Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Different surname to son

11 replies

squishyegg · 29/06/2021 09:08

Hello,

My mum is taking my son on holiday abroad but my son doesn't have the same surname as her...

Does she need to take anything else? Not even sure what!

OP posts:
Please
or

TheresWaldo · 29/06/2021 09:09

I would write a letter to give her explaining she has your permission, and a copy of his BC.

Please
or

squishyegg · 29/06/2021 09:12

Fab okay thank you! Now to dig out the birth certificate!

OP posts:
Please
or

SamBeckettsLastLeap · 29/06/2021 09:16

Are they going within the EU? Easier if they are (or at least used to be Brexit may have changed that)

If you have a passport (and have the same surname) it is worth taking a photocopy and writing on it that you give permission for your mum to take him abroad. I travel a lot (pre covid anyway) and only once have I had ant difficulties and having the signed copy from my son's father solved it.

Please
or

Dogsandbabies · 29/06/2021 09:16

Second that. My DD often travels with my dad and I always give him a letter and a birth certificate. It possibly does help that me and my dad have the same surname but they have never had any trouble through the border.

Please
or

squishyegg · 29/06/2021 09:18

That's great info thank you. Yes within EU. My mum is selling her villa so needs to sort out last bits and has offered to take my son for a mini holiday.

I'll do the passport thing- that's a good idea!

OP posts:
Please
or

Okcookie · 29/06/2021 09:19

I've travelled abroad just with my son who has a different surname.

Never had a problem, never thought to take any proof that he's mine.

I guess he does look a lot like me!

Please
or

SamBeckettsLastLeap · 29/06/2021 10:25

@Okcookie

I've travelled abroad just with my son who has a different surname.

Never had a problem, never thought to take any proof that he's mine.

I guess he does look a lot like me!

I would seriously recommend doing so in the future, we've travelled extensively and even have the same surname and he is old enough to articulate, however the one time we were questioned it was actually quite scary.
years ago I'd read on here that it was worth getting a photocopy of his father's passport and just used to pack it with the insurance etc, I was very relieved when I could produce it and they let us go on our way. As I said this was once out of hundreds of trips but I'm glad I had it.
Please
or

Okcookie · 29/06/2021 11:39

@SamBeckettsLastLeap
Bit late for that, he's almost grown up!

Seriously, I never gave it a second thought through all our travels and no one batted an eyelid at different surnames.

He was very much a mini me when he was younger though.

Sorry you had hassle that can't have been pleasant.

Please
or

SamBeckettsLastLeap · 29/06/2021 11:53

[quote T2tjb29raWVdKipASamBeckettsLastLeap**
Bit late for that, he's almost grown up!

Seriously, I never gave it a second thought through all our travels and no one batted an eyelid at different surnames.

He was very much a mini me when he was younger though.

Sorry you had hassle that can't have been pleasant.[/quote]
That's alright then. I just tend to share as a random poster on here saved me from what may have been significant hassle, I'd traveled loads before I read about it, and tbh I was a bit Hmm at the need for it, but I was very grateful my anal side won out and I had it with me.

Please
or

Geamhradh · 02/07/2021 12:23

www.gov.uk/permission-take-child-abroad

There's the govt advice.
You can download template letters easily. It's nothing to do with having different surnames, it's to stop (usually parental) abduction.

You may be stopped, you may not.
I have travelled alone with DD for almost 17 years, usually 5-6 times a year, usually between UK and Italy. Have never once been asked for any consent letter upon leaving the UK, am frequently asked upon entering. Opposite with Italy- often asked on exit, rarely if ever on entry.

Please
or

Geamhradh · 02/07/2021 12:25

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that the consent may be required even if one parent is travelling and the other isn't.

Bizarrely, I was once bringing a group of Italians over to the UK and needed no permission to have them with me, but I did for my own daughter!

Some countries are hotter on it than others. Some require a proper notarized consent letter. Best to check on the country's website.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?