Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

In RESORT Covid tests for return- confused!

25 replies

PlumpCushion · 11/07/2021 08:07

I’m travelling to a Greek island with EasyJet but am still really confused about the in RESORT testing before we RETURN.

Does anyone know if we can take a test kit with us? (Obviously I’m not expecting specific advice about my undisclosed Greek island destination. Found a clinic there but no idea if their test result email is acceptable to the uk and would rather take a kit with me if possible )

There’s so much on line about ore departure tests leaving uk and day 2 and day 8 once back. In resort /pre return flight testing is proving much harder to research!

OP posts:
Please
or

PlumpCushion · 11/07/2021 08:08

*pre not ore

OP posts:
Please
or

PlumpCushion · 11/07/2021 08:28

Okay, having now found answers to my own question, I’m going to post my top tip for independent travellers to Greece: look for sailing holiday providers that serve the UK market then ignore their pricing (eg ignore Sunsail prices) but use their info to find the local clinics they are recommending and book direct with them.

OP posts:
Please
or

silkience · 11/07/2021 09:53

Hi plump, I believe you can complete a test yourself in your hotel? Look at the tui test packages on their site. It looks like the result is logged by video?

Please
or

silkience · 11/07/2021 09:53

If tui are offering this then there must be a way of getting these kits independently

Please
or

greywell · 11/07/2021 09:57

There are providers like Breathe Assured and Collinson who do these.

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 11/07/2021 10:44

Thanks everyone. I can get them on the Greek island for 20-30 euros each and that will take the stress out of any test administration problems! Collinson are £42 each- thanks for the tip. I’d be a bit concerned about the wifi/ video call issues tbh

OP posts:
Please
or

PlumpCushion · 11/07/2021 10:49

We’re in a villa and it’s fairly remote so wifi could be an issue!

OP posts:
Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 11/07/2021 10:51

No idea about Greece but we just flew back from Spain and we had tests at a clinic there the day before. We made an appointment and then waited 15 minutes for the printed results which we had to show to get on the plane. There was a test centre at the airport but we couldn’t get an appointment the day we flew and I felt it was too stressful just turning up and hoping to get a test in time.
Cost us 120E for 4

Please
or

99victoria · 11/07/2021 11:54

We're just back from Kefalonia- located the nearest clinic via SM when we arrived and made appointments for the day before we flew home.
Had test, waited around an hour to get the result, €20 each

Please
or

PlumpCushion · 11/07/2021 12:20

@99victoria, I think we’ll do that as the video call sounds stressful

OP posts:
Please
or

PlumpCushion · 11/07/2021 12:21

Glad it went smoothly for you and hopping

OP posts:
Please
or

greywell · 11/07/2021 13:22

I have found I can do mine locally too, so wishing I hadn’t booked Collinsons!

Please
or

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon · 11/07/2021 13:24

We've booked Breathe Assured for our return tests. We're travelling around quite a bit so don't want the hassle of having to find tests somewhere. I've already got the tests to pack with us (and the video call appointment) and the trip isn't until next month.

Please
or

MargosKaftan · 11/07/2021 17:00

For those who have done this - do you self test with a LFT or is it a pcr test needed to get back in the UK? Also do you do the test yourself or do they do it for you?

Do you have to be videoed doing the whole test ?

Sorry for the questions- we've just had our UK holiday cancelled as they had double booked a load of people. Im debating taking my refund and jetting off somewhere but trying to work out if the testing will stress out dc2.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 11/07/2021 17:22

It was an antigen test to return to The UK and it was done in a clinic with the results in 20 minutes.
This was in Spain

Please
or

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon · 11/07/2021 17:47

You need either an LFT or a PCR to return to the UK. You can either visit a clinic/testing centre abroad and do it there or book to do an LFT via video call (we are doing this with Breathe Assured).

Please
or

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon · 11/07/2021 17:49

Oh and it's only 12 and over who will need to do the test before you return, but 5 and overs will need to do the day 2 PCR test (which you can do in the privacy of your own house by post).

Please
or

MargosKaftan · 11/07/2021 18:12

Oh so under 12s don't have to test to get on a plane home?! Because that means only dh and I would need to and that becomes more manageable- especially as the one at home will be less stressful.

Off to look at government website and then holidays.

(Slightly furious that the £1k holiday cottage that was cancelled would need to be replaced by a £2.5k one in the UK for the same week and none look quite as nice, the med is calling...)

Please
or

NoMoreLimbo · 12/07/2021 16:57

@BlackLambAndGreyFalcon I thought it was 'Children aged 10 and under do not need to take a test.' Where have you seen only 12 and over??? Or @MargosKaftan did you see the info when you googled it? I have an 11 year old who suffers from terrible anxiety and other things so it they do not need that one test it would make things a tad easier.

Please
or

MargosKaftan · 12/07/2021 17:03

If you go on the tui website they have an idiot guide!

So under 4s don't test at all if coming back from a green or Amber.

5-10s don't need to have a negative test to get on the plane to UK, but will have to test 2 days after getting to UK.

11 upwards need to have a test 2 days before getting on flight to UK and then 2 days after.

Each country have different rules about what they want you to do before they let you in.

Please
or

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon · 12/07/2021 18:22

Apologies @NomoreLimbo I mistyped. It is 11 and over for the preflight tests.

Please
or

NoMoreLimbo · 12/07/2021 22:32

@MargosKaftan thanks for clarifying @BlackLambAndGreyFalcon I really hoped you would be right. So more tests to book. I just hope rules don’t change again!!

Please
or

Loueytb3 · 13/07/2021 09:57

[quote PlumpCushion]@99victoria, I think we’ll do that as the video call sounds stressful[/quote]
@99victoria
- we are off to Kefalonia (I hope) next month. Can you share where you got the tests done? I'm assuming these were antigen tests?

Please
or

99victoria · 13/07/2021 10:06

We were staying a few miles from Argostoli (the capital) so we went to a place called BioTech which is just off the main square. You need to make an appointment but everyone there speaks excellent English.
If you are staying in another part of the island I believe there are also testing places in Skala and Lixouri
I went onto SM before we went and got information from locals- everyone was very helpful
Also, heads-up, they are testing all UK arrivals at the airport at the moment.

Please
or

99victoria · 13/07/2021 10:07

Yes, antigen tests - make sure you clarify that when you book as PCRs will be more expensive

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?