Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Would you take a risk with this passport?

12 replies

fucksat50 · 02/08/2021 05:38

We have a holiday abroad booked and recently realised my passport could be a risk to travel with.

It does not expire until spring of next year but the issue date makes it more than 10 years old.

I cannot get an a fast track appointment to get a new passport in time before the holiday.

Would you travel with the existing passport or miss the holiday?

OP posts:
Please
or

Faultymain5 · 02/08/2021 05:42

How close is the holiday?

Please
or

Insert1x20p · 02/08/2021 05:42

It was issued when you got the unexpired time on your last passport added on (up to 8 months). Providing you have 6 months left to expiry it will be fine if it's more than 10 years old.

Please
or

Nothingoriginalhere · 02/08/2021 05:53

I would check with the country you are going to - Spain is 10 years from date of issue - other countries may be also. Lots of countries don’t accept the extra added on if a passport was renewed early.

Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 02/08/2021 05:55

I'm not sure I understand the question as you won't be allowed to travel if your passport isn't valid. Start by checking here if is valid for the place you are travelling to is in Europe (Validity varies depending on destination and you don't say where you are going). If it's not valid you won't be accepted onto the plane assuming air travel and will be turned away at the border if using another mode of transport.

check-passport-for-travel-to-europe.homeoffice.gov.uk/?cookies=true

Please
or

brizzlewizzle · 02/08/2021 06:06

Your passport is valid until the expiration date

Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 02/08/2021 06:12

This is the government's advice

Would you take a risk with this passport?
Please
or

meditrina · 02/08/2021 06:12

You need to check with the destination country/ies what their rules for validity are. Is it 6 months remaining, and do they count it 10 years from issue or all the way to expiry date even if that exceeds 10 years.

If it's not on government website for your destination, or FCDO travel advice, then best bet is to ring the consular section of the country's embassy/high commission in London

Please
or

fucksat50 · 02/08/2021 08:40

Thank you, I have emailed the embassy as I have 50% of the stated rules.

OP posts:
Please
or

starrynight19 · 03/08/2021 18:29

I have seen that people are being refused travel now if they had extra time after the ten years as it isn’t valid anymore. Hope you get it sorted.

Please
or

Hersetta427 · 04/08/2021 20:10

What date was your passport issue - that is now the more import date than its expiry date.

Please
or

Hersetta427 · 04/08/2021 20:11

@brizzlewizzle

Your passport is valid until the expiration date

Absolutely incorrect for eu travel.
Please
or

NordicBerry · 04/08/2021 20:19

My understanding is you need (for most countries) 6 months validity so passport issue date should be no more that 9 years 6 months ago. Check for the country you are travelling to though. And this is a recent thing so many people might not be aware.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?