizen, I recently traveled internationally and all that was needed to fly back into the US was a negative covid test and a self certified health form (available on the airlines website). Assuming you are all traveling on a US passport then I wouldn't expect any further requirements or quarantining.

Please
or

BackToWhereItAllBegan · 14/09/2021 19:34

Should also add, although there aren't any vaccine requirements for US citizens entering the country (which can change at any minute!!), lots of venues in the US have their own entry requirements now.
If you had the AZ vaccine then I doubt they would accept that for entry so you would need to show a recent (last 72 hours) negative test for many restaurants, theaters, sporting events, theme parks depending on your plans while in the US.

Please
or

lljkk · 14/09/2021 19:38

There is a facebook group for American parents in UK... I dunno anything for definite but those parents travel back a lot and don't mention quarantine at all. Seems to be non-essential.

Please
or

SeaToSki · 15/09/2021 11:01

That quote you posted is from the CDC web site. Its advice on best practice, not a regulation. For regulations you have to look for federal mandates or State mandates on the State that you are landing in.

The US recognizes all FDA approved vaccines and WHO ones. AZ is WHO approved

Please
or

PossiblyPFB · 15/09/2021 18:49

It doesn’t look like the state we visit has any quarantine restrictions.

Just feeling like it’s not a good idea in the round now though!

OP posts:
Please
or

irregularegular · 15/09/2021 18:55

Why it on the amber list then!!! How misleading

There are many countries on the UK green/amber list which we cannot travel to at all, or only with strong restrictions. You always have to check both directions. You'd expect that really. If they have a low enough rate that we are happy people to come back from there, they probably won't want us!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?