Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Disneyland Paris with an 18 month old

49 replies

Mommabear20 · 04/08/2021 13:42

DH and I are planning a trip to Disneyland Paris next year, our DC will be 3 & 18 months. While we've been before, we've never been with kids.
Any advice on going with such young kids? Would you recommend it or not?

OP posts:
Please
or

titchy · 04/08/2021 13:46

No. Unless you and dh love Disney or it's somewhere you'd go every year, there's no point. Kids won't remember it. It would be no more exciting at this age than a day at Paultons Park or whatever theme park is good for their age. Wait till they're both school age.

Please
or

Augtwo · 04/08/2021 14:55

I took my DS when he was 4. I can't understand people taking babies personally. There's a lot walking and quing and to be honest it was nice to say we have done DLP but I would not do it again.

Please
or

NuffSaidSam · 04/08/2021 14:57

No, wait till they're quite a bit older.

Go to Peppa Pig land for a day/weekend if you want that sort of thing. Or Chessington.

Disneyland when they're 7 and 8.5 or something.

Please
or

NatalieH2220 · 04/08/2021 14:58

Agree with others, I would wait until they are older so they can appreciate it more.

Please
or

Tablow · 04/08/2021 15:01

If it's for the kid then no, but we went when my DD was 14 months and it was for us, and it was great! The only weird thing is that they require children to wear shoes so if your DC aren't walking yet then make sure they have some anyway.

Please
or

FuckingFlumps · 04/08/2021 15:02

My DS is currently 19 months. I can't imagine he would actually get much out of a trip to disneyland Paris. He would probably be bored to tears with all the queuing and want to walk everywhere at 0.01 miles per hour so we wouldn't actually see much.

It would be totally wasted on him and I would imagine your 3 year old wouldn't get chance to actually enjoy the trip unless your DH ditched you and him to go off with the 3 year old.

Please
or

SunSeaSurfGin · 04/08/2021 15:04

I went when I was 4. Realise that was over 25 years ago now and things might have changed. But a lot of it went over my head and I can't remember much of any of it. I'd wait until the kids are more like 8&6 ish

Please
or

Goneback2school · 04/08/2021 15:11

I went to disney World in Orlando when my younger two were 3.5 and 18 months. It was a brilliant holiday and the 18 month old had the best reaction to all the characters- had to be held back from skipping the queue to meet the princesses etc. Its a busy holiday but their is merit in taking any age there,

Please
or

00100001 · 04/08/2021 15:16

I'd wait until they were something like 7 and 6.

Please
or

Findahouse21 · 04/08/2021 15:33

We took dd at 4 and I wouldn't do any younger. They have to be able to understand the point of queueing and waiting and being told that while all the merchandise looks appealing, they can't have absolutely everything. They also need to hav le some stamina as can't take buggies in queues

Please
or

Abraxan · 04/08/2021 15:41

We took Dd for a day to DLP at 18 months and she had a lovely day.
She was so excited meeting some of the characters and loved the gentle rides.

Infact it was such fun we took her to WDW for a fortnight the next summer aged 2y4m - again, she loved it. She was tall enough for the first level rollercoasters and had a ball. The heat didn't bother her and neither did the queues.

She is now 19y and still loves Disney and all thee]me parks. We were supposed to be going to wdw again in October but it's likely to be put back. We have been to 4 different Disney locations. We've been to a Disney theme park soo many times now.

So, it depends if it's a one or off or not, and also if you/your partner will enjoy it.

It was good for us,

Please
or

BeingATwatItsABingThing · 04/08/2021 15:43

We took DD1 when she was 18m and we’ve booked to go again next year when DD2 will be 18m. We like Disney as well though.

Please
or

NuffSaidSam · 04/08/2021 15:49

I think whether the adults like Disney is key, because it's not that the kids won't have a nice time, just that they won't have a nicer time than they would at a significantly smaller/cheaper activity.

Whereas when they're older it is worth the time/money to go because they'll appreciate the scale/magic much more.

Please
or

Amandasummers · 04/08/2021 15:52

We took our 4 kids when the youngest was just over 1. Loved every minute and have no regrets!

Please
or

RevolvingPivot · 04/08/2021 15:55

I took my 2 and 4 years old for a week. It was actually our honeymoon. Never again!!!

Please
or

LizzieBet14 · 04/08/2021 16:08

I suppose it depends on if you plan on going again? We went when ours were 5 & 3 - we had a fabulous time but the youngest has no recollection. I wish we had waited a few years as we probably wont be able to afford another trip.

Please
or

mistermagpie · 04/08/2021 16:15

I wouldn't bother. We went as a family when my niece was 3 and she was still a bit too young, an 18 month old wouldn't remember it and would probably be a pain in the arse (I've got a 20 month old so I'm not just being mean!) because it's not a great age for anything really. My eldest is 6 and I think he would enjoy it but that's the minimum age I'd take a child really.

Please
or

Spiderseatpants · 04/08/2021 17:15

We went with an 18 month old who was ill over 20 years ago. We needed to buy nappies but Disneyland didnt sell such supplies

Please
or

Nohomemadecandles · 04/08/2021 17:18

No. You'll waste your money. You'll queue for ages and Paris isn't as great at entertaining from my experience- distinctly lacking in characters or fun when we went! And You'll begrudge the food prices on kids that won't eat much.

Please
or

GiantToadstool · 04/08/2021 17:21

Id go to cbeebies land or peppa pig world if you wanted to go somewhere. Both have adults rides too.

Please
or

GiantToadstool · 04/08/2021 17:21

Unless the adults are desperate to go and youre happy to "manage" the 18month old.

Please
or

Runkle · 04/08/2021 17:22

Dont wate your money with them being so young. Wait a few years. Even older kids/adults get tired and grumpy with everything going on there!

Please
or

Mixitupalot · 04/08/2021 17:26

We e been a few times, it’s lovely however I wouldn’t waste your money when they are so young and won’t get the best from it. Maybe wait a few more years.

Please
or

Mamamamasaurus · 04/08/2021 17:33

Too young at that age - can you remember ANYTHING from when you were that age? Waste of money

Please
or

yourestandingonmyneck · 04/08/2021 17:33

To all those that have been before, how does Euro Disney compare to the US ones? I was under the impression it was a much cheaper option, or is that purely due to the distance?

Just wondering as I see posters suggesting doing somewhere cheaper - I thought euro Disney was quite cheap, as in on a par with Chessington / Alton Towers etc and not in the same league as Orlando? Or have I got that wrong? Is it expensive as well?

I have been, as a teenager, with friends, but remember next to nothing. Although if it had been expensive I'm not sure I would have been able to afford it. Which is part of the reason I thought it was quite inexpensive?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?