Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Multi-gen holiday in guesthouse - Asking for trouble?

7 replies

PutAStopperInTheBellingham · 29/07/2021 18:21

So, a plan is in progress to take little people and outlaws away with us. A week in a city guesthouse

Q1. Is this the not so early onset of an addled brain?
Q2. It'll be great, if things are in place at the guesthouse?
Q3, What fresh hell is this?

Who has this not/worked for?

OP posts:
Please
or

ArabellaPilkington · 30/07/2021 06:28

It depends what your in-laws are like.

We went once with my parents to France when my eldest was 18 months and it was hideous.

My dad, God rest his soul, is a massive baby and didn't like all the attention being on DS!

If your in laws are independent people and/or willing to help then great, but if they are needy in any way it's a no.

Please
or

Henlie · 30/07/2021 06:59

When you say guesthouse, is this a B&B? So presume breakfast will be prepared for you daily, and beds made etc? And you have your own rooms/bathrooms? You should be fine.

IMO, it starts getting difficult when you’re self catering in villas/house etc as the split of chores (shopping/cooking, tidying etc) can sometimes be problematic(!) These holidays are often responsible for big family rifts 😅.

Please
or

rookiemere · 30/07/2021 08:18

I think a B&B will be a lot more doable than a house. At least you get to retreat to your own spaces and breakfast is cooked for you !
A week is quite long time - is there a possibility of going for a few days instead?

Please
or

Skiptheheartsandflowers · 30/07/2021 08:22

Where will you all gather to spend time together at the guest house? Will the in laws come and sit in your room because it'll be the bigger one? I am assuming you imagine you'll be out and about a lot but just think about how you'll manage the guest house time. I'd probably agree with making it a shorter break rather than a week.

Please
or

Mindymomo · 30/07/2021 08:41

We started going on holidays with my inlaws when DS was 1 year old. We booked a cottage in Wales for a week. We also took Aunt as well with her dog. We had a great time, the cottage was a bit 1960’s (this was in 1993). We all muddled in, breakfast was the only meal we had at the house. It takes some organising, but everyone was happy to go along with what we had planned. We either had lunch out or dinner. The dog was the biggest problem, finding places to go where she was allowed. We did end up at a local pub, sitting outside taking turns looking after dog and baby.

We had many holidays with them after, Florida and Cyprus, Portugal and Menorca. Our last 2 holidays with FIL was on cruises, again happy times. My 2 DS’s will always have these memories of their grandparents and great Aunt (now all deceased).

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 30/07/2021 08:46

Depends on how well everyone gets on with each other.

We used to go to a static caravan with PILs,our niece, and our DDs. We all took turns being in charge of the kids, so DH and FIL might go to a beer festival one day, we'd go out for dinner as couples other nights, MIL and I would go for cocktails one afternoon etc. Took turns cooking and tidying. It worked because it was all equal.

Please
or

PutAStopperInTheBellingham · 30/07/2021 23:06

@Henlie*@[email protected]@[email protected] @Aroundtheworldin80moves*, thank you, totally agree that there may be pitfalls, yes. But the idea of memories for the kids is what i like. To make our children aware of the importance of generations that have gone before. It's important, isn't it, to give our children an understanding of their family members who have gone before.
We have the option of using a large communal kitchen for meals, or signing up for bbq/local dinner in the garden, signposted to local markets, and days out to return to a large outside area with local musicians, a bar and a kids' play area. The entire place is geared around allowing adults a relaxed time at the 'base' after a day's sightseeing. Families only.
Good insights from you all, TY, xx

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?