Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone had a positive test before returning from majorca to the uk? What happens?!

15 replies

4everhopeful · 26/07/2021 14:32

Just that really? We are meant to be going on 11th August. DH and I double vaccinated. Kids 11 and 8 and autistic/adhd.

I'm filled with dread at prospect of being transferred and quarantined in a majorcan gov approved covid hotel for 10 days, which according to our hotel is what would happen. My fear is being seperated. (1 child positive, 1 not, or 1 adult positive rest of us not). Also potential extension if we test positive on day 7 for example.

Does anyone have personal experiences they would be willing to share please?

I'm absolutely devestated to be thinking of cancelling. I've heard of many positive fantastic experiences, but just feel that small, but very real chance of a positive result is just not worth it. Sad

OP posts:
Please
or

NiceViper · 26/07/2021 14:39

No personal experience (posting, in part, to bump) but yes you have to quarantine in the way that the county you are in requires of you.

I doubt very much that DC wouid be separated from their parents, not least because it's likely that if one of you tests positive then you'll all have to quarantine.

I hope you have insurance that covers things like additional expenses and rearranged flights if you are required to quarantine

(The hassle of constantly moving goalposts was one of the reasons we decided to have a UK holiday this year)

Please
or

Smartiepants79 · 26/07/2021 14:41

In your circumstances I would not be going I’m afraid.
We have just cancelled a trip to Tenerife in August for exactly the same reasons.
The thought of all the possible what ifs and awfulness that would happen if one of us tested positive was making me feel ill. It wasn’t worth the stress for what is supposed to be a happy and relaxed time!!
Our kids are the same age but with no SEN and even then the thought horrified me.
Personally I’d only go now if it was just me and a DH to worry about.
No one can guarantee it won’t happen to you!

Please
or

WetBench · 26/07/2021 14:44

I wouldn’t be going, but if you go, could you pack an emergency kit if you are in a hotel room in a foreign country? So something to handwash clothes, favourite snacks/travel games/colours that you don’t bring out in the holiday. research say does Amazon with there or something similar.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 26/07/2021 14:46

With your concerns, I think I would cancel.

I've just come back from a Green list country but I had no problems with the prospect of quarantine etc. Plus my children are older and have no SNs.

I don't think your anxiousness over this will make for a relaxing holiday.

Please
or

Amboseli · 26/07/2021 16:26

I totally understand your anxiety. We're in Majorca right now, coming home tomorrow.

I wasn't overly anxious about testing positive once we got out here as I knew we'd be outdoors 95% of the time and the hotel was only booking up to 60% capacity. Also Majorca don't test everyone on arrival unlike Greece.

We did out return lateral flows yesterday and I knew they'd be negative as we have not been near anyone else the whole holiday.

I'm a bit worried about having to isolate when we get home if someone on the flight tests positive but at least we'll have had our holiday and will just wfh.

For us I felt it was a big gamble that could have gone horribly wrong but I couldn't bear the thought of not going on holiday until summer 2022 so we took the risk.

Our children are 15 and 17 though and were fully aware of all the possible pitfalls before we came out here. And we took out fully comprehensive insurance.

Please
or

4everhopeful · 27/07/2021 00:52

Thanks very much everyone. I've overthought this so much now i just don't know what to do for the best.

Such a huge decision to make, effectively based on a what if.. Felt so gutted and down at the prospect of cancelling, just don't know what to do.

OP posts:
Please
or

Pieceofpurplesky · 27/07/2021 01:16

There is a woman on social media somewhere in Spain who is quarantining - her DH and kids are not allowed to be with her as she tested positive and they were negative but have to isolate. So she is on 'Covid floor' and they are on a different floor but all confined

Please
or

AddsVsGeorgs · 27/07/2021 01:20

If one of you were positive, you all would have to go to the government hotel

Please
or

BackIn · 29/07/2021 10:59

@Pieceofpurplesky do you have a link for this please?

Please
or

LittleRen · 29/07/2021 11:05

@AddsVsGeorgs This is not true. It depends on the hotel and where you are, some hotels allow you to stay there.

Please
or

JulesCobb · 29/07/2021 11:09

We were supposed to be in Crete next week but cancelled. Me and DH are double jabbed and have had covid, but the children havent. The thought of having to quarantine in 40 degrees was taking the joy away from holiday planning. It wasn't worth the stress for us.

Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 29/07/2021 11:12

Make sure you have an extra couple of weeks worth of any medical you might be taking.

Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 29/07/2021 11:12

*medication

Please
or

PineapplePatsy · 29/07/2021 11:26

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/i-am-paying-2000-sleep-21114156.amp

This type of article is putting me off going too although I'd love a fortnight in Greece.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 29/07/2021 11:29

@SoupDragon

With your concerns, I think I would cancel.

I've just come back from a Green list country but I had no problems with the prospect of quarantine etc. Plus my children are older and have no SNs.

I don't think your anxiousness over this will make for a relaxing holiday.

We went to Spain in June /July but we had planned before exactly what would happen if one of us tested positive before we came home and due to various things it wouldn’t have been a disaster.
It was the only way I would go abroad and not be a nervous wreck the whole time
It’s the risk you take at the moment, things change (entry tests were brought in 2 days after we arrived) all the time and you need to weigh up the risks
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?