Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

France easy drive

5 replies

whenwillthemadnessend · 29/08/2021 15:55

Can anyone recommend a nice part of north France. Easy drive from london. Nice beaches. Maybe some surf Not over busy but some life small town etc.

Not a french guru myself and want to avoid planes next year (not covid related).

OP posts:
Please
or

catmack16 · 29/08/2021 17:33

Normandy might be suitable though not sure on surfing but plenty of good beaches, lots to do (Bayeux Tapestry, D-Day, castles etc) and different ferry options or about 3 hours from the Eurotunnel.

Please
or

Dillydollydingdong · 29/08/2021 17:40

I agree Normandy is lovely but not what I would class as an easy drive from London. Unless you go Portsmouth to Cherbourg or Caen, then Barfleur is nice, plus Bayeux, with Mont st Michel not too far away. The beaches down the west side of the Cherbourg peninsular are spectacular.

Please
or

catmack16 · 29/08/2021 17:46

French autoroutes are much easier than U.K. motorways. From Eurotunnel in Calais it is just over 3 hours to Caen. I would recommend getting the tag for the tolls so you don't have to stop and pay at each station. You can set it up online and get the tag posted to you with payments made by direct debit after usage.

Please
or

myrtilles · 29/08/2021 18:10

I would get a Brittany ferries package with accommodation as then the ferry will be more reasonably priced and it will count as a package holiday. Driving in France is fine but the motorways can be busy on peak summer Saturdays.

Please
or
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?