Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Holiday with a toddler

9 replies

MumTeacherWife21 · 08/07/2021 21:44

So my first holiday as a mum. We are off to Menorca. My baby girl is 20 months. Any advice on what to take with me or are there any tips you may have to help us relax a bit (my parents are coming so that should help) Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 09/07/2021 06:24

Order all your toddler food and nappies/baby wipes that you will need at the airport (both ends) and during the flight from Boots for collection after all security checks. This will hopefully save you some time in the security queue as you will have less liquids to be checked and will save room in your carry-on luggage. Visit Boots website add any supplies needed into your normal online shopping basket. You can order milk, food, nappies, bottles, suntan lotion, makeup – basically anything they sell. When checking out, select delivery to store. Delivery is free on orders over £20. The system will ask you to search for a store, choose your airport. Be careful that you have selected the correct store as some airports have stores before security, as well as after security and several terminals.
I always bought my nappies on holiday- just the local brand but I took swim nappies (enough for two or three a day) - they were much more expensive. Also I found that not many places sell nappy bags. go. I read that the Dodot brand in Spain was just as good as Pampers, so we bought a pack locally. They were miles cheaper and when I opened them I found they actually were Pampers Simply Dry with a different name (made by Proctor and Gamble just the same). When buying nappies you’ll need to know your baby’s weight in kilograms.
I'd take a swim ring. I hate arm bands! Even with a float suit, you still have to be guiding them the whole time because if they tip forward they might not be able to right themselves. A swim ring will allow you more freedom.
If your dd is sharing your room, it might help to bring a headtorch if you have one so you can do nappy changes etc... without turning the main light on and disturbing your sleeping OH!

For flying…
Give your dd a drink whilst taking off and landing to relieve any pressure in her ears. Either that or encourage her to suck your finger or a dummy (that works for longer!).
Make sure you have at least one change of clothes on the flight and bring a spare top for yourself. Just in case!
Put hand luggage in a back pack so you have your hands free.
Most airlines will allow you to take the pushchair right up to the plane door and then staff will pop it under with the luggage. Ask at check-in whether you get it back on the Tarmac once you've landed or whether it will turn up on the carousel. You should get priority boarding.

Please
or

Imcatmum · 09/07/2021 06:32

There is no such thing as a holiday with a toddler! Though with one, you might get some peace when she naps😁 I'd say if you can get your parents to mind her for a few chunks of time that would help a lot. I found as a mum I was still ALWAYS on duty even with a lovely DH and my parents with us😭 (I had two toddlers and a baby on the last two foreign holidays though).

Have fun!

Please
or

whiteroseredrose · 09/07/2021 06:34

Be prepared to spend a lot of time indoors!

We took DS twice, each time in early May, at 18 months and 2 1/2. He hated the heat and cried constantly. We spent the days inside in air conditioning and only ventured out in the evening when it was cooler, with him asleep in a pushchair.

Please
or

Sleepthieved · 09/07/2021 06:34

We recently had a first holiday with 2yo (in the UK but still)
What worked well was taking fruit/yoghurt pouches and oat bars so she could have breakfast before we went down to breakfast at the hotel - just made things so much more relaxed! We took cartons of premixed formula instead of her usual cows milk.
Puzzles and playmobil 123 as small portable toys (decant the Puzzles into ziploc bags)
We didn't take a buggy as she hadn't been in one for about 6 months - what a mistake to make!! Definitely taking one on the next trip, just to help when rushing for trains etc. We also planned far too many sightseeing activities, which wasn't manageable, so next time we'll stick to one activity a day (not the 3 or 4 we stupidly planned!!)
Have a wonderful, wonderful time on your first family holiday!!!!

Please
or

ThatDreamSheep · 09/07/2021 06:38

We bought a little paddling pool, he could have a splash by the main pool which was nice but a bit safer and if you have a balcony you could keep it there and warm the water up so he could have a splash when we were in the room as well.

Please
or

nonsensenow · 09/07/2021 07:01

Peelable stickers kept mine 2 year old entertained for ages on the plane. We took a plastic wallet to stick them back on to before leaving the plane.

Please
or

Snorkello · 09/07/2021 07:41

Not going to lie, this is the most challenging age to take them away. They are on the move but can’t be reasoned with. They don’t sit still on the plane, and with naps, you can get stuck in a hotel room most afternoons. Good shout to take the in-laws. Also, they can’t walk too far, so don’t plan too many excursions.

Take a cheap stroller rather than a large buggy.

Take lots of changes of clothes on the flight in case of air sickness, plus carrier bags and wipes.

Convince your oh to have dc on HIS lap Grin

Careful with balconies and pools. Someone must always be on duty to watch them like a hawk!

Take arm bands for swimming, plus swim pants.

Take one or two baby books, maybe some crayons and colouring book. One teddy. Don’t bother with toys except maybe bucket and spade. There will be plenty to keep her occupied.

Make sure there is a crib at the hotel and take a small blanket just in case.

Take all your own nappies, wipes, nappy bags.

I echo taking a drink and dummy in the flight, plus snacks.

It will be fab! If at times stressful. do ask your in-laws to have her for an evening so you and your partner can have a night off.

Enjoy the sunshine!

Please
or

SheldonandAmy · 09/07/2021 07:46

Get all in one UV sunsuits for swimming and the beach, far less places to apply sun cream.
Depending on location a small inflatable paddling pool can be great to be used in the villa with or without water, or by the pool side to keep them entertained.
Relax all ideas of a routine and just go with the flow. Pack plenty of snacks to avoid meltdowns!

Please
or

Ju11tne · 09/07/2021 18:27

Keep your buggy right until you board the plane! It's much easier for you.

Take things like calpol just in case.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?