Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Fast track for babies first passports

11 replies

Lostmyway86 · 24/08/2021 08:16

Hi all. DH and I have decided we'd like a late September break before I go back to work from maternity leave. We have two DD's 9 months and 26 months. Looks like it's possible to get a fast track passport but has anyone done this for their children's first passport? From what I can gather I need to get some forms from the post office, fill out a form on gov.uk then go for an appointment in London which is quite far from me. Will the babies need to come to the appointment too? Is it a straightforward enough process? And how the heck to I get a baby and toddler to pose for a passport photo?!

OP posts:
Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/08/2021 08:24

I don't think you can fast track a child's first passport.
I got DD's first passport a few months ago and it was pretty quick.

1. Took her to a local photo shop, they took her passport photo and uploaded it directly, gave me a code (as well as some printed photos) which I used when completing the online application.

2. Completed application online
3. Got friend to confirm her identity (it has to be someone with a job on the list, and choose someone efficient, my friend did it straight away)
4. Sent off her birth certificate, I sent it first class signed for.
Please
or

Lostmyway86 · 24/08/2021 08:37

Thank you, it says on the gov.uk sight that the 1 week fast track service can be used to apply for a first child passport...I think it's just a first adult passport you can't use it for.

OP posts:
Please
or

GoingBacktoSchool123 · 24/08/2021 08:41

It's virtually impossible to book an appointment at the Passport Office at the moment and there is apparently a huge backlog in issuing passports so I would not book a holiday until you get the passports back.

Please
or

LakeShoreD · 24/08/2021 08:43

You can do the 1 week service for a first child passport. Lay baby down on a white sheet to take the photo. The standards aren’t as strict as for adult ones so it shouldn’t be too hard. Baby will need to attend the appointment since it’s their passport.

Please
or

LeeHarper5 · 24/08/2021 09:01

A child application has to be with the passport office for 5 days before it’s worked on. This allows all the necessary checks on the child, countersignatory and parents to be carried out. You could use the 1 week service but you need to apply using a paper form and book an appointment. Also the earliest appointments are now into September and that’s at the Belfast office. Definitely do not book until you have the passport in your hand.

Please
or

Lostmyway86 · 24/08/2021 09:06

Thanks all, no I defo won't book holiday until the passports are in my hand.

Looks like I can get an appointment Friday 10 Sept, then should take a week so with me hopefully by Friday 17th...aiming to go away Monday 27th. All very tight but going to give it a go, if we don't end up going away it's no big loss.

OP posts:
Please
or

Sunshinebrunshine · 24/08/2021 09:19

The passport office have a helpline chat I used 1 month ago which was very helpful. Found first thing in the morning is easiest to get in.

Please
or

Sunshinebrunshine · 24/08/2021 09:20

Also received their passport in 3 weeks. So not that bad. Could do photo and recommender all online

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/08/2021 10:11

Tbh I think you should just do a regular application now, it's unlikely to take as long as waiting for an appointment.

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/08/2021 10:17

According to this website the current average waiting time for a child's first passport is 23.66 days (this will include online and postal applications, online is quicker)
www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/

Please
or

RemoteRemote · 29/09/2021 17:11

Anyone looking for a fast track appointment at the London passport office, they've just added loads of slots for next Monday (4th Oct '21).

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?