Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Staffordshire - recommendations needed

12 replies

Marina · 11/10/2002 10:52

We may be taking a trip to Staffordshire before Christmas and are not familiar with the county at all.
We expect to be based in Burton or Lichfield (I get the impression the latter is smaller and maybe more picturesque?) or somewhere between.
I'd really appreciate any recommendations on places nearby that a 3 year old would enjoy, and also on somewhere nice to stay. We are normally stingy self-caterers but this time I want to push the boat out, so price is (sort of) no object. Hope someone has some good ideas, many thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

janh · 11/10/2002 14:45

Lichfield (cathedral etc) definitely nicer than Burton (Bass brewery!)

Other than that can't help....have you googled Staffs/Lichfield? Local council websites usually have lots of visitor information. (They want your money!)

Please
or

robinw · 11/10/2002 21:43

message withdrawn

Please
or

robinw · 11/10/2002 22:01

message withdrawn

Please
or

XAusted · 12/10/2002 13:25

Have a look at the Tourist Board's website. www.visitbritain.com/heart-of-england should cover Burton and Lichfield. I live near Burton and would say it's not the least bit picturesque! And sometimes smells of Marmite. (Sorry, Burton dwellers.) I would recommend the National Forest Visitor Centre at Rosliston if you do end up around Burton.

Please
or

XAusted · 12/10/2002 13:26

There's a good indoor play area (soft play, etc) in Burton called Smilee Faces.

Please
or

helenl · 12/10/2002 18:18

I lived in Lichfield for 20 odd years and now live in Tamworth. used to work at swinfen hall, would highly recommend it, also had my wedding reception there! If money is no object take a look at The Belfry too, makes a great base for the whole area. There are a couple of good childrens farms, Ash End in Middleton and Broomey Croft in Kingsbury.
Theres a smaller hotel but very nice opposite Drayton Manor, the Drayton Court Hotel, lots of lovely canal walks round there too.
Can't think of anything esle at the mo but I have to go to the Information centre on Monday to buy some tickets, would be happy to pick up some lit for you and send on. You can email me at work email addy [email protected] hth helen

Please
or

helenl · 12/10/2002 18:20

RobinW whereabouts are you from? You sound very local to me, I'm in Fazeley

Please
or

helenl · 12/10/2002 18:22

RobinW whereabouts are you from? You sound very local to me, I'm in Fazeley

Please
or

robinw · 12/10/2002 18:29

message withdrawn

Please
or

JulieF · 12/10/2002 19:58

Try logging onto www.netmums.com/eaststaffordshire. This is a local website produced by a local mum and has a whats on and places to go section.

Please
or

janh · 15/10/2002 13:11

helenl, I used to visit Tamworth every summer as a child in the 50s - my grandparents lived there (Salters Lane, opposite the High School). As we lived in a v boring London suburb I always thought Tamworth was brilliant, we could play in the High School grounds, there was a bridge over the railway just down the road and you could stand on it and get swamped in steam, the Castle and Grounds were a real treat and Drayton Manor (not a theme park then) absolute heaven...

Still have relatives in the vicinity, an aunt in one of the villages off the Ashby road and a cousin actually in Ashby - we go to Tamworth sometimes even now but it's quite a bit bigger!

Please
or

Marina · 15/10/2002 20:09

Thanks ever so much for the information, everyone. We are going to investigate both Swinfen Hall and Drayton Court, and the other suggestions for activities are all welcome too. Sorry I did not catch up with you in time to take advantage of your kind offer, Helen...forgot to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the discussion boards yesterday, duh.
I am ashamed to say I have never heard of Drayton Manor but it is clearly a major attraction. Shame it will quite probably be closed when we are visiting.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?