Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where are you going this October half term

18 replies

MinnieMountain · 06/08/2021 09:04

I’ve managed to get October half term off for a change. DH and I would love to take our 7yo somewhere but I’m at a loss as to where.

• We all prefer active holidays, rather than just lounging on the beach.
  • We don’t have a car but we’re good at working out train/taxi routes.
OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 06/08/2021 09:23

UK or elsewhere? If the UK, have you been to The Lake District? It has an excellent bus service allowing walkers to walk a trail and not have to return to their starting point. It's so lovely too.

Please
or

MinnieMountain · 06/08/2021 09:28

Either @zafferana Probably not the Lake District though- we already have a holiday booked there for MIL’s birthday next spring.

OP posts:
Please
or

Abraxan · 06/08/2021 09:41

Well, I'm supposed to be going to Florida for a week of theme parks but I'm not convinced it'll happen - again!

No idea where we will end up. Hopefully somewhere sunny and hot.

Please
or

MinnieMountain · 06/08/2021 16:33

Maybe we’ll try Munich. We’d all like to go again. It’s not knowing whether or not Germany will allow British people in…

OP posts:
Please
or

CommanderBurnham · 10/08/2021 21:53

What's Iceland like in October?

Please
or

yoshiblue · 11/08/2021 08:01

Take him to Billund in Denmark and visit Lego House and Legoland?

Please
or

Darkchocolateandcoffee · 11/08/2021 08:21

Billing is total and utter heaven for 7 yr old boys. Great idea.

Please
or

MinnieMountain · 11/08/2021 21:46

Dammit! Legoland would love been perfect but I’ve booked Butlins now. Will have to go next year.

OP posts:
Please
or

Cuppaand2biscuits · 29/08/2021 19:38

Im looking to book Billund for next year so just searched in mumsnet and found this thread. Does anyone have any tips on when to visit or where to stay?

Please
or

FakingMemories · 30/08/2021 01:05

We originally planned for Costa Rica but too much hassle so we are going to California instead. I can’t be bothered with quarantining and so on.

Please
or

pastaparadise · 30/08/2021 01:14

Jumping on the thread as also looking for ideas. Is there anywhere in Europe apart from. Canaries that is fairly certain of dry warmish weather?? Create or Rhodes?

Please
or

Barkingdog · 30/08/2021 01:17

@FakingMemories Are you a US citizen or have permanent residency? I'm not sure I feel confident enough to book a trip to the US for October.

Please
or

Usernamenotavailabletryanother · 30/08/2021 01:22

DH just booked a surprise trip to Berlin for October half term- looks like kids (well, one at least) allowed in but will have to isolate for the duration of the trip.

So I’d say, probably not Munich.

Please
or

FakingMemories · 30/08/2021 01:55

[quote Barkingdog]@FakingMemories Are you a US citizen or have permanent residency? I'm not sure I feel confident enough to book a trip to the US for October. [/quote]
We are US citizens

Please
or

Gemma2019 · 30/08/2021 02:47

@Cuppaand2biscuits

Im looking to book Billund for next year so just searched in mumsnet and found this thread. Does anyone have any tips on when to visit or where to stay?

@Cuppaand2biscuits We always stay at Lailandia in Billund. It's right next door to Legoland and we get the free Legoland shuttle bus to and from Billund Airport. Legoland tickets are quite expensive but you can get half price tickets if you go through www.groupon.de and Google translate the page . There is Givskud Zoo and plenty of other things to do in the area. The last two weeks of August are usually fairly quiet as the Danish kids are already back at school.
Please
or

Themeparklover · 30/08/2021 02:59

I am not going anywhere but my family who live up north are visiting me in london and we are going round a few things here having dinner ect, I am taking them to pizza union at kingsx as it is an affordable hidden gem

Please
or

Gemma2019 · 30/08/2021 03:01

Meant to say I normally book directly through the Lalandia website www.lalandia.dk/en as you can order your bedding in advance and don't have to queue at reception for bedding and keys when you arrive.

We did stay at the Legoland hotel once but it wasn't great and really overpriced and then ended up paying £120 to get into Lalandia water park.

Please
or

sanityisamyth · 30/08/2021 03:04

Nothing planned as I haven't got my timetable yet and we still have lectures in October half term. Hoping I can book something cheap when I know what I'm doing!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?