Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Scotland - help!

5 replies

ReviewingTheSituation · 16/08/2021 11:53

DH and I have 2 weeks off in September. We would usually go abroad, but I don't want the stress of worrying about testing etc (we always travel around, don't stay in resort hotels etc, so more likely to come into contact with a wider range of people), so we're going to stay in the UK.

Seeing as we have a long time, I feel we should go a long way away (we're in the midlands, so most places are reachable for a week's holiday), which takes me to Scotland. But Scotland is vast and I can't decide where to go.

We have been to EDI and GLA lots of times, so no desire/need to visit them (although we have friends in GLA so if that made sense from an itinerary point of view, we might call in).
We have spent time on Arran, around Loch Lomond, and - many years ago - a week on Skye. We also had a couple of days in the borders (Melrose area), which we enjoyed.

I'm part minded to go back to Skye, but also tempted by the area/coast around Inverness. And then I've heard good things about the east coast too.

We will probably base ourselves in 2 (or max 3) different places, but don't really know where to start.

Any recommendations for nice places to go/must sees etc would be very welcome.

We like being outdoors, but we're not 'out in all weathers at any cost' people (ie - we will happily go up a mountain, but wouldn't set off in pouring rain). An element of coast is a must for me (ideally with lovely beaches to walk on/near/around). And given that the weather could be questionable, nice towns/villages to visit too - the chances of being able to spend every day out in the countryside are slim!

What's my dream itinerary...?

OP posts:
Please
or

PineappleWilson · 16/08/2021 11:59

We did Galloway this summer. Enough towns to have things to do - Galloway, Newton Stewart, Kirkcudbright etc. plus coastal too. Take midge repellant for the forests but I'd highly recommend it. You can then head up the coast past Stranraer up towards Glasgow or further north

Please
or

haggisaggis · 16/08/2021 12:00

North west coast around Lochinver is absolutely stunning. Main issue there's not much to do on a rainy day.
Or the area around Plockton - access to Skye and Torridon.
But if you're not super outdoorsy then the East Neuk of Fife gives you access to beautiful coastal villages, but Edinburgh and Dundee are not too far away if the weather is awful.

Please
or

MrsVeryTired · 16/08/2021 12:11

Inverness is good, you can get to very diverse places, Dornoch (lovely beach) is an hour away and Ullapool just over an hour. Inverness also v cosmopolitan these days. Cromarty on the Black Isle (nr Inverness) is a lovely little place, art gallery and v scenic views across the firth. Aviemore also only 30 mins from Inverness with Wildlife Park and amazing views.

Please
or

ReviewingTheSituation · 16/08/2021 17:38

Having done a bit of googling at lunchtime, I'm pondering a week in the Dumfries/Galloway area (@PineappleWilson - if you've got any hints about nice places to stay, or to avoid, that would be good to know), then head to Glasgow to see our friends, then over to the coast by Fife.

More googling needed, but progress being made!

OP posts:
Please
or

Blueberrycreampie · 16/08/2021 17:40

Have you thought about Mull? Cross from Oban which is very nice. Lots of lovely scenery, Tobermory is great to wander round, some super beaches and you can go to Iona and Staffa from there. I spent a week there many years ago and would love to return.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?