Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

What can I take on the plane???

10 replies

tanyac · 08/10/2002 22:17

Hi, myself, my husband and our five month old baby are travelling to Australia next week. We are flying with Korean Air and have paid 10% of the adult fare for our baby's ticket. Can we take our Mamas and Papas car seat and base into the cabin?, and does the baby have a luggage allowance?. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions upon the size and weight of the pushchair we want to put in the hold? We have a Mamas and Papas Converse travel system which has quite a wide chasis and a seat unit. I've tried to get these answers from the airline, but always end up more confused when I hang up the phone!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Eve · 08/10/2002 22:25

I have flown frequently with small children in Europe but not long haul.

You can't take the car seat and base into the cabin, its too big, but generally you are allowed to take it to the gate if you want to carry your child in it, otherwise check it in as outsize luggage on arrival.

I have never gone across any restrictions on size of pram/puschair and they are generally not weighed as part of luggage allowance. Again take to the gate whatever you

I suggest you try and pre-book a bulk-head seat and cot for baby, that way when he/she wants to go to sleep they won't be on your knee.

..and I have been told by Consultant (of the Doctor type) that a double dose of Calpol works a treat at putting them to sleep.

Please
or

Scatterbrain · 08/10/2002 22:30

I'd take ear-plugs - not to block out lovely baby noises but to block out the inevitable tuttings of the childless when baby cries ! Also - pack a thick skin !

Have you spoken to your GP about Fennugan (or however you spell it ?) - a quite legal knock out medication available on prescription which could make life an awful lot easier for you.

Please
or

SueW · 09/10/2002 09:18

Personally I wouldn't be happy to double dose medication without medical supervision.

Following DD's recent op the anaesthetist said she was happy for DD to have up to 50% more than the recommended dose of Calpol. However, she wasn't happy about the Nurofen dose as stated on the bottle (felt DD was too light for the dose) and recommended that she should only be given 2/3 of that.

Please
or

Manx · 09/10/2002 10:01

Hello, i'm new here but am experienced on long-haul flights. Infants (up to 2 years) pay 10% of adult fares but don't have any luggage allowance. I agree with Eve in that you should book a baby bassinet and blukhead seat which means you don't need to lug the car seat / base on. (Save the car seat for over 2 year olds who get their own seat.)

You can bring the pushchair right to the door of the plane, when they'll ask you to fold it. If the plane's not full, they'll generally stow it for you on the plane if you ask nicely. Otherwise, they'll put it in the hold straightaway. Make sure you ask whether they can bring it back to you when you arrive, or you will have to pick it up with your luggage.

Do you have a sling? I found it was easier strapping them in close to you, which meant they often fell asleep quicker / cried less, and still left your arms free for carry-on luggage.

Don't worry too much, tanyac, the little ones tend to be lulled by the hum of the plane and sleep pretty well. I would definitely try and adjust to new feeding times as early as possible, even if it means waking them to feed.

I hope this helps!

Please
or

chiara71 · 09/10/2002 10:05

tanyac

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions but good luck with your trip, I travel frequently in Europe with dd on my own, and hate it now, but it was easier up until she started crawling. at 5 months she was very interested in everything that was in the plane and we were lucky enough to sit next to people with chikdren.
I usually fly ryanair and she doesn't pay (just a small admin fee) but has no luggage allowance.

sorry could not be of more help

Please
or

SoupDragon · 09/10/2002 10:23

We've flown with Virgin to Florida a few times with small children.

My thoughts are that there's no point taking the carseat into the cabin. Firstly, unless you've specifically paid the fare for a seat for your baby there will be no where to put it and secondly, the seat may not actually be safe fastened in an airplane seat - and some airlines do not let you do this.

Unless you've paid for a seat for your baby, they have no luggage allowance beyond the pushchair (and possibly a carseat going in the hold)

Definitely phone the airline to reserve a skycot/bassinet and bulkhead seats. However, you have to take your baby out if there's turbulence which is a pain when they're asleep. Still, it's good to have somewhere to put them so you don't have to hold them all the time.

Don't think there's a restriction on size/weight of pushchair.

Try to feed your baby on takeoff/landing/whenever you feel the pressure in your ears. I mean BF or bottle, not pureed carrot!!

Take a small change bag for your baby as the toilets aren't that big!

Look at your baby's ticket - you should be able to see if it says Infant or "No seat" on it to see if they will be on your lap. If they'll be on your lap, ask at check in if the flight is full. If it's not full, you may be able to get the window and aisle of a set of 3 allocated to you and it's unlikely that the middle seat will be allocated to someone else.

Something like "Medised Infant" cold medicine will make your baby drowsy and is suitable for the under ones. Be careful with Phenergen - I've heard horror stories of it making children hyper after just a short nap if not administered at a genuine nap time (probably more of a problem with an older baby). A friend flew to Oz with 12 month old twins and her GP prescribed something drowsy for them (the twins, not the parents!) so this may be worth trying.

Good luck and have fun!

Please
or

SoupDragon · 09/10/2002 11:28

OK, I need to get a life...

From the Korean Air Website , the following information is available on baggage allowance for infants:

"Infants paying 10% or less of the applicable adult fare: One fully collapsible stroller/push chair or infant carry basket or infant car seat may be carried into the passenger cabin subject to space availability"

This is under "In Flight Service" then click the Guidelines" link and it's at the very bottom.

There is no mention of Sky Cots.

Please
or

GillW · 09/10/2002 11:37

Definately take the pushcahir to the boarding gate - if you try to be helpful by checking it in and taking the baby in a sling, they'll sometimes try to count it as part of your luggage allowance, which they don't if you take it to the gate.

Airlines vary a lot about their policies - we've had problems in the past with BA whose published policy on carrying pushchairs is a very woolly "usually" which can change between outwards and return flights! Air Canada on the other hand give a baby a 1-piece luggage allowance, plus pushchair, plus carseat, plus travel cot. Guess which we'll be using next time?

Please
or

LIZS · 09/10/2002 19:39

Haven't travelled long haul with kids in tow but recently was at 'Swiss desk' at Zurich and they made it clear that only umbrella folding buggies were allowed to gate - others including 3 wheelers(a favorite here) had to be checked in as Hold Baggage.

However we have travelled two return trips back to UK with Swiss and been able to use the Rockatot on a spare seat twice even though officially we did not have a seat for dd. Not sure if the fixing kit only fitted Britax(Romer) and Maxi Cosi.

By the way if travelling from UK make sure that baby nail scissors are packed into hold luggage - we had ours confiscated at Birmingham last time out. Ironic, as you can buy razors etc at Boots Airside.

hth

LizS

Please
or

MaggieW · 11/10/2002 19:51

I flew to NZ earlier this year with my 5 month old - it's a great age to do it. If your car seat is one of the bucket style ones then yes, you prob will be able to take it into cabin. However, even though you've paid 10% you haven't booked a seat so it may be a waste of time lugging it on board if there are no seats avail. A good idea is to get you or your partner to check out the seating situation at the back of thte plane when you get on. Airlines fill planes from the front so if there are spare seats, they'll be down there. Chat up the air crew and they will give you an indication of how full the flight is. Re baggage allowance, usually 10kg for infants, not including hand luggage. On all sectors of my flight, I took buggy to door and it was returned to me at the door when I got off each time. It's worth booking assistance at the airport...you dont' get it unless you ask for it beforehand ie ask for it via airline. It means a person will arrange to meet you at check in to take you through to the gate ie swiftly through security etc. Also useful in foreign airports if you have to change flights. Even more useful when you arrive back in the UK and you're feeling like you've been through the wringer! Have a great holiday.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?