Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Planning trip to Thailand next year with toddler and baby

11 replies

Jorja02 · 16/07/2021 20:56

To lift my spirits and ignore the grim and depressing covid related news I’ve started planning a trip away next year when I’m on maternity leave...I’m thinking of going to Thailand for around 6 weeks with my husband, toddler and new baby. My husband can work remotely so I’ll be with the two kids most days except weekends..we’ve both travelled Asia a lot and been to Thailand a few times.

I’m thinking of renting a villa on one of the islands with its own pool, located close to the main beach and really just spending every day by the pool or beach with the kids. The thing I can’t decide on is when to go / what age would be best for my toddler and baby. My toddler turns 2 in January, baby born this December. I thought I could either go around April when baby still breastfeeding and not mobile so could be easier and don’t have to worry about food hygiene and crawling around on the floor / being hard to contain...or do I wait till the back end of next year when baby around 10 months and toddler almost 3?

Any experiences of taking young kids to Thailand or similar beach holiday with long haul flight much appreciated! Obviously this is under the assumption and hope that things are ‘back to normal’ next year

OP posts:
Please
or

Starryskiesinthesky · 16/07/2021 20:59

We have been a few times with babies and think they are definitely easier when they are not mobile (pre 1) or when they are better walkers 2+. We have been in Singapore, Tioman, Krabi and Phuket with them just staying in beach huts and had a great time!

Please
or

Ozanj · 16/07/2021 21:00

As you have 2 I’d go when one is pre-mobile so you don’t need to factor them into activities as much.

Please
or

Jorja02 · 16/07/2021 21:05

Great thanks! That’s what I was thinking probably best...I need that sweet spot where the baby can sit up but not crawling yet / crawling much yet! That would meal my eldest was only 2.5 but at least walking very well and able to be distracted by a tablet on the plane.

@Starryskiesinthesky I was thinking Koh Tao, I’ve never been to Krabi or Phuket though are they pretty family friendly? Did the babies need special vaccines before you went? Can’t remember if I needed any...

OP posts:
Please
or

Starryskiesinthesky · 17/07/2021 09:20

We have been to Railey Beach quite a few times - got the boat over from Krabi and a taxi to Krabi from Phuket. It’s lovely for a few days. We also went to Phi Phi and I was a bit disappointed with it although loved the boat trip there!

I’ve not been to Koh Tao but everyone says it is lovely too. I love SE Asia!

I don’t remember any of us needing vaccines.

Please
or

ApolloandDaphne · 18/07/2021 13:23

Can your DH definitely work from abroad? At my DHs work they can only work in the country they are based in. He can work easily from home or anywhere in the UK but wouldn't be allowed to work from anywhere else in the world.

Please
or

Jorja02 · 18/07/2021 15:03

@ApolloandDaphne He can, his work is all remote anyway (pre-covid) and he works freelance. We’ve done longer holidays before which is great but obviously having to work is the downside! Just need to find villa / air bnb with decent wifi as it’d be hard for him to work stuck in a hotel room.

OP posts:
Please
or

EllieThornton · 18/07/2021 15:25

Don't go to Thailand in April unless you like things seriously hot! December or January is a lovely time for good, reasonable weather. KohTao is OK, but somewhat small, and can be a bit of a bugger to get to especially with a couple of young kids. Koh Samui, Koh Phangan or even Phuket may be better choices, particularly Phuket and Koh Samui as they have international airports.
I lived in Thailand for twelve years and you really need to be careful about the weather, especially where young children are concerned.

Please
or

Jorja02 · 18/07/2021 15:45

@EllieThornton thanks I’ve been looking at Phuket now as this looks much more family friendly and easier to get to. I’ve only done koh Phangan and koh tao previously for parties and diving but Phuket has water parks, safaris etc and you’re right, 2x planes plus boat to koh tao would be very far for young kids. I’d love to do more of the mainland too and get sleeper train to chiang mai but when they’re a lot older I think! I’ll look at going next nov/dec even though baby 2 will be a trickier age. We’ve been caught in horrific monsoon and flooding before in Thailand, having to jump over hotel balconies (close together!) to exit hotels so definitely want to avoid that...

OP posts:
Please
or

HalzTangz · 18/07/2021 15:49

@Jorja02

Great thanks! That’s what I was thinking probably best...I need that sweet spot where the baby can sit up but not crawling yet / crawling much yet! That would meal my eldest was only 2.5 but at least walking very well and able to be distracted by a tablet on the plane.

*@Starryskiesinthesky* I was thinking Koh Tao, I’ve never been to Krabi or Phuket though are they pretty family friendly? Did the babies need special vaccines before you went? Can’t remember if I needed any...

You don't need vaccines for thailand at present, though that rule could change would covid.
Is thailand accepting bookings, I know they shut there borders down for pretty much the whole pandemic. My father lives in Indonesia but usually has his medical appointments in Thailand and hasn't been allowed entry since December 2019/Jan 2020
Please
or

HalzTangz · 18/07/2021 15:50

@ApolloandDaphne

Can your DH definitely work from abroad? At my DHs work they can only work in the country they are based in. He can work easily from home or anywhere in the UK but wouldn't be allowed to work from anywhere else in the world.

This is the same for my company
Please
or

Jorja02 · 18/07/2021 15:57

@HalzTangz thanks, yes I certainly won’t be booking anything until nearer the time when we have a clearer idea of what’s happening here, there, the world! I’m hoping late next year isn’t too ambitious though but who knows..I had a browse on air bnb for villas which seemed to be accepting bookings but not sure about flights and would need a tourist visa for over 30 days

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?