Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Sleeping arrangements

9 replies

sparklecrazy · 08/08/2021 08:40

We're looking into taking our 5 year old twins on holiday abroad next year. And we haven't taken them on holiday yet so first time. My question is what's usual for sleeping arrangements with kids that age? When I look at the room options it says a king size bed (or 2 singles) plus a sofa bed in lounge. Does this mean they're expected to share a bed? This I can't imagine would work at all, they've never shared a bed before and I would expect carnage all night! Confused Should I be looking at selecting 2 rooms? It gives the option of 1 adult and 1 child in 2 rooms. If they have to share then so be it we'll make the best of it but what's normal please?

OP posts:
Please
or

DinosaurDiana · 08/08/2021 08:43

Yes, they’d share the sofa bed.
Can you get an apartment with two bedrooms, or a hotel that has interconnecting rooms ?

Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 08/08/2021 08:45

Check out the hotel websites or TripAdvisor. One bedroom apartments normally have either a fold out sofa bed (double bed size) or two flat sofas which bedding is added to or a flat sofa with a trundle bed underneath. If anyone is best suited to sharing a bed surely it's five year old twins! I have to be more careful now I have a teen to make sure the bed is big enough, at 5 I wouldn't think any of these are unsuitable.

Please
or

DinosaurDiana · 08/08/2021 08:46

The sofa bed at the last hotel I went to was awful, so I complained and they brought a single bed no problem.
Another place I went to had a DD and a DS sharing a double bed, so they put a single in so they didn’t have to share.
Might be worth emailing the hotels to ask.

Please
or

Noshowwithoutpunch · 08/08/2021 08:49

Contact hotel directly and ask for a room large enough to accommodate a put up camp style bed? So then you've got the king/sofa bed plus the single bed.
I'm sure you can request this and choose another hotel if the rooms aren't large enough for them to be allowed to do it.
I'd make sure they send proof that they've granted this request as you don't want to get there and they say they can't do it.
Alternatively look for hotel with a family suite?

Please
or

Noshowwithoutpunch · 08/08/2021 08:50

If you book through a travel agent they will call the hotel and sort this for you.
Did for us.

Please
or

Mindymomo · 08/08/2021 09:10

When ours were younger we booked aparthotels, these sometimes have 2 bedrooms, or we got interconnected rooms, so you have a door dividing each room. We also had a duplex room in Cyprus where the double bedroom was downstairs and upstairs had twin beds and a bathroom.

Please
or

Cazziebo · 08/08/2021 09:11

The ideal is the family rooms where they have bunk beds in an alcove.

Please
or

sparklecrazy · 08/08/2021 09:19

Ah okay, thanks everyone, that's really helpful. Will be worth choosing the hotel and making direct contact with them then I think.

OP posts:
Please
or

MrsBertBibby · 08/08/2021 10:00

We generally did 2 room apartments, but we always went self catering rather than hotels. Then we had a double, and 3 singles for the kids.

Where are you thinking of going?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?