Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

PCR test for travelling abroad (from UK)

18 replies

crochetandcoffeebreaks · 25/08/2021 19:54

For those that have been abroad, which company did you opt for for the PCR test and how long did it take to receive the results etc? If I'm travelling on the 30th, do I need to have taken the test and sent it off within the 72 hour period? Sorry if this topic has been exhausted but I'm one of those people where things go wrong at every turn so having this spelt out for me would be great 😂 TIA.

OP posts:
Please
or

JoshLymanIsHotterThanSam · 27/08/2021 14:00

I used express testing at Birmingham airport. Test was done at 7.20pm, results arrived about 1.00pm next day.

Please
or

JoshLymanIsHotterThanSam · 27/08/2021 14:01

We did an in person as we flew on the Sunday and didnt want to risk postal delays.

So for the Flight at 3pm Sunday the 72 hours meant we did the test any time after 3pm on the Thursday.

Please
or

JoshLymanIsHotterThanSam · 27/08/2021 14:02

Oh and if it’s the 30th of this month-don’t forget to factor in that that’s a bank holiday.

Please
or

disconnecteddrifter · 27/08/2021 14:08

C19 testing. Next day delivery. Results within 2 hrs but guaranteed before 12hrs. Cheap

Please
or

SoupDragon · 27/08/2021 14:15

We used ExpressTest and had the results in 24 hours.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 27/08/2021 14:16

If I'm travelling on the 30th, do I need to have taken the test and sent it off within the 72 hour period?

Yes.

Please
or

mackers1 · 27/08/2021 16:07

Has anyone experienced a test result not being returned in time by Chronomics? What a nightmare- can't even contact them.

Please
or

crochetandcoffeebreaks · 27/08/2021 18:28

Thanks guys! I posted this on the corona virus board as well but wasn't sure which one would get more traffic. I'm travelling on the 30th of next month and have booked the test at a Randox walk in clinic on the 27th - honestly too much at stake to do it myself and send it off Sad flight is at 3.45pm so booked the test for 4pm. I know Express Test is a popular one too but just in terms of walk in, the Randox one is closest to me.

@mackers1 that's awful Shock when is your flight? No contact is what's making me nervous.

OP posts:
Please
or

mackers1 · 27/08/2021 19:22

Oh, the flight was early this morning. We received the results at 4pm this afternoon. We did everything as we should timing wise. Started getting nervous yesterday so tried to contact them to no avail- just an automated standard message once, even though we contacted them numerous times. We have had to cancel the holiday as we couldn't travel. Insurance doesn't cover and airline couldn't help either. Fuming.

Please
or

NCTDN · 27/08/2021 19:23

I was just going to start a thread asking this. How much are they costing?

Please
or

EileenGC · 27/08/2021 19:30

@mackers1 that is so so annoying. Can you get some of the accommodation back at least?

I’ve used NWP and they’ve been good so far, £40 a piece. Results within 25/26h of dropping tests off at the postbox. Using them again next week and will report back if anything has changed.

For those who are yet to travel, I wouldn’t do a postal test for pre-departure. Walk in or express option at the airport, so they can kind of guarantee you’ll have the result on time.

Too many postal tests ‘get lost’ and the companies don’t accept responsibility, get back to you 2 days later or keep putting the blame on Royal Mail, their processing department, the IT system… it’s a mess, and an expensive one at that. Whoever set it up must be making good amounts of money from all this circus.

Please
or

crochetandcoffeebreaks · 27/08/2021 19:41

I'm really gutted for you @mackers1 Sad that's so unfair when you followed everything to a T. I wouldn't be refunded for mine either if my results come back positive, so I'm stripping all contact with anyone outside of this house back for the next month and hoping for the best.
@NCTDN I've booked mine with Randox health centre, it's £60 for a walk in and to receive the results by 11.59pm the following night. I agree with @eileenGC that it's better to go for a walk in option if you can for pre departure, at least you know the test is done there and then and no faff with the post.

How have you all found booking PCR tests abroad for the return flight back to UK?

OP posts:
Please
or

EileenGC · 27/08/2021 19:51

As far as I know the return tests can also be antigen not just PCR - and these take 15-20 mins to come back.

Everywhere I’ve been so far, it has been really simple to book one. Countries like Spain, France, Italy, Greece - they’ll have walk in clinics or pharmacies that perform the test and issue the certificates. It’s also very easy to book an appointment and you can do the test 3 days or less before coming back, so plenty of time to go for another antigen if there’s an issue with the first for whatever reason.

Which country are you travelling to OP?

Please
or

Vargas · 27/08/2021 20:08

Where are you going? Use antigen tests if at all possible. We used Chronomics and they were LFTs that we just had to photograph to get certificates. No waiting for results via post.

So sorry to hear about people missing their holidays, that's so gutting! AngrySad

Please
or

crochetandcoffeebreaks · 27/08/2021 20:18

I wanted to avoid mentioning where I'm going in case I get it in the neck 😂 I'm going to a country in South Asia that is unfortunately on the red list but for emergency family matters and don't intend to come back in a rush - preferably once it's safe to do so with the country on at least the amber list, even if I am double vaxxed. I know they do PCRs for those from abroad ar private hospitals so that should work for me, but it's good to know that antigens are accepted on return :)

OP posts:
Please
or

crochetandcoffeebreaks · 27/08/2021 20:18

*at private hospitals

OP posts:
Please
or

Augtwo · 27/08/2021 22:11

F

Please
or

BunsyGirl · 28/08/2021 06:47

Randox same day service at Stansted airport - came back in less than three hours. They process the test on site and the staff carrying out the tests were fab with my DCs. £70 per test. Did it two days before we travelled meaning that we could pack after getting the negative results and had time to cancel the holiday if we’d have got a positive result - was fully canceable on 24 hours notice.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?