Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

HOLIDAY FINELY!!!

30 replies

JDR97 · 02/08/2021 22:27

I've found a amazing deal for me, my baby daddy, step daughter and little boy(15 month) to go on holiday to crete in September it's to good to miss but then it hit me I've never took a baby away with me, like shit wtf do I need, do I take a car seat or WHAT

any TIPS and help would be amazing!!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

happinessischocolate · 02/08/2021 22:30

Does the baby have a passport?

Please
or

BritWifeInUSA · 03/08/2021 04:23

Can you take the step-daughter out of the country and into Greece without her other parent’s permission? Or do you have the permission already?

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 03/08/2021 07:29

I'd be very wary about committing to a holiday unless it has good cancellation terms.

My thoughts on the current situation is that they're going to bow to pressure from the industry to allow holidays to run to the end of August to get the bulk of the summer season before ramping up the restrictions to make it too difficult or expensive for most to travel.

Remember to factor in the cost of testing, cancellation insurance and possibility of quarantine in Greece or UK.

Please
or

CurryLover55 · 03/08/2021 07:43

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

JDR97 · 03/08/2021 07:47

@happinessischocolate yeah he's already got one

@BritWifeInUSA my step daughter lives with us, her mum doesn't see her for weeks sometimes months at a time probably wouldn't even know she's got tbh but yeah we have permission

@BarbaraofSeville I've looked in to the cancellation and the holiday covers that's so no problem what that

And tests it's only me and my boyfriend that need them and only when we're their £35 each if we take them from the uk and when we get back it's £48 each

OP posts:
Please
or

catinboots21 · 03/08/2021 07:55

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

CurryLover55 · 03/08/2021 07:59

catinboots21 well aren’t you a delight

Please
or

JDR97 · 03/08/2021 08:58

@catinboots21 second that!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Freshapples · 03/08/2021 09:11

@CurryLover55

Guessing you mean Finally OP

@CurryLover55 - having gone to a grammar school and top university I used to look down a bit on people who couldn't spell - until I met my lovely friend who, despite being really intelligent, compassionate and working in a responsible keyworker role, can't spell for toffee. She badly dyslexic and just can't see the errors she makes on paper.
Please
or

LittleBearPad · 03/08/2021 09:14

You need a car seat if you are hiring a car or plan to take taxis etc.

If you are simply taking a coach from the airport to the hotel then probably not as it won’t fit anyway so he’ll be fine in your lap.

And I’m sorry but baby daddy Hmm

Please
or

Geamhradh · 03/08/2021 09:23

@CurryLover55

catinboots21 well aren’t you a delight

At least she's not posting just to belittle people and show off some perceived linguistic superiority
Please
or

ZenNudist · 03/08/2021 09:27

Grin

Good one 👍

Please
or

JDR97 · 03/08/2021 09:30

@LittleBearPad I just call him that😂😂 we've been together 9 years not like we're just randomly going on holiday togther🤣🤣

I did think that, it was just so tempting to get a taxi it was the same price as the coach but a quart of the time

OP posts:
Please
or

LittleBearPad · 03/08/2021 09:52

The other option then is to see if the taxi can bring a car seat - they often can if you ask in advance. If it’s quicker and the same price it’s probably worth doing

Please
or

RainingZen · 03/08/2021 10:02

Oh that sounds really great OP!

I would NOT rely on a foreign taxi service turning up with a car seat, even if you book it and they promise faithfully. So if you want one, take it with you.

You might find a buggy handy in the airports, even if you don't want it at the resort. A cheap umbrella fold would be best, get one on FB market 2nd hand if you don't have one.

Other than that, my biggest recommendation is DO put some basic stuff in hand luggage like swimming costumes, change of underwear shorts and T shirt for everyone. We went through T5 once on our way to Spain and our luggage was not loaded on the plane due to a computer failure they loaded the plane EMPTY of all the hold luggage, all of it! Absolute chaos. We had nothing with us and it was a week before they delivered four cases to the local airport. Anyway I learned two things: you don't need to take as much stuff as you think you do, but you DO need the basics.

Please
or

CurryLover55 · 03/08/2021 10:29

Sorry - I’m not trying to belittle anyone. But the C word is horrible & unnecessary.
It could well have been predictive text anyway.

Please
or

MolyHolyGuacamole · 03/08/2021 10:30

@CurryLover55

Guessing you mean Finally OP

Here 🥇 do you feel good about yourself now?
Please
or

Geamhradh · 03/08/2021 10:31

@CurryLover55

Sorry - I’m not trying to belittle anyone. But the C word is horrible & unnecessary.
It could well have been predictive text anyway.

Then why highlight it?
What made you think "I'll post on the thread just to correct the OP" What part of that could possibly have been NOT to belittle someone?
Please
or

CurryLover55 · 03/08/2021 10:33

I give up - sorry for any offence.

Please
or

BikeRunSki · 03/08/2021 10:42

@JDR97 it will still be really hot in Crete in September, get your little boy an all in one UV sunsuit, or two, and a few hats. Take plenty of good sunscreen and nappies, and a few failsafe snacks. Give him a bottle, dummy or sweet to suck on takeoff to stop his ears popping. I hope you and your family have a lovely time x

Please
or

CurryLover55 · 03/08/2021 10:50

Just to say Crete is lovely - I would love to go back.

Please
or

Pissinthepottyplease · 03/08/2021 11:23

Make sure your insurance covers cost of isolating other there and new flight.
You will need GHIC cards if your EHIC cards have run out.
Sling is good for the airport
Buggy with big shade
At least 3 UV suits
Usual medicines
Suncream which you know they are not allergic too.
Nurofen sachet/teething liquid in your hand luggage
Spare clothes for both of you in hand luggage
Order nappies to collect from boots airside

Please
or

Dogsandbabies · 03/08/2021 12:28

We flew to Crete last summer with my then 14 month old and mainland Greece this summer. We took a car seat with us (it is included for free with most airlines) and rented a car. We never bother with medications, sun creams. We buy these things there.

There are two things to note. You need to fill in a Passenger locator form (1 for the whole family) before flying out. As long as you are both doubly vaccinated you don't need any tests but depending on her age your stepdaughter may need a negative test. On the way back you will need another PLF (the uk needs a separate one for each adult and then the kids added to one of yours) and a negative test - I suggest you book this in advance because slots book up super quick! And then a day 2 test. Which you will need to book before flying back as you need a code for the PLF.

Crete in September is perfect! Have a lovely time.

Please
or

CurryLover55 · 03/08/2021 13:09

My original post has been deleted! Are we not even allowed to comment on a spelling?! I could understand if I’d sworn! Mumsnet please come back to me & let me know why my post was deleted.

Please
or

Geamhradh · 03/08/2021 13:31

@CurryLover55

My original post has been deleted! Are we not even allowed to comment on a spelling?! I could understand if I’d sworn! Mumsnet please come back to me & let me know why my post was deleted.

I reported you. As I do every unpleasant comment from people who only post on a thread to correct someone's English. Thankfully, they are pretty on the ball about deleting.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?